What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Removed the A9.
The surplus cash I have is going to be saved for whenever Fujifilm has a sale on either the X-H2s, H2, or T5.
Tempting to add the XF30 macro though - then I would have 30, 60, 80, 80x1.4x, 80x2.0x for AF macro lenses on my Fujifilm system. 🤪
Pretty sure you need to complete the set, my friend. :)

Loving the X-T5 so far. Didn't feel the X-H2S would be useful as it isn't going to compete with the A1 and the tele lens selection for XF is still lacking.
If they come out with a 500F4 that might change things.

The other thing is the X-H cameras don't have the "Fujiness" thing with the interface that the X-T5 has. Might as well be shooting any camera.

Pretty sure you need to complete the set, my friend. :)

Loving the X-T5 so far. Didn't feel the X-H2S would be useful as it isn't going to compete with the A1 and the tele lens selection for XF is still lacking.
If they come out with a 500F4 that might change things.

The other thing is the X-H cameras don't have the "Fujiness" thing with the interface that the X-T5 has. Might as well be shooting any camera.
Maybe I should wait to see what comes in the way of the X-Pro4. 🙂 My favorite Fujifilm camera was the X-Pro2. I even trained myself to become a right eye user due to loving to use the X-Pro2 so much. However, the X-T5 would at least follow the design philosophy of my two IR converted X-T3 cameras. 🙂

Just received my 7RV, very happy with the camera but also sad because I put my relatively new 24-70 GMII on it and the lens does not work, got out the A1 and the lens still does not connect with either camera. Tried a couple of other lenses both cameras are fine. So off, I drove to the Sony Pro Services office to drop it off, so they can try and see what is wrong with it.
One thing about this new body not sure why they took the markings off the exp comp dial, must have other functions I have not found yet

One thing about this new body not sure why they took the markings off the exp comp dial, must have other functions I have not found yet
Like the A7iv, the unmarked dial can now be programmed to be something else.

sorry, prague ticket wasn't the only thing,
I also purchased the Haida rear filter set for my sony 14GM, cause I find that carrying a front filter holder, which I also purchased, is a mess, I already have to carry the regular Benro 100mm filter holder, and got no more room in my bag for yet another adaptor.View attachment 28486
Luis, I have had my eye on one of those filters since I bought my 14mm G Master. Would you please try to remember to do a small report on this filter for us? How the fitment is and the optical quality as well as the ease of use? Thank you, Luis!

Maybe I should wait to see what comes in the way of the X-Pro4. 🙂 My favorite Fujifilm camera was the X-Pro2. I even trained myself to become a right eye user due to loving to use the X-Pro2 so much. However, the X-T5 would at least follow the design philosophy of my two IR converted X-T3 cameras. 🙂

I traded my Graphite X-Pro2 for some custom mouthpieces to a fellow in France (an expat, actually). Miss it. It definitely has the essential elements of a proper Fuji with the rangefinder styling / OVF / dials etc. A great host for the small, fast Fuji primes that end up being my favorites in the system.

The Q2 has taken over that duty though and with the excellent 28mm 1.7 lens, a nice 47mp to crop from and Kevlar :D I just had too many cameras.

Might offload the X-H1 and X-T2 and pick up the X-T4 eventually as I'm sure it'll be a great body.

not thrilled there is no longer a copy of the "Operating Instructions" either in the box or downloadable on line

not thrilled there is no longer a copy of the "Operating Instructions" either in the box or downloadable on line
Assuming you mean the A7RV, there is.

Go to the Support link for the A7RV, and you can download a PDF version of the Help Guide. Sounds like a small document? But it's over 500 pages - you click on the Web version, then there's a button labelled 'Printable PDF'.

Last edited:
Luis, I have had my eye on one of those filters since I bought my 14mm G Master. Would you please try to remember to do a small report on this filter for us? How the fitment is and the optical quality as well as the ease of use? Thank you, Luis!
Well, I've just made my very first shot with it an hour ago, which I'll post on the sunset and sunrise thread in this forum in a minute (the one with the concert hall), and the quality is perfect. In this shot I used the 10 steps ND filter, I'd say is an edge better than the front filter.
The only issue is that for any reason, the rear holder do not fit perfectly the lens, and I had to give up on one of the three screws, which I guess will be enough to hold it in place.

Assuming you mean the A7RV, there is.

Go to the Support link for the A7RV, and you can download a PDF version of the Help Guide. Sounds like a small document? But it's over 500 pages - you click on the Web version, then there's a button labelled 'Printable PDF'.
Thanks, Yes I know but that is not the one I am asking for, every Sony camera came with both the "Help Guide(manual)" and the "Operating Instructions", this is the first one without a form of the latter. I have expressed my feeling to Sony Pro Support, we will see if they add it to the downloadable optioins.
My first Sony cameras came with both in the box, at some point as the "Help Guide" grew in size it became only downloadable but the Operating Instructions were always included in the box and were also downloadable.

Well, I've just made my very first shot with it an hour ago, which I'll post on the sunset and sunrise thread in this forum in a minute (the one with the concert hall), and the quality is perfect. In this shot I used the 10 steps ND filter, I'd say is an edge better than the front filter.
The only issue is that for any reason, the rear holder do not fit perfectly the lens, and I had to give up on one of the three screws, which I guess will be enough to hold it in pl
Thank you, Luis.

Like the A7iv, the unmarked dial can now be programmed to be something else.
understood but i have not a clue what else I would rather the dial do. Coming from a long pro career in photography I find many of the modern cameras while great in their image quality and ease of use, there are many times for me , they too many function options, I would never need or use.. I understand many people like them but for me it is some times a recipe for mistakes. When I was shooting for work, i cannot tell you how many times we actually taped all sorts of dials down to make sure they did not move accidentally. Multiple functions are nice as long as you can lock them down, turn them off or make sure to check them before and during the shoot.

understood but i have not a clue what else I would rather the dial do. Coming from a long pro career in photography I find many of the modern cameras while great in their image quality and ease of use, there are many times for me , they too many function options, I would never need or use.. I understand many people like them but for me it is some times a recipe for mistakes. When I was shooting for work, i cannot tell you how many times we actually taped all sorts of dials down to make sure they did not move accidentally. Multiple functions are nice as long as you can lock them down, turn them off or make sure to check them before and during the shoot.
AND HOW!!!!!

I can pretty much guarantee the vast majority of people never use even half the features on almost anything, including this forum! Windows? Nope. Word? Nopers. My cameras? Not even close! I had my lens buttons programmed to shoot APS-C. Massive mistake. Touched the button by accident during a shoot and ended up with a bunch of cropped images. DISABLED!

And you can lock this dial down with its very own lock button.
I don't often use EC, but I'm leaving the dial set to EC for now, because that's where I'm accustomed to finding it. Maybe it might be convenient to use for ISO? I don't know - might try that.

I don't know if it's possible for all the custom buttons and dials, but you can deliberately un-set some of them - a button that is assigned to do nothing cannot mess with you. So maybe your customisation of the camera might be more of an "de-customisation"? :sneaky:

I have set modes 1 and 2 on the mode dial - I have learned that there are a couple of setups that are convenient to have available, even if I turn to the mode, then tweak it a little depending on the exact situation. Still pondering a setup for the third position.

I must admit that I am missing the stack of dials from the left side of the A1 - having single shot / hi / m / s burst always available is nice. Having AF-C / DMF always available is good, but may be unnecessary on the A7RV with its full-time DMF - still getting used to that.

yes there has been a lock there on the last few cameras, i just wish they had left the ext marks on the dial

Still wrestling with the 'best' A-mount adapter for my a7ii.
  1. EA3, Tamron 70-300, Maxxum lenses m-focus only.
  2. EA4, sell Tamron, AF with 24-105D & 100-300D Apo.
Pros and cons are mostly subjective. #1 silent AF and more focus points, #2 a pinch less bulk and more versatility. Might need to own both to make a call on it..
Analysis paralysis 😵‍💫

I have TTArtisan 21 + 28-70oss, so wide end is rather settled. For now.

Last edited:
Took advantage of Green Monday to get two Delkin Green 80 GB CFeA cards for the A7Siii.
And now I need to get a CFeB card because I decided to order a used Fujifilm X-H2s. This is the 26MP APSC stacked sensor camera.

Caught a break tonight, EA4 via kehoutlet/eBay. Now I can test Maxxum+EA4 vs Tamron+EA3 and decide what my next steps are.

Caught a break tonight, EA4 via kehoutlet/eBay. Now I can test Maxxum+EA4 vs Tamron+EA3 and decide what my next steps are.
Good deal! I love using that old glass. Might want to check microfocus just for the heck of it. I had all but given up on my 100-400 APO. When I checked I found out it was back focusing. An adjustment of -4 made a world of difference. Bear in mind you lose abut 1/3 stop due to the mirror. So far none of my other lenses exhibit a problem, but one of these cold winter days coming I'll make it a project.

Finally scratched a couple of itches that I've had for a while..... Today I went to my favorite camera shop and came home with the lovely new A7R V and the 24-70mm GM II -- yay!!!!!

Back in late 2019 when I bought my A7R IV and was starting fresh with lenses, having traded in all my Nikon gear at that time, I had initially planned to buy the Sony 24-70mm GM, as I'd loved that range and had frequently used my Nikon 24-70. Well, the reviews of the first version were tepid and I had other lenses to consider as well, so skipped the 24-70mm GM, but have always felt the absence of that versatile zoom range. So, as I told the people at the store today, "I've been waiting three years for this!" as I smiled at the box containing the 24-70 GM II.

At the time I bought my A1 I couldn't bear to part with my beloved A7R IV, and in the time since then, I have been very glad that I did keep that camera, as she filled a distinctive niche and my 90mm macro and I just loved her. The two cameras complemented one another. The A7R IV did primarily macro and closeup work in the house or around the grounds while the A1 took on the challenge of shooting wildlife and other types of subjects. The 90mm macro continued to happily claim her place on the A7R IV as she had been doing since Day 1 back in late 2019, while more often than not the 100-400mm or other lenses were ready to go outside for some fun with the A1.

When the new A7R V was announced, I read the description, looked at the features and functions and thought, "yes, it's time now to say goodbye to the A7R IV, "as there were several really good reasons to move to the new camera. So I packed up my wonderful A7R IV this morning and we made a journey to the camera shop. The A7R IV stayed there while the A7R V came home with me and the 24-70.....

A few hours later and only after just doing pretty much the basics in terms of setting up the camera, already I am seeing advantages and affirmation that this was indeed a good choice for me. Of course I will need to tweak some things tomorrow when I've more time to actually work with the camera and shoot with it doing something more serious than quick snapshots of the box and such. All I can say right now is, I'm very happy!

Last edited:
Thanks to Timothy's Accessories information:

I have ordered the foldable L-bracket which will not be released until January 23, 2023.

I have also promptly questioned SmallRig if they will release this wonderful concept for the Fujifilm X-H2 cameras.

With our recent cold snap I realised my gloves weren't up to the job of keeping my fingers nice and toasty. I've got thicker gloves that I can wear but then I can barely use the camera. So I decided to invest in a pair of Vallerret Tinden Photography Gloves. Now that I've ordered these the temperature here probably won't drop below freezing for the rest of the winter! But by the sounds of it they might come in handy over in the US right now! ❄️☃️

With our recent cold snap I realised my gloves weren't up to the job of keeping my fingers nice and toasty. I've got thicker gloves that I can wear but then I can barely use the camera. So I decided to invest in a pair of Vallerret Tinden Photography Gloves. Now that I've ordered these the temperature here probably won't drop below freezing for the rest of the winter! But by the sounds of it they might come in handy over in the US right now! ❄️☃️
Describe 'cold snap'?

This morning it's 7F, wind chill -16F. Winds WSW @ 25-30 with 40+MPH gusts and 50+MPH gusts expected. Windchill later forecast for -22F. Snow forecast is for 5"-8" through Christmas morning but they keep downgrading it.

weather-warning-southerners-are-urged-not-to-travel-unless-absolutely-29994654-png.354364

Describe 'cold snap'?

This morning it's 7F, wind chill -16F. Winds WSW @ 25-30 with 40+MPH gusts and 50+MPH gusts expected. Windchill later forecast for -22F. Snow forecast is for 5"-8" through Christmas morning but they keep downgrading it.
Definitely not that cold! It only went down to around 17.6F, but that was cold enough with the wind chill factor. I cycled 10 miles to work once when living in Germany. I hadn't bothered to check the temperature but found out it was around -4F when I got to work. I was prepared for cold and the cycling helped to keep me warm. However, I knew it must have been colder than usual as my water bottle had frozen solid when I arrived which had never happened before! I was younger and fitter back then, I would of probably collapsed on the way if I tried that today.

Is it a cold snap when you go to snap your fingers and one breaks off?

I think it’s forecast to reach 100F near me in the next week, and some parts of Australia are expecting temperatures over 40C… I won’t be needing a coat - more sun screen and a wide brim hat!

Definitely not that cold! It only went down to around 17.6F, but that was cold enough with the wind chill factor. I cycled 10 miles to work once when living in Germany. I hadn't bothered to check the temperature but found out it was around -4F when I got to work. I was prepared for cold and the cycling helped to keep me warm. However, I knew it must have been colder than usual as my water bottle had frozen solid when I arrived which had never happened before! I was younger and fitter back then, I would of probably collapsed on the way if I tried that today.
Yikes! Yup, that's cold.

Describe 'cold snap'?

weather-warning-southerners-are-urged-not-to-travel-unless-absolutely-29994654-png.354364
Good day to work on photo editing with lightroom classic!

Good day to work on photo editing with lightroom classic!
Got pies and cookies to make, presents to wrap, birds to feed, and I wouldn't use Adobe if they were the last software provider on earth. It'd be jpeg only from that point on!

Well... GAS has struck again. Been 135GM curious but I don't shoot that fl very often. Came across the reviews / sample images from the Samyang/Rokinon 135 1.8 and it seems to compare pretty well except for AF. Not a priority for me on a portrait lens. For $702 shipped brand new the Rokinon is coming my way. I've had good luck with Samyang/Rokinon MF lenses so we'll see how this goes. The lens looks pretty darned bokehlicious.

Back