Traveling with a Sony a6000

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

MoniBinis

Newcomer
Original poster
Followers
Following
Jul 21, 2021
I will be traveling out of the country soon and am not familiar with the rules of flying with a camera. Are these cameras typically allowed on board or do they have to be checked in? Will the security x-ray machine damage the camera?

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
I have traveled abroad (US to Yurp) a couple of times with the old A7M II. I was assured that the gear they had to assure themselves I had no bombs would not harm the camera or SD cards. They were right. The camera bag came on board with me as carry-on luggage. Also my laptop. A guy has to keep track of his toys. oops, tools.

Last edited:

J.Duffy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
I had no problems, when I flew to Japan in 2019. I had my camera and tablet. When I was flying out of Japan they did make me remove it from my carry on bag.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I fly everywhere with my camera since 2019, (Japan, USA, Jamaica) absolutely no issues. Always in a camera bag or carry-on bag, never in checked luggage. The x-ray doesn't seem to harm digital cameras.

What does your travel kit look like?
I usually travel with the A6400, 10-18, 18-135, 2 spare batteries, a small mic and a mini tripod in a 6liter bag.
I found that using a backpack was sometimes less than ideal: camera backpacks are so specific that they are not good at carrying anything other than camera and accessories, while normal backpacks don't have the padding for your camera (unless you wrap it in clothes).

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.