Thinking about divesting yourself of A-Mount?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Better do it now. I took a boxful of stuff to my local camera store to trade toward store credit and they refused all of my A-Mount gear. They said it just sets and never moves. I had a couple of Tamron lenses and two Sony Bodies, along with a Maxxum 7000. KEH offered squat for it all. MPB made the best offer, enough so I don't feel like I'm getting skinned, so it's all going to them.

One example: Tamron 200-500, EC, case, caps, hood, KEH: $69; MPB $205.

This does not include any of my old Maxxum glass which still has a good use, nor am I suggesting anyone dump their nice A-mount stuff if they plan to use it, but if you're considering getting rid of some unused gear, I wouldn't wait too much longer.

I just bought a converter to use the 50mm 1.4 lens from the Maxxum on my a6400. The rest of the maxxum gear is sitting forgotten in a closet. Maybe one day I will get it serviced and try my hand at film photography, but I have no illusions about making any serious $ from selling it.

I just bought a converter to use the 50mm 1.4 lens from the Maxxum on my a6400. The rest of the maxxum gear is sitting forgotten in a closet. Maybe one day I will get it serviced and try my hand at film photography, but I have no illusions about making any serious $ from selling it.
Yeah, I still have my old Maxxum Glass. It's good stuff and the value is fairly low on most of it. In fact they have a 50mm macro I may go get. The stuff I'm getting rid of I no longer have a use for.

Even DSLRs are worth little now, because the market is flooded with them where people are going mirrorless. I can see why A mount are a hard sell though. It's a shame Sony changed it.

Even DSLRs are worth little now, because the market is flooded with them where people are going mirrorless. I can see why A mount are a hard sell though. It's a shame Sony changed it.
The bright side is one day soon we may be able to pickup some of those lenses like @spudhead uses on the cheap!

I just dropped the two Tammy lenses off at FedEx, the bodies will ship tomorrow (two different quotes). I am within striking distance of a Sigma 100-400 with almost $0.00 OOP!

The bright side is one day soon we may be able to pickup some of those lenses like @spudhead uses on the cheap!

I just dropped the two Tammy lenses off at FedEx, the bodies will ship tomorrow (two different quotes). I am within striking distance of a Sigma 100-400 with almost $0.00 OOP!
Yep, they are cheap now, by modern standards, but yes, they may well come down a bit more.

Yep, they are cheap now, by modern standards, but yes, they may well come down a bit more.
Keep your eyes open for a 300 2.8 either sony or minolta with ssm drive its a great cross over to e-mount and works well on the lea-5 adaptor, although the adaptor does not allow teleconverter but the lens allows huge crops and with the 61meg you have it should be good Gary

Keep your eyes open for a 300 2.8 either sony or minolta with ssm drive its a great cross over to e-mount and works well on the lea-5 adaptor, although the adaptor does not allow teleconverter but the lens allows huge crops and with the 61meg you have it should be good Gary
Which one do you have? Minolta made 3 and Sony made 2. They all score pretty high over at Dyxum, would like to know if one stands out?

Which one do you have? Minolta made 3 and Sony made 2. They all score pretty high over at Dyxum, would like to know if one stands out?
I have the sony 300 mk1, the 300 mk2 so I am told has a non removeable clear filter over the end element and lots of people prefer the mk1, but mine came up at the right time and price so grabbed it. Now when I get time I will dig out my minolta 300 2.8 apo and give it some time on the camera. I fell out with the minolta after sending for service and cleaning and it took an age and a load of calls to get it back, when it returned out of the blue the so called and expert who was recommended to me, had messed up a screw by tyring to remove it with a micro drill, it has no effect on operation of lens but really upsetting having not been told about it. Response from service pepole no charge for work or shipping:mad:

Well that certainly sucks, but thanks for the lens info.

Until the A->FE adapter drops in price those lovely Maxxi/Dyxi will have to wait. I'm finding decent hunting for my PK->E quarry though, just paid $40+ for an old Sigma 70-300 Apo with aperture ring.

Until the A->FE adapter drops in price those lovely Maxxi/Dyxi will have to wait. I'm finding decent hunting for my PK->E quarry though, just paid $40+ for an old Sigma 70-300 Apo with aperture ring.
For a couple hundred bucks, you're missing out, trust me.

True - had I not divested during my Pentax time, the adapter would win me over. Loved the metal jacket 35-105 and 100-200, though the 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 was a bit more versatile. Since my manual Pentax lenses are still in hand, that's my path for now.

Edit.. Oops! Picked up an EA3 cheaply.
Looks like Minolta's back on the menu, boys!

Last edited:
Back