What L Bracket's do you have attached to your A7R IV ?

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Sdhiker

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 28, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego, California
Just wondering what L Brackets everyone is using with there A7R IV ? I have usually bought cheaper ones off of Amazon but I have also had some bad experiences with opening the side doors for accessing the micro usb for intervalometer use, or other brackets that did not quite line up with the battery compartment.

I'm thinking about just getting the Really Right Stuff L Bracket
but that is pretty expensive for an L Bracket. I have researched what's out there and the only other L Brackets that I like are:

This one seen on Ebay

This one you used to be able to find on Amazon but is only available on Ebay as well

This one from SmallRig also looks promising.

I tend to like having the L Plate cover the entire bottom of the camera, it feels like it creates a little more depth for hand holding the camera compared to the L Plates that only seem to cover half of the bottom of the camera, but if anyone has experience with using both I would be curious to hear it.

GregS

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
I have the 3 Legged Thing (short) and it works great. Plenty of clearance for battery but some of the side doors are blocked. I'm really happy with how solid it is and how well it works on the Peak Design tripod.

Reactions: Sdhiker

Pat_M

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Iowa
I have the small rig bracket for my A7RIV. I like it, it is thicker on the base so it fits my hand better. The "L" part slides away from the body for easier access to the ports on the side. Even has a magnetic holder for the key.

Reactions: Sdhiker

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Like Pat I’m also using the Smallrig L-bracket. I’ll often remove the l-part and just use it as a grip extension. It’s very comfortable and doesn’t rotate on the camera body like my R3 l-bracket did.

Sdhiker

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 28, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego, California
Thanks for all your replies. My patience got the better of me and I decided to bite the bullet and buy the RRS L Plate not to long after I wrote this. It is a lot of money to spend on an L Plate. I got the L Plate the other day and so far so good, just like Timothy mentioned about his the camera the L Plate seems to be more formed so that the camera sits into the plate and it holds it in place better then previous versions of L Plates I've had. The doors open well and my cable release fits in nicely without having to extend the plate. I have not had a chance to test it out in field yet but If this works well I may need to look at replacing my cheap plate on my A7R3, that one always seems to shift and I need to tighten it down constantly.

cdphotoguy

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Nov 6, 2020
Name
Charles Delano

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.