The Peak Design Slide + Lens coverings

NightBreed

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ian
I am just wondering who uses the The Peak Design Slide camera strap and is it as good as the reviews say. As we are not allowed to go to a camera shop in the UK I can't go and look at one so feedback would be good. Hopefully it will be for an A1 plus usual selection of lenses inc 200-600mm.

Also what if any lens coverings do people use?

i've got two pd slides and i love them. i've got attachments on both cameras and my heavier lenses so i can switch back and forth. i prefer to wear it cross body.

I have the slide camera strap, its good, but the best part of any peak design strap is how easy they unclip haha. I have an a6400 so its light enough for me to carry one-handed rather than on the strap around my neck. I may try the peak design cuff next time.

I have one and a Black Rapid Sport. I much prefer the Black Rapid to be honest, but I do like the Peak Design clips. The slide is really well made, but I find that it moves off of the shoulder too easily.
As for coverings. I have Alphaguard skins on my 200 600 and RIV. I like them, though they aren't as protective as neoprene of course. If neoprene covers are your thing I can highly recommend the ones for Outdoor Photography Supplies, I'm fond of the black ones, which I have on all of my Nikon lenses.

I have a Peak Design Slide Lite and the Leash. I've been using them on my a6100. Love them.

I have one and a Black Rapid Sport. I much prefer the Black Rapid to be honest, but I do like the Peak Design clips. The slide is really well made, but I find that it moves off of the shoulder too easily.
As for coverings. I have Alphaguard skins on my 200 600 and RIV. I like them, though they aren't as protective as neoprene of course. If neoprene covers are your thing I can highly recommend the ones for Outdoor Photography Supplies, I'm fond of the black ones, which I have on all of my Nikon lenses.
Thanks Kevriano, I will look at the Alphaguard skins as I am not a fan of the neoprene ones I find them to bulky for my liking even though they protect the lenses better. I have read/seen the Black rapid Sport but think I will try the Peak Design strap first as I like the clip idea being so simple to attach to the 200-600mm as well as the camera body for other lenses.

That does look interesting. I've seen a wedding photographer with a harnas which fits two. That said, I did get the feeling these make the camera swivel a bit more, whereas with the Peak Design I can make my one camera hang more stable with the lens down on my back. Since I'm wearing it across I didn't have any issues with it moving off my shoulder.

I am just wondering who uses the The Peak Design Slide camera strap and is it as good as the reviews say. As we are not allowed to go to a camera shop in the UK I can't go and look at one so feedback would be good. Hopefully it will be for an A1 plus usual selection of lenses inc 200-600mm.

Also what if any lens coverings do people use?
Just for the record, I too use the PD Slide Light. It's a well thought out product and well made. Peak Design makes great products.

I've now got a peak design slide here just waiting to be fitted to the camera or the lens attached to a camera!

I love the PD ecosystem. I’ve got a Slide, 2 Slide Lites, Leash and Cuff. Sold the Clutch. Didn’t like it. Slides are perfect for the 200-600 with the anchors mounted to the two points on the lens.

I love the PD ecosystem. I’ve got a Slide, 2 Slide Lites, Leash and Cuff. Sold the Clutch. Didn’t like it. Slides are perfect for the 200-600 with the anchors mounted to the two points on the lens.
I found those 2 points on the 200-600 lens to be too sharp edged and feared they will end up cutting trough the PD anchor cords, so I am using my slide attached directly to the lens shoe as displayed.
Because I remove the 200-600 shoe anyway when I put the lens back in my backpack I also avoid to have to detach 2 things, the PD slide first and the shoe last. I just detach the shoe while keeping the PD slide over my neck. Sometimes I don't even put the PD slide in the back-pack because it is still in a closed loop configuration like this, just keep it over my neck until next usage point. Also helps not to leave the lens shoe behind (or the PD strap itself) ...
PD on 200-600-A1_05556-4K.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 50mm F1.2 GM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1.3 sec
  • ISO 100

Back at home, a nail in the wall is the resting place for the strap/shoe combo, next to the humidity control cabinet were all the gear spends most of their lives, at shoulder height (one less back bending to pick it up from some table/chair/floor)
PD on 200-600-A1_15557-Web.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 50mm F1.2 GM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.2
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 100

When using smaller lenses (135GM included) I prefer the PD cuff and 2 PD plates, one mounted on the belt, another in the backpack shoulder strap.

Last edited:
..... look at one so feedback would be good.....
I happened across the Black Rapid (that Kev mentioned/liked), that were $10 a piece. So, I bought three, got out the sewing machine and did some major surgery. I rigged them for use over-shoulder or cross-body. And added some clips and loops for attaching stuff, and to lengthen straps. The quick-release clips can attach a second camera on other hip. I happen to like these BlkRap slings, though they aren't nearly as fancy as the Peak Design, but just as strong and good enough for me. The reason I love the BlackRapid is that sticky silicone shoulder pad; does not tend to slide off shoulder.

As for coverings. I have Alphaguard skins on my 200 600 and RIV. ...... recommend the ones for Outdoor Photography Supplies, I'm fond of the black ones, which I have on all of my Nikon lenses.
Do you know if either is made of a non-skid silicone composition like the BlkRap shoulder pad?

Pic of handy work, in case someone else feels ambitious.
Black Rapid Straps-2.jpg
  • SM-T800
  • 3.4 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/430 sec
  • ISO 40

I happened across the Black Rapid (that Kev mentioned/liked), that were $10 a piece. So, I bought three, got out the sewing machine and did some major surgery. I rigged them for use over-shoulder or cross-body. And added some clips and loops for attaching stuff, and to lengthen straps. The quick-release clips can attach a second camera on other hip. I happen to like these BlkRap slings, though they aren't nearly as fancy as the Peak Design, but just as strong and good enough for me. The reason I love the BlackRapid is that sticky silicone shoulder pad; does not tend to slide off shoulder.

Do you know if either is made of a non-skid silicone composition like the BlkRap shoulder pad?

Pic of handy work, in case someone else feels ambitious.
View attachment 9269
Nice job. As for the question about the skins. The OPS silicon skins are non slip, yes, the Alphaguard stick to the lens as it's just a thin sticky skin.

Back