Tamron 28-200 f2.8 vs Sony 24-105 f4

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

GlynRDav

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Glyn
I have a Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM and I want to take more landscape photos. i find that I have to swap between 20-70 and 70-200 (Sony f2.8 GM mk II). I am thinking about trading the 24-70 for either a Tamron 28-200 or Sony 24-105.
I have read very good reviews on the Tamron, but not so good reviews on the Sony.
I would really appreciate any feedback on either or both lenses.
TIA
Glyn

I have the 24-105 and there's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes I think reviewers need to be controversial to get clicks. I'm not saying you should choose it over the Tamron, just saying don't believe everything you read. The best way to review a lens is image samples from as many sources as possible, not someone's opinion.

DSC00134 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00145 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00165 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00170 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00180 by telecast, on Flickr

Years ago (I mean like over two decades ago), when I shot film most standard zooms started at 28mm (something like 28-70 or 28-80). Later 24-70 became the standard, along with 24-105 (I used both when I was with Canon film then digital). I found that 24mm was the perfect wide angle setting and I use this lens at that more than any other focal length (though of course I do use the entire range). With my former lenses that started at 28mm, I found 28 was often not quite wide enough, whereas 24mm is just about perfect.

You need to ask yourself how often you shoot at the wide end with your 24-70 and if 28mm would be wide enough for your needs. Likewise you need to ask yourself if you are often not able to get close enough because 70mm is not enough zoom. If that is the case, 105 will help some but it's not a huge difference. Going to 200 will be more useful, but only if you do not often shoot at 24mm (since the Tamron starts at 28mm).

The lens you have now is a GM so it is sharper than the alternatives you are considering. It also has a faster f2.8 aperture. I don't know many people who would give up a stellar lens like that to intentionally downgrade, but if you are missing shots because you don't want to swap lenses (or carry two lenses) then maybe it is worth it. Bottom line: see what you need more, 24-28mm or 105-200mm. You could also rent both from LensRentals.com to test the feel and sharpness (against your current lens before you trade).

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. Fred, you make some very compelling points and as of now, I am still thinking and therefore stick with what I have now and experiment with 2 lenses.
I love your images, Tim. All looks very sharp

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back