Tamron 35–150 F2-2.8 or the Sony 24–70 F2.8 GM II

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

ZaboAA

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Valz1202$%
Going back and forth on these two. New to the Sony world coming from Nikon. I always stuck with Nikon len's and avoided 3rd parties, but the Tameron has some seriously great reviews. Right now I only have the Sony 16-35 f2.8 and 200-600 G. The Tameron would slide in nicely.

Anyine have experience with both? Any other constructive thought appreciated.

I really like Tamron lenses, super sharp and beautifully made. I had 2 on my old Nikon, still in use by Mrs Kev, and have a 24mm 2.8 on the Sony, which is fantastic (and a bargain!) With your current lenses the Tamron makes more sense IMO, and the only negatives I've seen about it are to do with AF being a little lacking on fast moving subjects, it's not quite as quick as a native lens. That's not unusual though.

From the reviews I've seen both lenses are excellent and the Tamron lenses typically focus better than other third-party lenses, possibly because Sony owns shares in Tamron, but that's just speculating! :) Although I think both lenses are equally difficult to obtain right now.

I have one Tamron, the 17-28, and it's outstanding. I would not hesitate at all to get the 35-150 if it weren't such an oddball focal range. It's almost as if they decided to make it just because it wasn't already available. The aperture is a huge plus though. If they'd just make the wide end at least 28 would make a big difference. Having said that, the 24-70 is too narrow for my liking, so I chose the 24-105.

As long as you're happy with the range get the Tamron. But before you decide, look at a lot of image samples comparing 24mm to 35mm, that much difference at the wide end is a LOT.

Thanks for the input everyone, I did a 90 degree turn. LOL, Well, I used and shot my friends 70-200 GM II. It blew me away, what a lens. Put an order in B&H and got a shipping notice today. I have to delay buying a mid range zoom for a couple months. He is getting 24-70 GM2 soon , so I can tray that out also.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back