What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

My Tammy 28-200 has been delivered. Unfortunately, it's at home and I'm at work...

My Tammy 28-200 has been delivered. Unfortunately, it's at home and I'm at work...
And...it's got three small scratches on the lens. Going back.

Today FedEx brought me a package from B&H, a lovely little 40mm f/1.2 Voigtlander.... I already have three other Voigtlanders and these are just beautiful lenses which render and handle images in their own way. In the old days when I was still using DSLRs, I never would have bought manual focus-only lenses, but with the technology available today in our Sony (and other brand cameras), especially with focus peaking, using MF is so much more pleasant and not nearly as challenging as it had been in the past.

I bought this lens to use primarily with my A7C but of course she will also spend time on the A7R V in particular....

Isn't she pretty?

Voigtlander 40mm Catching the Light.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5
  • 110.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 65535

A shot of the three other Voigtlanders who share space in this household, shot by the new girl as I was putting her through her paces: :

Voigtlander Trio.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 65535

A distinctly imperfect but interesting image shot with her wide-open at f/1.2:

Soft Colors on a Summer Day.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 320

This lens and I are gong to have fun together!

@Clix Pix - Congrats!

I've been eyeballing that lens after getting the 23 1.2 for my Fujis. Perfectly imperfect indeed. Tons of character.
Feels nice to operate, communicates exif data and manual focus aids work a treat.

I'm hoping that it might go on some kind of Prime Day special or or one pops up 2ndhand as it won't replace the 35GM or 50 GM - it'll be a fun addition to them so I don't want to pop full price for one.

A while ago a friend on another site mentioned it as a great little travel lens in conjunction with the A7C, which caught my attention, and since I have a particular love for really fast lenses anyway, this one kept drifting around in the back of my mind for a while as a potential future member of the household..... As you said, tons of character, gorgeous rendering of color, and creamy bokeh as well when shot wide-open. I've already experienced that with my other Voigtlanders and they each are really distinctive lenses in their own right.

For a long time I kept questioning if I really needed a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 when I already have the amazing 35mm f/1.2..... The more I read and heard about it from others, and the more I thought about it, yeah, OK, I just had to see for myself! Since the lens just arrived today I still have to play a lot more with her, of course, as today was just first time use, experimental, getting to know the lens a little better, and unfortunately due to weather, all done in the house, with inherent limitations.

Definitely this lens does not replace either the wonderful Sony f/1.4 AF 35mm, the stunning Voigtlander 35mm MF f/1.2 or the astonishing Sony GM 50mm AF f/1.2 -- She definitely is already showing me, though, that she has her own personality which I think will be a lot of fun exploring!

Today FedEx brought me a package from B&H, a lovely little 40mm f/1.2 Voigtlander.... I already have three other Voigtlanders and these are just beautiful lenses which render and handle images in their own way. In the old days when I was still using DSLRs, I never would have bought manual focus-only lenses, but with the technology available today in our Sony (and other brand cameras), especially with focus peaking, using MF is so much more pleasant and not nearly as challenging as it had been in the past.

I bought this lens to use primarily with my A7C but of course she will also spend time on the A7R V in particular....

Isn't she pretty?

View attachment 42477

A shot of the three other Voigtlanders who share space in this household, shot by the new girl as I was putting her through her paces: :

View attachment 42479

A distinctly imperfect but interesting image shot with her wide-open at f/1.2:

View attachment 42478

This lens and I are gong to have fun together!

It looks like a lens with a lot of character. Lovely picture of the chrysanthemums.

The flower shot had me searching google. I had my finger hovering above a second hand voightlander 10mm lens for 20 minutes before I took a step back.

Voigtlander lenses are truly special. They offer several beautiful lenses for Sony E-Mount, which is great, no adapter needed, basically a native mount lens. They definitely have a distinctive quality which shines through no matter what is being shot. Although the 40mm f/1.2 is not a macro lens I was pleased at the close focusing distance which is possible. The lens gives the viewer a dreamy image wide-open but, yes, working with the the razor-edge-thin f/1.2 shallow DOF is a bit tricky! Moving to f/1.4, f/1.8, etc., gives a little more latitude as the DOF becomes less shallow. Still got to work on my technique with that wide-open f/1.2.... As the user stops down, say for shooting distant scenes and such, the lens happily shows her ability to produce good, sharp images as well.

Kind of excited about this one. I like 830nm IR photography. I have an X-E1 Fuji converted by Lifepixel. It's getting a big brother. Found an 830nm converted A7II that should be here in about a week. Fun for those super bright days that are otherwise blah to shoot or out of airplanes of all things.

Something a little different. Will be selling my A7 720nm converted body shortly. I just like the deep blacks OOC from the 830nm better.

IR photography is fascinating and so are the images! Enjoy your new IR-converted A7R II!

IR photography is fascinating and so are the images! Enjoy your new IR-converted A7R II!
Thanks! It's fun for a change of pace. Even the flare is different. Apologies for the Fuji shot. Soon they will be from the A7II. :)
830nm rainier.jpeg
  • X-E1
  • XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6R LM OIS WR
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/140 sec
  • ISO 800

Thanks! It's fun for a change of pace. Even the flare is different. Apologies for the Fuji shot. Soon they will be from the A7II. :)View attachment 42528
I played around with an IR filter for a while on my previous Pentax dslr. I assumed it was full spectrum IR, but now you’ve got me thinking.

The conversion you’re discussing - limiting to 830nm. what’s the difference in outcomes, and, should I have experienced a select range of IR filters instead of just one?

I played around with an IR filter for a while on my previous Pentax dslr. I assumed it was full spectrum IR, but now you’ve got me thinking.

The conversion you’re discussing - limiting to 830nm. what’s the difference in outcomes, and, should I have experienced a select range of IR filters instead of just one?

I'm not smart enough to clearly enunciate the differences. I believe that if you have a full spectrum conversion and run an 830nm filter you would get the same results as my 830nm converted bodies. No false colors - just pure black and white output.

The 720 has a little bit of greyish slightly tinted output that needs to be tuned to taste for b/w.

These guys know best. :)

I'm not smart enough to clearly enunciate the differences. I believe that if you have a full spectrum conversion and run an 830nm filter you would get the same results as my 830nm converted bodies. No false colors - just pure black and white output.

The 720 has a little bit of greyish slightly tinted output that needs to be tuned to taste for b/w.

These guys know best. :)

Thanks,
From what I’ve been reading, it looks like I need to use my Pentax K7 DSLR. An external IR filter yields nought effect as IR wavelengths, it’s said, are no joy on A7 series cameras unless converted.

I better test it, just the same.

Not exactly exciting, but I bought a pair of Lexar 64GB UHSII SD cards (300mb/s) for $110USD. Thanks Prime Day!

Bought a new a7R V and FE 4/70-200 G lens. I hope my a7 II doesn't get jealous :ROFLMAO:. My dad said he would probably like to upgrade so it can continue to be enjoyed by him.

Bought a new a7R V and FE 4/70-200 G lens. I hope my a7 II doesn't get jealous :ROFLMAO:. My dad said he would probably like to upgrade so it can continue to be enjoyed by him.
I have the 70-200 f4 G lens. I freaking love it. I use it for wildlife shots.

I took your advice and at least rented the Sony 24mm 1.4 for an upcoming trip to visit the grandkids. Will try the APS=c mode to get to 36mm.

I took your advice and at least rented the Sony 24mm 1.4 for an upcoming trip to visit the grandkids. Will try the APS=c mode to get to 36mm.
I’d be interested in what you decide. I don’t use APS-C mode with my 20mm, but instead I use 2x Clear Image Zoom. That way I get (interpolated) full frame image Mp. though in Heif format, and the quality is high enough that I have trouble picking out a difference had I used Sony 35mm GM.

I have bought a Nisi 10 Stop ND Filter as sat on mine in error whilst changing between 6 & 10 :)

If you're looking for a 24, look at the Samyang 24/1.8. If it'll freeze a drag racer in low light at 1/1000, I'm sure it'll do your grandkids justice, for $1000 LESS.

DSC05184 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Geez, that's crazy! I've never tried the Samyang or voigtlanders. I've always stayed within the camera brand or Sigma. Will definitely check it out. Thanks

Oh no! It’s arrived.

I can sense another expensive obsession developing.
GJF04969.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 3200

I terminated my SLT experiment, and picked up an α6000 instead. I already had an adapter from μ43 to E mount, so I suddenly have a 10/5.6 fisheye and 17/23/35/50mm f/1.4 primes with optics designed for aps-c! I added a 55-210 for OSS, but Pentax primes can also take me to 135mm. I'll probably add an 18-55 OSS soon.

My Heipi travel tripod turned up yesterday.

I ordered it on 25th May, knowing it would take a while.

Bit of a shock, the package was way heavier than I expected. Once all the packaging was removed, it was actually pretty good weight wise. Initial impressions are good, but I've yet to drive it on the roads.

Now, where are going to ride to, as Coogee would have too much light pollution wouldn't it?
Much too much. Maybe South Coast. :)

Back