Updated Sony a7R IV A is Now Available to Order - For $500 Extra!

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
You can now pre-order the Sony a7R IV A version from Focus Camera (affiliate link) in the US, it should also be available at other retailers shortly.

However, it will cost you an extra $500 over the price of the Sony a7R IV (none A version) which has been discounted from $3,498.00 to $2,998.00 for quite some time already.

So what does the extra $500 get you?
  1. LCD resolution has changed from 1.44 million dots to 2,359,296 dots
  2. USB 3.2.
  3. The Sony logo under LCD monitor has been removed
  4. Very small reduction in battery life when using the LCD. 660 instead of 670 (CIPA standard)
I expect the older model will most likely go out of stock at some point and then you'll have no choice but to purchase the updated model. But knowing Sony it won't be very long before this is discounted as well, especially if we see the a7R V in the next 12 months.

Although I use the LCD occasionally I use the EVF a lot more, and I don't really make much use of the USB connection. So if I was buying new today I'd probably pick up the older model and save myself $500 at current prices.

Do you think it's worth the extra $500?

Last edited:

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I used to think I wanted the A7RIV, but the more I've used my a6400, the more I realize I am not the target audience for that camera. The A7RIV is an amazing camera though and I think the incremental upgrade is good, but pity it costs $500 more. IMO they should have put the "A-spec" model out at the "regular" model's MSRP and then just discounted the regular one. This cuts into their profits, but would help in sales volumes. If I ever had a chance to peak under the hood of the machine that is Sony electronics, I'd be curious to see what percentage of their camera sales are attributed to the different models, that would be interesting!

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
yep its coming A7R IV pretty sure the high mp race is still in the eye of camera companies ,canon want to make something better/bigger than sony a7r4 and sony will not keep still if canon apply pressure ,and it sells cameras high specs mega pixels or fast frame rate it makes for new releases if we need it is another point ,I expect 80-100mp in next addition ,m43 will reach this pixel density with gh6 and we know that is a sony sensor ,apsc will reach over 30mp in next generation cameras .to be honest it is more the video race that is keeping high mp sensors with 8k and 6k more apparent .
The £500 increase for well just a lcd bump resolution is just folly ,i would rather save £500 and put it towards a new lens or something but sony lcd have a poor reputation why the a1 did not see this addition is beyond me.

Reactions: Timothy Mayo

AlphaWorld

Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I used to think I wanted the A7RIV, but the more I've used my a6400, the more I realize I am not the target audience for that camera. The A7RIV is an amazing camera though and I think the incremental upgrade is good, but pity it costs $500 more. IMO they should have put the "A-spec" model out at the "regular" model's MSRP and then just discounted the regular one. This cuts into their profits, but would help in sales volumes. If I ever had a chance to peak under the hood of the machine that is Sony electronics, I'd be curious to see what percentage of their camera sales are attributed to the different models, that would be interesting!

If you read what Tim said, the A7RIV is indeed being sold for the MSRP, and the old one is being discounted by $500.

I’m not sure that Sony is chasing sales volumes on the A7RIVa at the moment. They may well be keeping the supply going until they surprise us with the A7RV and its scary spec (whatever that may be).

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
If you read what Tim said, the A7RIV is indeed being sold for the MSRP, and the old one is being discounted by $500.

I’m not sure that Sony is chasing sales volumes on the A7RIVa at the moment. They may well be keeping the supply going until they surprise us with the A7RV and its scary spec (whatever that may be).
ahh, good catch Tony, my bad!

Lake Travis Doug

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jun 21, 2021
Name
Doug
Country
United States
City/State
Austin, Texas
You can now pre-order the Sony a7R IV A version from Focus Camera (affiliate link) in the US, it should also be available at other retailers shortly.

However, it will cost you an extra $500 over the price of the Sony a7R IV (none A version) which has been discounted from $3,498.00 to $2,998.00 for quite some time already.

So what does the extra $500 get you?
  1. LCD resolution has changed from 1.44 million dots to 2,359,296 dots
  2. USB 3.2.
  3. The Sony logo under LCD monitor has been removed
  4. Very small reduction in battery life when using the LCD. 660 instead of 670 (CIPA standard)
I expect the older model will most likely go out of stock at some point and then you'll have no choice but to purchase the updated model. But knowing Sony it won't be very long before this is discounted as well, especially if we see the a7R V in the next 12 months.

Although I use the LCD occasionally I use the EVF a lot more, and I don't really make much use of the USB connection. So if I was buying new today I'd probably pick up the older model and save myself $500 at current prices.

Do you think it's worth the extra $500?
I was holding off on the a7r IV and glad I was... ordered the a7r IVA last Friday

Reynolds

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Jun 16, 2021
Name
Reynolds Young
Received one from the Sony Store yesterday....wonderful machine. First Sony in a long time.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.