Followers
Following
Name
Peter D Clark
Country
United States
City/State
Phoenix, Arizona
Looking to the experts here as I’m still perplexed by this.
I‘m fortunate now to own the 16-35GM and the 24-70GM and am looking into which telephoto I’ll pickup (70-200GM or 100-400GM) to round out the lens kit.
What I’m struggling to understand is how to buy Filters (VND and Polarize) that have a screw type system that works for all lens diameters so’ to be able to buy one kit for all lenses vs multiples specific to each lens.

What might I be looking at and what might you fine people recommend.
TIA,

Cheers ~ Peter

I'm certainly no expert. I don't own a filter system and have never used one. But I researched them quite a bit over lockdown.

These are the main ones I was looking at https://www.formatt-hitech.com/ and just to understand all the different bits have a look at some of their signature series https://www.formatt-hitech.com/signature-artist-kits.

Also, as ever, I've found some useful reviews of these and others on youtube even if it's just how they fit together and what they are like to use in the field etc.

Good luck and let me know what you decide. I also have the 16-35GM and 100-400GM (which is why I can't quite afford a filter kit yet!).

Another option is one large-enough filter and step-down rings for the smaller lenses.
I would be concerned about the mounting accuracy of this though and about filter quality.

The popular choice among most photographers is purchase the biggest filters you will use, like 82mm for your 16-35mm or 24-70mm the use a step down ring to 77mm to use it on a 70-200mm
Filters are expensive, a set of adapter rings can be had for a fraction of the price of one filter
This seemed to be the consensus I got while shopping.
I did end up purchasing a plate system myself rather than buying thread on filters.
Worth noting however that while this type of system allows the greatest variability in the field while tripod mounted, it is not very practicle in situations where your moving about.
I agonized for months on purchasing filters, even now I will probably still end up buying a couple screw on filters for mobile use.
And always buy the best quality filters you can afford.

Back