Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I have been using a Sony A74 (with battery grip) and FE 200-600 lens (plus occasionally 1.4x) for just over one year. I bought it after renting one to replace my Nikon 500 PF because I wanted the versatility of a zoom. I have still been using my Nikon D850's for my shorter lenses. The lens is stellar - well built and tack sharp - but I find it's a bit heavy for walkaround use. I also never really loved the Sony camera body (though I did not hate it either). I realized that for my needs, adding a Nikon 80-400 to my current lineup and sticking with my D850's will suit my needs best. This morning I dropped off my Sony gear at a local shop for consignment.

This is not to say that Sony is bad, because all modern cameras produce stellar results and we are spoiled for choice. All of you will continue to enjoy your Sony cameras and use them to produce outstanding results, just as Nikon and Canon and Fuji and (even - gasp - Pentax) users will. I have enjoyed my time on this forum and found it a postive place to post and discuss. This post is mainly my way of saying goodbye and thanks for the memories. I wish you all a lifetime of happy shooting.

(BTW my gear is in like new condition. If you are interested in any of it, you can do an internet search for Tucson Camera Repair to get their contact info.)

Fred

Mate, you've always been a gentleman and a class act around here. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. Your absence will not go unnoticed.

Giving a heads up about what is happening instead of just going AWOL on us, I wouldn't expect anything else from you. All the best my friend. 🌞

I have been using a Sony A74 (with battery grip) and FE 200-600 lens (plus occasionally 1.4x) for just over one year. I bought it after renting one to replace my Nikon 500 PF because I wanted the versatility of a zoom. I have still been using my Nikon D850's for my shorter lenses. The lens is stellar - well built and tack sharp - but I find it's a bit heavy for walkaround use. I also never really loved the Sony camera body (though I did not hate it either). I realized that for my needs, adding a Nikon 80-400 to my current lineup and sticking with my D850's will suit my needs best. This morning I dropped off my Sony gear at a local shop for consignment.

This is not to say that Sony is bad, because all modern cameras produce stellar results and we are spoiled for choice. All of you will continue to enjoy your Sony cameras and use them to produce outstanding results, just as Nikon and Canon and Fuji and (even - gasp - Pentax) users will. I have enjoyed my time on this forum and found it a postive place to post and discuss. This post is mainly my way of saying goodbye and thanks for the memories. I wish you all a lifetime of happy shooting.

(BTW my gear is in like new condition. If you are interested in any of it, you can do an internet search for Tucson Camera Repair to get their contact info.)

Fred
Fred sorry to see you leave Sony Alpha Shooters , I know you have struggled with the change to Sony so best wishes Mate and I hope Nikon suits your needs going forward :)

Will definitely miss you on the forum, always enjoyed your inputs, but fully understand that everyone has different needs and preferences when it comes to camera gear. For me, changing from Canon to Sony opened up a new world, but I know a number of people who disagree with me on that. Wishing you all the best going forward!

Fred
I will mis your art and creativity and thoughts. Best!

Thanks for sharing your photos and contributing to the forum Fred. See you around the internets!

Yes, if any of you nature photographers want a good nature photography forum (for all brands), I recently joined Backcountry Gallery forums under the same username.
I will give it a look Fred, thanks for letting us know where you will be hanging out

Fred
Hi, Fred,
In my short time here, you were a standout and I appreciated your contributions. Thank you for those.
Enjoy your new lens and wherever you go with that.
ST

When I ran into the issue of the Sony 200-600mm (also fondly AKA "The Bazooka") being a bit too unwieldy and heavy for me to carry around on walks and such, I simply bought the excellent 100-400mm GM: problem solved! I did keep the "Bazooka," too, but use it primarily on a tripod or sometimes supported against my deck railing.

Sorry to see you go, Fred! You will enjoy Steve Perry's Back Country site! He shoots primarily with Nikon and also has shot with Sony, and offers valuable information on shooting wildlife. I've got a couple of his e-books. Since you are a Nikon user, you might also want to look in on Nikon Cafe,
( nikoncafe.com ) too, where there are a lot of shooters using both F-mount and Z-mount Nikon gear to shoot wildlife and many other things.

Best of luck to you in your future shooting endeavors!

Good luck to you on your photo journey, I loved working with the Nikon D800s when I was working, great cameras. It took me awhile to get to the point where I do not miss the optical viewfinder but I also believe one should shoot what you are comfortable with. Enjoy the new lens.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you are leaving us Fred. Your contributions here will certainly be missed by many. Enjoy shooting with your Nikon again and please don't delete your account just in case you come back to Sony one day :)

HI Fred, I've only just seen this, sorry to see you go. While I've only been in this group for a very short time, I very much enjoyed your comments, posts and photographs. Keep shooting and stay in focus.

I had my Sony gear on consignment for over a month and also listed it on the sales thread on BackCountry Gallery with no takers (most users there shoot Nikon). I picked it up from the shop about a month ago with the intention of sending it to KEH and taking what I could get. However I changed my mind and decided to keep it because I realized there are times I will need 600mm (or even 840mm with my Sony 1.4x). So now I still have a two camera system with one more lens (the Nikon 80-400). Instead of consolidating like I planned, I have increased! I tested the Sony and Nikon lenses at the same settings (on a tripod with fast aperture) and the Nikon is certainly good and acceptably sharp, but the Sony is still sharper. It's the sharpest lens I have owned (partly perhaps because it is the only mirrorless lens I have owned).

Previously I had purchased a Nikon 200-500 in hopes of replacing the Sony with it, but I ran the same tests and the results were much more dramatic with the Nikon being much softer than the Sony (when enlarged on computer to actual pixels). Thankfully B&H has a no hassle return policy and I was able to send it back right away for a full refund.

More recently I rented a Nikon Z7ii and 400 f4.5 lens. I did like the Nikon viewfinder which was the clearest of the mirrorless cameras I have tried. Second best was a Sony A7r5 I rented and close third is the Sony A74 I own. Worst by far was Canon R5 which I have been able to use briefly on two different occasions. (I am talking strictly about electronic viewfinder and not other features). However the Nikon is a no go for wildlife because it has a horrendous startup lag from sleep mode (or from off to on). I missed a coyote in my arroyo because the camera was still waking up. For wildlife it is unuseable (unless you keep the shutter pressed halfway constantly to keep it awake full time and carry a stack of batteries in your pocket). My Sony A74 starts up almost instantly and the camera is growing on me.

So my new dilemma is to stick with two systems or go all Sony? I know this is a Sony forum so you will tell me to do the latter, but I am not necessarily asking for advice. I am just thinking out loud and announcing that I have not left the system entirely. Financially I am not sure I can do a full swap, but I confess I do like Sony's lens lineup more than anyone else (not surprising since Sony has 140 full frame autofocus lenses if you include third party whereas Nikon and Canon each have 39 or 40 for mirrorless).

Not sure if I will spend a lot of time back on this forum since I am enjoying Backcountry Gallery so much, but we will see. Here is a recent shot with my Sony setup (1.4x attached plus additional crop) that I happened to have handy on my computer.

coyote S6547 copyright HOOD.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 2000

I had my Sony gear on consignment for over a month and also listed it on the sales thread on BackCountry Gallery with no takers (most users there shoot Nikon). I picked it up from the shop about a month ago with the intention of sending it to KEH and taking what I could get. However I changed my mind and decided to keep it because I realized there are times I will need 600mm (or even 840mm with my Sony 1.4x). So now I still have a two camera system with one more lens (the Nikon 80-400). Instead of consolidating like I planned, I have increased! I tested the Sony and Nikon lenses at the same settings (on a tripod with fast aperture) and the Nikon is certainly good and acceptably sharp, but the Sony is still sharper. It's the sharpest lens I have owned (partly perhaps because it is the only mirrorless lens I have owned).

Previously I had purchased a Nikon 200-500 in hopes of replacing the Sony with it, but I ran the same tests and the results were much more dramatic with the Nikon being much softer than the Sony (when enlarged on computer to actual pixels). Thankfully B&H has a no hassle return policy and I was able to send it back right away for a full refund.

More recently I rented a Nikon Z7ii and 400 f4.5 lens. I did like the Nikon viewfinder which was the clearest of the mirrorless cameras I have tried. Second best was a Sony A7r5 I rented and close third is the Sony A74 I own. Worst by far was Canon R5 which I have been able to use briefly on two different occasions. (I am talking strictly about electronic viewfinder and not other features). However the Nikon is a no go for wildlife because it has a horrendous startup lag from sleep mode (or from off to on). I missed a coyote in my arroyo because the camera was still waking up. For wildlife it is unuseable (unless you keep the shutter pressed halfway constantly to keep it awake full time and carry a stack of batteries in your pocket). My Sony A74 starts up almost instantly and the camera is growing on me.

So my new dilemma is to stick with two systems or go all Sony? I know this is a Sony forum so you will tell me to do the latter, but I am not necessarily asking for advice. I am just thinking out loud and announcing that I have not left the system entirely. Financially I am not sure I can do a full swap, but I confess I do like Sony's lens lineup more than anyone else (not surprising since Sony has 140 full frame autofocus lenses if you include third party whereas Nikon and Canon each have 39 or 40 for mirrorless).

Not sure if I will spend a lot of time back on this forum since I am enjoying Backcountry Gallery so much, but we will see. Here is a recent shot with my Sony setup (1.4x attached plus additional crop) that I happened to have handy on my computer.

View attachment 38312

Glad that you came back to the Sony ecosystem. In the end it's all about finding a camera that covers your needs and a lens you feel comfortable with.

Maybe you could try another of Sony's
telephoto lenses? Something lighter even if you lose some focal length?

Last edited:
I’ve been loving Sony 135 GM lens, even with 2x Clear Image Zoom. It’s a delight to use, at less than half the weight of 200-600, and therefore easy to flick around when trying to track some radical birds.

I'd say sell or trade in the Nikon stuff and use the funds to add another Sony lens or two to your current gear.

I’ve been loving Sony 135 GM lens, even with 2x Clear Image Zoom. It’s a delight to use, at less than half the weight of 200-600, and therefore easy to flick around when trying to track some radical birds.
Hear hear !.....Sony 135GM ........a fantastic lens in all respects.

Best camera system is the one that brings you joy. Happy shooting and you can always stop back whenever you want.

View attachment 38312
Good to hear from you and welcome back, if only partially. Love the photo. Those yellow eyes fit in well with the yellow flowers.

I have been looking at that, though more likely the Samyang/Rokinon model which is currently on sale at B&H and is highly rated in video reviews. Consensus is that Sony GM has SLIGHTLY faster focus tracking, but build quality and sharpness is as good or better on Rokinon. I would either get a 135 f1.8 or a 70-200 f2.8, not both. The latter is more versatile (probably my favorite and most used Nikon lens) and I do love the light weight of Sony's version 2. But there are times having the extra light of f1.8 would be oh so sweet. I was partly inspired by this thread on Backcountry Gallery: https://bcgforums.com/index.php?thr...m-lens-for-environmental-wildlife-shots.9571/

The Sony 135 is my all time favorite lens. The colors and sharpness is stellar.

Well OP - you’ve got some choices to make. Pretty sure if I were a Nikon fan I’d be ordering a Z8. Plenty of MP for cropping and native lens performance if the Z lenses suit you.

Personally I think the FE 200-600 is fine for carrying around and it punches well above its price tag. A reason to stick with Sony for sure and when you consider the 35/50 GM lenses, the plethora of 3rd party lenses and now my new favorite travel lens the 20-70F4 there is a lot more to the Sony camp than any other system at the moment. Best of luck on this first world problem. ;)

If the Z8 was available prior to November last year when I switched from Pentax to Sony, I’d be a Nikon guy now.

I’ve invested in good Sony primes now, so my path is paved. The upside is that competition is good for consumers.

Well OP - you’ve got some choices to make. Pretty sure if I were a Nikon fan I’d be ordering a Z8. ...Best of luck on this first world problem. ;)
Yes indeed. For camera bodies I love the Nikon Z8 but for lens choices I love Sony. Of course I could stick with my D850 setup, it works great, just a bit heavy. I will likely decide today (my day off) whether or not to send all my Nikon F gear into KEH. I am leaning towards Sony because I think the relatively new 20-70 f4G would serve me better for landscape and architecture than any 24-70 (or 24-105 or 24-120). My favorite and most used lens is probably a 70-200 f2.8 and the Nikon Z is only a few ounces lighter than my Nikon F whereas the Sony version ii is a full pound lighter. I often use it with a 1.4x teleconverter (Nikon F iii) and I already own a Sony 1.4x for my 200-600, which I could use if I get the Sony 70-200 ii.

Yes indeed. For camera bodies I love the Nikon Z8 but for lens choices I love Sony. Of course I could stick with my D850 setup, it works great, just a bit heavy. I will likely decide today (my day off) whether or not to send all my Nikon F gear into KEH. I am leaning towards Sony because I think the relatively new 20-70 f4G would serve me better for landscape and architecture than any 24-70 (or 24-105 or 24-120). My favorite and most used lens is probably a 70-200 f2.8 and the Nikon Z is only a few ounces lighter than my Nikon F whereas the Sony version ii is a full pound lighter. I often use it with a 1.4x teleconverter (Nikon F iii) and I already own a Sony 1.4x for my 200-600, which I could use if I get the Sony 70-200 ii.
You can have both. I'm considering the same thing.

https://petapixel.com/2023/05/11/meikes-new-sony-e-to-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-is-wafer-thin/

Reviews show that it functions virtually transparent. Megadap is another one, and there' a third one I know of. B&H sells them.

Fred, for what its worth, I simply love the 70-200 f2.8 II. It's an incredible lens, it is always on my A7iv, I never take it off. It is so light and can focus down really close to the lens. I think a 1.4x or 2.0x TC would work really well for those times you need a bit more extra reach, but I still haven't made up my mind about these yet.

Back