Followers
Following
Name
Shon Ong
Country
Singapore
City/State
Singapore
Would like a bigger bag to have the camera on with the 600gm and considering the vanguard alta sky 68. Anyone uses it? Please share some experience of using it. thanks!

The-Vanguard-Alta-Sky-68-backpack-in-use.jpg

I have an Alta something or other Daypack than can be used for drones or whatever. I wanted it for photography.

It is HEAVY and STIFF. Straps hang all over the place, it is not as user friendly as I had hoped. After trying for days to get it set up to some configuration that was workable for me, I gave up and purchased a Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L. the Alta has been setting unused since I got it.

The PD was almost twice as much money, but it was well worth it. I don't use the waist or sternum straps, and they can be removed. The shoulder straps are held magnetically to the bag to keep them out of the way when you carry it by the handle.

Here's a post I made a while ago when someone was asking about which bag for the 200-600 lens:

I spent some time searching for the answer to that exact question. Backpacks work well. I purchased a Peak Design 30L and can carry the 200-600 along with the 24-105 mounted to a body. There's room for more if needed. The 200-600 fits vertically along one side, while the 24-105 and body set horizontally at the bottom. There's room for a few more lenses but I don't usually need anything else for that setup.

The PD Everyday backpack is well designed. The amount of crap I can get in it is astounding. For my 'normal' trips to the track, I can get the A7-IV with Sigma 100-400 mounted, A7R-III with 24-105 mounted, Tamron 17-28/2.8, Minolta Maxxum 80-200/2.8 APO G with the LA-EA5 mounted, batteries, straps, notebooks and pens, business cards, a small radio with headphones, Several forms of ear protection, an umbrella, a poncho, a water bottle, lens cleaning supplies, and a folding chair. Not kidding.

I've been thinking about taking it all out and getting a photo, but then I'd have to put it all back in! :eek:

Here's a link to their page. Check out the videos, there's one quite extensive that shows all of the features. It's a decent size, and I think it's about a pound lighter than the Alta I have.

Last edited:
Just as a point of interest, I didn't use chest straps for years on rucksacks, then I discovered they stop the main straps sliding off the shoulders all the time.

Just as a point of interest, I didn't use chest straps for years on rucksacks, then I discovered they stop the main straps sliding off the shoulders all the time.
Yeah, if I were to go walking or hiking I'd use it, but my immediate use is a <1/4 mile walk from the truck to the track. One I get there I set it down next to the wall and grab one of the handles if I want to move. I started out using it and there's no doubt I have to stabilize the shoulder straps with my hands for that short walk, but it's easier in this case than attaching/detaching the sternum strap.

I understood the value of those straps from a lifetime of motocross and mountain biking. ✅

I do love Vanguard though. I have their shoulder bag which has the tripod compartment. My 200-600mm lens fits in that compartment perfectly.

Check out the packs from GuraGear. The 30L is designed for a professional telephoto kit.
I had never heard of them until recently but wish I had known of them sooner. They look like great bags, and the 30L model I linked to is lighter (~400g) than my peak design 30L.

Full disclosure: I haven't had my hands on one yet and the model I ordered won't be here until mid to late October as it's a new release.

Thanks Brownie for the suggestion, but I really don't like PD products. I was once a big fan and bought their straps and backpack and use them for quite a while. I know a lot of people love their stuffs though. Besides, I don't think they have bags for a camera body mounted lens compartment unlike the lens bags.

Thanks for suggesting Gura Gear, I was a big fan of them (haha quite the opposite of PD). I have the Kiboko both versions, but I sold the first 1 that can fit the 600gm with hood. However both versions cannot take a camera body as its too short.

Back