water damage A6000

tom31415926

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tom Matthews
I recently took my Sony A6000 and Sigma 18-50mm lens on a backpacking trip in Utah. I think I got some great pictures (for my skill level) which survived on the memory card. Unfortunately, a fellow hiker injured his knee and we were not sure if he could finish the hike. In the confusion, I forgot to put my camera back in its ziplock bag and then I briefly got my pack wet while fording a stream. The important thing is that my friend was able to hike out, is not in too much pain, and will see a doctor soon.

My camera, however, got wet. I did not have a chance to do anything with it at the time, but later I took out the battery and the memory card, took off the lens, and let it dry. I want to look into repair at first. The camera is dry now, but I haven't tried it. I recognize that replacement may be the only option that guarantees like-new performance.

I called a local camera shop and they said that A6000 water damage very often means that the camera will not be economically repairable and implied that it may never be the same. The local shop did say I could bring it in for a free diagnosis, and I get the feeling that they will be brutally honest which is what I want. The lens looks crystal clear to my eye, but I'd like to know if it has been compromised.

Has anyone been down this road before, and have advice to offer? I see online shops that offer repair, but my inclination is to just go the the local shop to see what I can learn. It seems like I have answered my own question, but I thought perhaps the group here might have some wisdom to share.

Tom

Tom

Start with a body cap and a bowl of rice for the camera for a few days, same as any electronic device. Check for recommended drying period on line.

Set the lens out in direct sunlight for a few days, no caps. If there is any water in there it will dry it out, plus kill anything that's growing. This is a proven method to kill fungus.

Once done turn it all on and see if it works.

Good luck!

If it was freshwater, there is a slim chance your gear might survive. But the lens is probably more likely to be salvageable than the camera body. Tim's advice above is good, but if it doesn't power on then send it to the camera shop as you had planned.

If it DOES power on, take a picture of a blank piece of paper so you can see if there's any damage to the sensor or fault with the lens.

All the above and I would not send the camera out to anywhere as that will just be an extra cost for a camera that isn't going to be worth the repair cost. A quick check at KEH shows that an excellent condition a6000 with a battery is going for about 390 (and you can generally get another 5% on first purchase with any of the used sellers). So just keep that in mind.

Glad the friend isn't too hurt, it really sucks getting injured back on hikes. Sucks about the camera.

Might be time to upgrade that camera body... but to be honest, if you're only doing still photography and not video, the best bang for buck is still to find another used a6000. The a6100/6400/6600 have the same sensor, so all you gain is better autofocus (which is pretty good) and IBIS if you shell out for the a6600. Video performance you gain 4K recording, but again, I believe you're more interested in stills right?

Mental note. Get travel insurance.

thanks for the helpful advice.

If the camera does power up, I'll do that. I'll look at a picture of a white paper. I have also used the technique of taking a time exposure of a fairly uniform bright surface while moving the camera. The stationary dots must therefore be due to the sensor.
Yes, I am more interested in stills than video. Good to know about the relative improvements in upgrading.

$390 sounds good for a replacement. We'll see what happens.

Hadn't thought about travel insurance. I know an accomplished amateur photographer who just rented gear and insured it when he traveled.

Tom

I recon there's a few secondhand A6000 series about. I picked up a cheap one a while back then traded it for a A6400.

I have also used the technique of taking a time exposure of a fairly uniform bright surface while moving the camera. The stationary dots must therefore be due to the sensor.
Hadn't seen that technique, but that's should do the trick!

update

Dried with lots of silica gel desiccant packs in a bag. Dried lens in sunlight as suggested. Camera works, it is fully functional.
I tried the test described above (a time exposure while moving the camera on an out-of-focus uniform background) and the sensor is dirty. I have a sensor cleaning kit which I've never used. I could try the sensor cleaning kit, and would do the following: watch youtube tutorials on how to use the kit, clean it as best I can with air, then use the cleaning kit and re-test.

But I would still like to know if the camera and lens are performing like new, and I don't know how to determine that myself. Is that the sort of question the local camera shop could answer (assuming that they are a good place, as they appear to be from reviews)? I wonder if I should just pay the local shop to clean the sensor and test the camera?

Anyway, this is good news.

Tom

update

Dried with lots of silica gel desiccant packs in a bag. Dried lens in sunlight as suggested. Camera works, it is fully functional.
I tried the test described above (a time exposure while moving the camera on an out-of-focus uniform background) and the sensor is dirty. I have a sensor cleaning kit which I've never used. I could try the sensor cleaning kit, and would do the following: watch youtube tutorials on how to use the kit, clean it as best I can with air, then use the cleaning kit and re-test.

But I would still like to know if the camera and lens are performing like new, and I don't know how to determine that myself. Is that the sort of question the local camera shop could answer (assuming that they are a good place, as they appear to be from reviews)? I wonder if I should just pay the local shop to clean the sensor and test the camera?

Anyway, this is good news.

Tom
What does performing like new mean? Make images with it. Do they look good? Are you satisfied? Then what's to check?

There are a few threads around here about sensor leaning. It is a very simple process. Be careful, follow the instructions. In one of those threads is a link to the Sony instructions. Always start with an internal cleaning first and see it that solves the problem.

There are a few threads around here about sensor leaning. It is a very simple process. Be careful, follow the instructions. In one of those threads is a link to the Sony instructions.
I would defiantly go 3rd party protractors as the Sony ones are so complex and expensive.

Back