Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
This is an experiment using the 135 GM in conjunction w a 26mm Extension Tube set to determine any difference in image size and quality. Unfortunately, the constant wind caused a moving target and my success at an optimal balance betw DoF and shutter speed was not successful. The best image was still soft. I applied a little post-sharpening that didn't help much. I'm continuing to experiment w Tubes to improve IQ — since I obviously need more practice using Tubes. And will add them to this post here on this thread. Others using tubes are welcome.

DSC08868-C Tandem Bugs.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 135mm F1.8 GM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 100

Different angle:
DSC08785-B  Tandem Bugs.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 135mm F1.8 GM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Different angle:
DSC08811-B  Tandem Bugs.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 135mm F1.8 GM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

Different angle:
DSC08793-B  Tandem Bugs.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 135mm F1.8 GM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
Not sure if that is what I would call a tandem jump, more like a .......NVM.
I have just got a set of tubes, more difficult than one would think, look forward to seeing your experiments and tips.
I tried using a 24-70 with them, gives a little more flexibility. Is longer better at DOF? I bought Kenko tubes that can
allow auto focus but it seems marginal. Also they don't fit as tight as the normal lens-body.
Thanks

Not sure if that is what I would call a tandem jump, more like a .......NVM.
🤫

Is longer better at DOF?
What is longer? Focal distance or focal length? The longer the distance to the subject the deeper the DoF.

In general, the smaller the focal distance (cam to subj), the shallower the DoF. But, that can be tricky. At a stationary distance betw subject and camera, shorter focal lengths (wide-angle lenses) have a deeper DoF. Conversely, long focal lengths (tele-lenses), have a shallower DoF (assuming distance betw cam and subject didn’t change).

However, focal length does not actually change DoF if you adjust the camera-subject distance so that the magnification of your subject is the same regardless of the lens (focal length) being used. That’s my understanding. And every time I try to explain this, I confuse myself.

f-stop selection seems a better/easier factor for calculating (guessing) the desired DoF; at least for me.

I bought Kenko tubes..... Also they don't fit as tight as the normal lens-body.
I also have Kenko for Sony alpha E-mounts FF. Interesting you mention it, on my set the tubes, they are tight in cam flange and lens flange, but there is significant twisting play betw the two tubes themselves. ie. lens barrel rotates slightly if twisted. I considered returning them, but still on the fence since it doesn't seem affect much, just annoying they don't fit tight.

I'll keep updating this thread as I learn more on tubes thru experimenting.

Attachments

• Depth_of_field.jpg
    Depth_of_field.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the input, mine are a little loose at the tube body, I am still to try stacking tubes.

This is an experiment using the 135 GM in conjunction w a 26mm Extension Tube set to determine any difference in image size and quality. Unfortunately, the constant wind caused a moving target and my success at an optimal balance betw DoF and shutter speed was not successful. The best image was still soft. I applied a little post-sharpening that didn't help much. I'm continuing to experiment w Tubes to improve IQ — since I obviously need more practice using Tubes. And will add them to this post here on this thread. Others using tubes are welcome.

View attachment 10920
Different angle:
View attachment 10927

Different angle:
View attachment 10928

Different angle:
View attachment 10929
You seem fixated on one type of subject.........

You seem fixated on one type of subject.........
My psychologist wants to know if you are evaluating or projecting. After all, I simply see two young kids practicing tandem jumping maneuvers before they get their license to use a parachute. Others seem to fantasize other interpretations/conclusions. Perhaps everybody has been away from the singles pubs too long during this Covid lockdown. Imaginations tend to wander. 😇

My psychologist wants to know if you are evaluating or projecting. After all, I simply see two young kids practicing tandem jumping maneuvers before they get their license to use a parachute. Others seem to fantasize other interpretations/conclusions. Perhaps everybody has been away from the singles pubs too long during this Covid lockdown. Imaginations tend to wander. 😇
I'm speechless!

I'm speechless!

Really.... I've never seen you speechless before. :oops:...... I must call Guinness! :D

Though I admit this set was a bit repetitious. I was testing a theory someone had posed earlier about using extension tubes w long lenses. So I went a little nut-so on this shoot because I had two willing victims who managed to remain still while I played with my 135 using the tubes. Only ~ 10% were acceptable. The wind was blowing the plant leaf constantly. Hard to balance DoF w shutter speed w subject moving in wind at varying speeds.
Conversely, dragons usually don't hang around long enough to shoot at various angles to capture the best specimen shot.

P.S. -- I later found some other Japanese beetles (like these) eating my garden green bean leaves. I can't believe these guys flew all the way across the Pacific just to eat my beans.

Last edited:
Back