Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
I was on the phone with a software support tech a few days ago and we were talking, and I asked, "What is a decent Web Cam these days?" and he responded, "Just use your DSLR?. I had not thought about that but I did today and I'm thinking it's overkill. I did research some Web Cams today and I would be happy with a $60+ unit like a Logitech. The use would be an occasional Zoom or Microsoft Teams session. These services appear to limit the frame rate to 30 fps. Having said that, has anyone here used their Sony Alpha camera to stream your video on the Web? If so, what additional equipment are you using? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Anybody?

In my job as a business analyst I teach people how to use Cisco Webex, so I've seen a lot of poor quality video calls and cameras. That said, using an expensive DSLR camera for a webcam is like using a Corvette to pick up groceries: gets the job done but its overkill 😅
In all seriousness, as long as your camera supports the webcam functionality, why not try it out? slap on a wide lens and have the cleanest video feed that 1280x720p and 30fps will allow (oooh I see Teams allows up to 1080p nice!). It looks like your camera DOES support webcam functionality with Sony's software installed. more details here:

What are you using for audio? headset or would you use your camera's mic as well?

Last edited:
In my job as a business analyst I teach people how to use Cisco Webex, so I've seen a lot of poor quality video calls and cameras. That said, using an expensive DSLR camera for a webcam is like using a Corvette to pick up groceries: gets the job done but its overkill 😅
In all seriousness, as long as your camera supports the webcam functionality, why not try it out? slap on a wide lens and have the cleanest video feed that 1280x720p and 30fps will allow (oooh I see Teams allows up to 1080p nice!). It looks like your camera DOES support webcam functionality with Sony's software installed. more details here:

What are you using for audio? headset or would you use your camera's mic as well?
I have a Dell branded Sound Bar that works well for Audio so I'll stick with that.

Down loaded twice. I have an 7M3 with a 7M4 ordered. The same version works for both. Now to figure out, cabling!

Using it as a webcam does not remove from other uses. Indeed, it expands it uses. Pretty cool, I'd say. When you go, go first class. If you run out of money just come home early. ;o)

Back