Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Greetings,
I've been filming my YouTube videos with this tripod thus far:
It is compact and light, but at full extension it is a bit wobbly.

Can anyone recommend a tripod for filming that will not break the bank? I film inside a kitchen, so nothing too massive. The tripod would need to support an A6400, lens, and a mini wireless mic receiver... maybe a mini slider as well in the future. Thoughts/discussion welcome.

I am new to this one but I like it a lot, although I don't have that much time on it yet:
ESDDI Camera Tripod

I am new to this one but I like it a lot, although I don't have that much time on it yet:
ESDDI Camera Tripod
That ball head is already an upgrade from the tripod I use. Also, I like the idea of the mono-pod option, I could see use for that if I were doing portrait photography. Very interesting.

That ball head is already an upgrade from the tripod I use. Also, I like the idea of the mono-pod option, I could see use for that if I were doing portrait photography. Very interesting.
If it's videos you're after, I'd advise against ball heads. Once you unlock the ball, you're essentially unlocking two axes at once, meaning performing just one movement, be it only panning or only tilting, while recording, will be a pain in the bottom.

If it's videos you're after, I'd advise against ball heads. Once you unlock the ball, you're essentially unlocking two axes at once, meaning performing just one movement, be it only panning or only tilting, while recording, will be a pain in the bottom.
That is a very good point.
When filming in my kitchen I usually cycle through 3 views with the camera:
  • Level line of sight with camera for Intro and Outro
  • Angled shot for prep work
  • Angled shot for stove work
I don't have space or budget for multiple tripods, so I usually make note of which tiles I put the tripod on for consistency when I move the tripod around. So I guess I need a tripod which is sturdy, but not too heavy to move around, and as you said, maybe Ishould be looking at a video head and not a ball head design.

That is a very good point.
When filming in my kitchen I usually cycle through 3 views with the camera:
  • Level line of sight with camera for Intro and Outro
  • Angled shot for prep work
  • Angled shot for stove work
I don't have space or budget for multiple tripods, so I usually make note of which tiles I put the tripod on for consistency when I move the tripod around. So I guess I need a tripod which is sturdy, but not too heavy to move around, and as you said, maybe Ishould be looking at a video head and not a ball head design.
Absolutely! For consistency/precision, go with a video head with labeled angles.

Looks pretty good! I've no idea about that brand though... fluid head will be great, design wise it seems to mirror Manfrotto's stuff, looks really sturdy, maybe a little big/heavy, but that shouldn't be an issue for your intended work. The A6400 will look lilliputian on it :ROFLMAO:.

If you want to keep the frame as consistent as possible between different takes though, finding a head w/marked angles will be of great help. Let me show you mine:

20210121_115954.jpg

Hi Chris,
I agree w Ivan, ball heads are a pain for videos. The other thing that concerns me w the examples above is the locking spider arms at base of legs. If that spider is not moveable up and down the vertical post, then in a kitchen there could be a problem if in a tight space. In other words, if the legs can't be moved in and out in various diameters on floor, then in tight quarters, there could be a problem.

Let me search Amazon for a Manfrotto similar to mine and I'll get back to you. One question first --- is tripod for fixed position vids (like in kitchen), or might you want to pan and track when following moving action subjects? This is a key factor in choosing a tripod..

I can't find the Manfrotto I was looking for. Sadly, the Manfrotto prices have skyrocketed since I bought them years ago. Although I can't necessarily recommend any of these, here's what I found instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Ad...ra+tripod&qid=1611446394&s=electronics&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/GEEKOTO-Alum...a87b5&pd_rd_wg=KOfRE&pd_rd_i=B07WN2VNJP&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCPJ5Q...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...3751c&pd_rd_wg=Y6zaK&pd_rd_i=B07DCPLBXR&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MK...ideo+Head&qid=1611449016&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Last edited:
I like the compact advanced! For Chris' use though, I'd still advise to have angle markings in the head. In my case though, I've considered it as the successor to my current Vanguard... although it's still going strong so it may not happen anytime soon (and even then, I'm guessing I'll be more inclined towards arca-type plates).

Hi Chris,
I agree w Ivan, ball heads are a pain for videos. The other thing that concerns me w the examples above is the locking spider arms at base of legs. If that spider is not moveable up and down the vertical post, then in a kitchen there could be a problem if in a tight space. In other words, if the legs can't be moved in and out in various diameters on floor, then in tight quarters, there could be a problem.

Let me search Amazon for a Manfrotto similar to mine and I'll get back to you. One question first --- is tripod for fixed position vids (like in kitchen), or might you want to pan and track when following moving action subjects? This is a key factor in choosing a tripod..
Both good points Mike.
As for the panning and tracking, well, since I am a solo-creator, I don't think I will be panning and tracking (with myself in frame) any time soon. For B-roll, which I do not do a lot of (despite its prevalence on YouTube), I have a gimbal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi Chris,
I can't find the Manfrotto I was looking for. Sadly, the Manfrotto prices have skyrocketed since I bought them years ago. Although I can't necessarily recommend any of these, here's what I found instead:

https://www.amazon.com/GEEKOTO-Alum...a87b5&pd_rd_wg=KOfRE&pd_rd_i=B07WN2VNJP&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCPJ5Q...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Mike, these 2 match my price-point and my assumptions based on what you and Ivan have shared.
Cheers!

I'm definitely not a professional but i can help explain. the ball mount is on top of that orange cylinder head. the black ball mount that is attached to the camera locks into that orange cylinder and does not move when panning. You can then unlock the orange cylinder which allows it to pan without affecting the level of the camera since the camera ball mount is locked separately. In my opinion the panning is by far smooth enough for my purposes which is You Tube recordings. I'm sure fluid heads are much better but not something I could justify the cost for.

Hi Scott, nice demo vid you made! Since I don't always keep up on the "latest&greatest, I thought maybe they revised the new ball head tripods, so that was the reason I asked.

The problem for me is, when tracking a bird taking flight, the cam must both pan & tilt together while bird ascends skywards. And I can never smoothly follow BIF with ball unlocked, especially with long heavy lenses.

Ball-head panning is easy, but adding tilt to mix, not so easy. With all this new technology, I thought maybe they invented a B-H that replicates the fluid head. But great you are skilled/experienced in doing it w B-H. Do you give lessons? .... joking.:)

Back