The new Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
I won’t be pre-ordering this lens because I prefer longer focal lengths, and already have the 24 GM for the few times I want wide.

That said, this looks like an impressive improvement over the first version, being lighter, smaller, sharper, less breathing, quad motors for faster and quieter, basically a lot like the new 70-200, except this is not internal zoom (realistically, that was not going to happen, because internal zoom was going to require it be at “full length” all the time). All up, I believe they got it right.

Are you:
  • Preordering?
  • waiting for reviews from non-Sony ambassadors?
  • treating this as a vindication of your choice to go with another lens? ;)
  • not interested?
One of the comments I have seen is that this is a boring focal range, and I cannot legitimately say that I disagree, given I am not buying it, but this is a lens used heavily by professional photographers who photograph people. One of the reasons that major camera brands have a 24-70 and a 70-200, both f/2.8, is the demand from professional photographer. That’s also one of the reasons those two were among the first GM lenses.

24-70 is too narrow a range for my liking, it would never be on my radar for that reason. The 24-105 is a better choice for me. I wouldn't mind an updated version of that.

During the heyday of A-Mount several manufacturers had 24-135. None were very well thought of, but I'll bet they could come up with a world-class one if they tried!

Honest question: Why does a modern mirrorless lens have a manual aperture ring?

Why should a modern mirrorless lens NOT have an adjust by wire aperture ring? :)

I do like having the choice of using an aperture ring or control dial. I definitely use the aperture ring over the control dial. Frees up the right hand from one operation that the left hand can do.

Why should a modern mirrorless lens NOT have an adjust by wire aperture ring? :)

I do like having the choice of using an aperture ring or control dial. I definitely use the aperture ring over the control dial. Frees up the right hand from one operation that the left hand can do.
Interesting option. I wonder if this will become more commonplace in future autofocus lenses? I wonder not only about Sony, but if other brands will follow suit?

Fujifilm has been doing it since the time they started the X series line ten years ago. And Sigma is doing it to some of their lenses for the L-mount. The aperture ring is really just a control ring - it is not mechanically coupled. I think Canon and/or Nikon will allow you to program the focus ring to be an aperture ring. And some of the newer Tamron lenses will allow you do the same.

Perhaps to support video - where you can adjust the aperture to expand the depth of field clicklessly, starting from a blur to bring the subject into focus?

Interesting option. I wonder if this will become more commonplace in future autofocus lenses? I wonder not only about Sony, but if other brands will follow suit?
I believe Sigma is already.
Example:

Some M-4/3 lenses like the Panasonic-Leica 15/1.7 have the ring. In that case it is assignable for other uses too, but I can't recall the options. In order to use it with a dial you click the aperture ring to 'A'. Once the ring is moved to an aperture number, the dial doesn't work.

I used a friend's Fuji XT3 this weekend and his lens had the aperture ring. It felt... right. I mean it felt very much a part of that system because Fuji has so many "analog" dials.
In contrast, my a6400 with the same focal length lens had no aperture ring and the camera has a more spartan top deck, so I don't miss the feel of the aperture ring. For me, Aperture controls are at my right thumb dial anyway.

I used a friend's Fuji XT3 this weekend and his lens had the aperture ring. It felt... right. I mean it felt very much a part of that system because Fuji has so many "analog" dials.
In contrast, my a6400 with the same focal length lens had no aperture ring and the camera has a more spartan top deck, so I don't miss the feel of the aperture ring. For me, Aperture controls are at my right thumb dial anyway.
I think lenses for any camera body that is missing a front control dial should have a ring.

Speaking to Sony only, all of the new G Master lenses have this feature, as well of some others such as the Focus Hold buttons which are user programmable. Regarding the Aperture Ring, I much prefer using this ring as opposed to the small knobs on top of the camera. Some newer, non G Master lenses, are also equipped with these features. I have spoiled myself by owning four G Masters out of a total of nine lenses. My opinion is that these lenses are very well made and incredibly sharp lenses, and I feel lucky to own them.

Last edited:
I just looked at the lens on the BH link (which says estimated ship date June 24). It has a switch on the side of the lens for tight or smooth. I assume this controls the stiffness of the zoom ring. Other lens brands that have this feature use a rotating ring so you can fine tune the stiffness exactly to your liking. It is interesting Sony has a simple two position switch. Do other Sony lenses have this? If so, how tight is the tight setting?

The 100-400 GM has a control ring for adjusting the level of stiffness which I think makes more sense. Guess there was not enough room on the 24-70 for it except as a switch.

Speaking to Sony only, all of the new G Master lenses have this feature, as well of some others such as the Focus Hold buttons which are user programmable. Regarding the Aperture Ring, I much prefer using this ring as opposed to the small knobs on top of the camera. Some newer, non G Master lenses, are also equipped with these features. I have spoiled myself by owning four G Masters out of a total of nine lenses. My opinion is that these lenses are very well made and incredibly sharp lenses, and I feel lucky to own them.

Now you have me feeling guilty for being self-indulgent ;). I think I'm up to, um, six GM lenses now. Still, if my next one is the rumoured 85mm f/1.2 GM, at least I can sell my current 85 GM. If the next is the long-awaited 200 GM or even 300 GM, then oops...

One thing that the aperture ring gives you is smooth aperture control. Using the dial on the camera means clicking by one third of a stop each time - with the aperture ring on click-less, you can get an aperture in-between those settings.

Now you have me feeling guilty for being self-indulgent ;). I think I'm up to, um, six GM lenses now. Still, if my next one is the rumoured 85mm f/1.2 GM, at least I can sell my current 85 GM. If the next is the long-awaited 200 GM or even 300 GM, then oops...

One thing that the aperture ring gives you is smooth aperture control. Using the dial on the camera means clicking by one third of a stop each time - with the aperture ring on click-less, you can get an aperture in-between those settings.
You know, my wife was pretty happy when I stopped buying one Firearm after another. That has now been replaced by Lenses. I knew I was in trouble when I had purchased 2 G Masters in less than two weeks time. That was serious GAS!

You know, my wife was pretty happy when I stopped buying one Firearm after another. That has now been replaced by Lenses. I knew I was in trouble when I had purchased 2 G Masters in less than two weeks time. That was serious GAS!

So you are still shooting, just more quietly...

I stopped because both of my gun safes are full!

I just looked at the lens on the BH link (which says estimated ship date June 24). It has a switch on the side of the lens for tight or smooth. I assume this controls the stiffness of the zoom ring. Other lens brands that have this feature use a rotating ring so you can fine tune the stiffness exactly to your liking. It is interesting Sony has a simple two position switch. Do other Sony lenses have this? If so, how tight is the tight setting?
In my book the zoom stiffness setting is very welcome, and it is quite stiff after playing with my copy,.....the light setting is very light and like many of the Sony and others lenses before this development, were also light and subject to accidental movement when shooting.......

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back