What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I ordered a multi-purpose device that kinda qualifies for this thread. It's a usb-powered heat wrap for optics (camera or telescope) to keep fog away, about $15-20 on the amazin' site. Its other purpose is to keep my glass humm-bird feeder from freezing, like it did a few days ago. At least no tiny tongues were stuck on it when I brought it inside for defrost /refill!!

I have not bought it yet but I will be getting it all ready to buy today and this is the full GPS phone app.
As where I live each tree looks like the one down the road and the land here is very flat so this makes
getting lost very easy. With a GPS tracker I will be able to to look at where I am and make my way back to the car.
And yes I have been lost more than one time so this is going to be a safety investment for me.
I have just got a pair of Gaiters which if you are unsure of what these are they are made of canvas and
go around your calves and held in place with straps under your shoe/boots. They Velcro together and make a solid
boot to knee cover. Here at the moment the wild grasses are so high and you just don't know where your foot is going to land.
So you could very easily step on a snake. So this is protection, though I will say that snakes are as scared of you as you are of them
and most times just your walking noise is enough to make the go the other way. But there are some snakes that don't scare as easy.
Making a set of these gaiters a worth while purchase in saving your life

I cannot believe the huge price difference between CFeA and CFeB. Ordered through BH, Delkin CFeB Green 512 GB for $170. Nice sale but good grief even better than SD UHS-II cards. Ordered the card for the Fujifilm X-H2s which I will hopefully get tomorrow (I think it is being sent to me by boat and then a slug). Yesterday, I ordered the XF 23 f2 at a $100 savings (a new item at the used price). Eventually, I will get the 35 and 50 Fujicrons for my compact kit of primes. If I knew that the XF 30 macro could be used for IR, I might have gone for it first.

I cannot believe the huge price difference between CFeA and CFeB. Ordered through BH, Delkin CFeB Green 512 GB for $170. Nice sale but good grief even better than SD UHS-II cards. Ordered the card for the Fujifilm X-H2s which I will hopefully get tomorrow (I think it is being sent to me by boat and then a slug). Yesterday, I ordered the XF 23 f2 at a $100 savings (a new item at the used price). Eventually, I will get the 35 and 50 Fujicrons for my compact kit of primes. If I knew that the XF 30 macro could be used for IR, I might have gone for it first.
The cf-a price difference is tough. Haven’t gone that way yet. So far v90 sd cards have been fine. Has anyone determined the 30mm suitability for IR? If not I can give it a try on my 830nm XE1 and check for hot spots. We’ve got constant rain at the moment in Seattle and I haven’t used that body for a while.

The cf-a price difference is tough. Haven’t gone that way yet. So far v90 sd cards have been fine. Has anyone determined the 30mm suitability for IR? If not I can give it a try on my 830nm XE1 and check for hot spots. We’ve got constant rain at the moment in Seattle and I haven’t used that body for a while.
I haven't seen anyone report on the XF 30 for IR yet. If you get a chance to try the lens on the IR camera that would be appreciated. Our winter weather sure did start up with a kick. :)

Yes, the current price of CFeA cards is unpleasant. I have a few, mainly because my local Sony had a really good price on them last year - basically half price. Unfortunately, they didn't do the same this year. Would have been nice if they'd offered the new big CFeA cards for a huge discount (90% off would have bene nice :) ).

I haven't seen anyone report on the XF 30 for IR yet. If you get a chance to try the lens on the IR camera that would be appreciated. Our winter weather sure did start up with a kick. :)
Very glad the ice is gone. Please don’t take this as gospel but I shot at 2.8 5.6 and 14! and didn’t see any hot spots. Battery died right afterwards.

Very glad the ice is gone. Please don’t take this as gospel but I shot at 2.8 5.6 and 14! and didn’t see any hot spots. Battery died right afterwards.
Sounds promising. I think I will get the local store to order it. I still have a credit there that pays for most of the lens. Thank you for testing.

So this thread asks what gear you have bought or sold. Hmm. Christmas has just ended and from within my family I recieved two new items. Does this count? here goes anyway. First of all, I got the very expensive Sony CFa reader that also reads SDXC's. That was good I think. I also scored a set of 4 Freewell ND Filters for my DJI Avata drone. Also a very nice gift.

So this thread asks what gear you have bought or sold. Hmm. Christmas has just ended and from within my family I recieved two new items. Does this count? here goes anyway. First of all, I got the very expensive Sony CFa reader that also reads SDXC's. That was good I think. I also scored a set of 4 Freewell ND Filters for my DJI Avata drone. Also a very nice gift.
Those are nice gifts Jeff. What a lovely family you have. I had to buy my own 😂 You definitely can't go wrong with the Sony reader, it's a much better build than the Prograde reader and doesn't get quite so hot.

Congratulations.

One tip - the Sony reader runs hot. I recommend unplugging it when not in use.

One of the first things I bought when I was getting ready to purchase the A1 a couple of years ago was the Sony CFE Type A / SD card reader, and it has been invaluable. For quite a while I used it shooting both CFE Type A cards and SD cards -- CFE in the A1 and SD cards in the A7R IV plus my other two Sony cameras. Now that I've got the A7R V I'm enjoying being able to use the CFE Type A cards in both the A1 and the new camera, so now it will be very infrequently that I still need to use the reader for SD cards, but that capability is still there when I need it. The dual-function functionality of this is definitely well worth the expense of this card reader.

Mine gets warm but not excessively hot. I keep it plugged into one of the USB -C ports on the back of my LG 4K monitor, and that way it is always readily at hand, easy to reach for and slide a card into....

Sold my Pentax gear.

Bought a Sony A7iv. A 200-600mm and a Sony f4 24-105mm. The camera body and long lens were both returns, so got some money off there. The 24-105mm is a secondhand lens.

One of the first things I bought when I was getting ready to purchase the A1 a couple of years ago was the Sony CFE Type A / SD card reader, and it has been invaluable. For quite a while I used it shooting both CFE Type A cards and SD cards -- CFE in the A1 and SD cards in the A7R IV plus my other two Sony cameras. Now that I've got the A7R V I'm enjoying being able to use the CFE Type A cards in both the A1 and the new camera, so now it will be very infrequently that I still need to use the reader for SD cards, but that capability is still there when I need it. The dual-function functionality of this is definitely well worth the expense of this card reader.

Mine gets warm but not excessively hot. I keep it plugged into one of the USB -C ports on the back of my LG 4K monitor, and that way it is always readily at hand, easy to reach for and slide a card into....
Mine gets almost too hot to touch, even when not in use. Still works, but very hot.

Got a couple of memory cards, not very interesting;)

FE 70–200 mm F2.8 GM OSS II SEL70200GM2

This was a tough call, with much going back and forth between this and the
FE 100-400mm super-telephoto zoom G Master lens SEL100400GM F4.5–5.6

I walk with my camera for two to three hours every day and often start an hour before dawn. As much as I wanted the longer reach of the 100-400, the lighter weight and larger aperture won out. I also considered getting the A7R V to replace my A7 IV instead of getting a new lens. The rationale was to crop the higher megapixel images (61 vs 33) in post, to increase the reach. I was encouraged by two people to get the lens. Both of them own the A7R5 and 70-200 GM II and 100-400 GM and 200-600 G.

I've been using a FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS Lens SEL24105G for five months and really enjoying it. I'm ecstatically happy with the new one.

Last edited:
Tim I bought a couple of the Kingston canvas cheap ones you mentioned a while ago, worth a try I guess
I ended up finding a sale on Sony Tough cards so I went that way. Let us know how the Kingston work out.

A 77mm Hoya UV filter for the 24-105

Bluetooth remote, I know some will say just use your phone, but the majority of my shooting is either landscape or wildlife my phone is safer in my pocket and I won’t run the battery down. A camouflage rain cover for the 200-600

After years of being into my photography but never owning a lens with a focal length shorter than 24mm, I finally bought a 14mm Samyang f2.8 for my A7rii. I am really looking forward to getting out on an adventure with it and seeing what it can do.

I swapped some gear for a Tamron 35mm plus cash. I'll make good use of the 1:2 closeup and limited weather protection.
On the µ43 side I've decided to revert to an eM1 original body, as the GX85 isn't getting much attention and I had been getting pretty comfortable with the eM1 settings.

I haven't bought anything photography-related for a while now since the A7R V in December..... Instead I am enjoying that beautiful camera and still having fun trying out my different lenses on her. No plans for anything else new for a while now, have to give the bank account time to settle down and breathe comfortably again! Maybe in the spring, though, as that is when I usually get out and do a lot more shooting outdoors again and also get the urge for something new, too. One reason I bought the A7R V when I did is because I do tend to do a lot of indoor macro/closeup/tabletop photography during the cold winter months and that camera, like my previous A7R IV, is just so, so ideal for this kind of shooting!

Last edited:
I have sold and been paid for my DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone with the Hasselblad designed camera. A possible replacement would be for a different week.

Last edited:
I picked up eleven of the notorious Play Apps for my a7r2. Mostly free or $5, a couple of full price items. I look forward to trying the composite modes..

Yay! I actually sold some things. One, a Velbon Hide Clamp that was gathering dust, and the second a Novo Gimbal Head, because I just cannot get on with using a Tripod and actually found a gimbal even more restrictive. These sales will fund my wall print of the Waxwing

A collapsible lens hood for the Maxxum 28-135, which is completely useless as it vignettes all the way through 70mm, even when collapsed. Good thing I only paid $6, shipped.

A sensor cleaning kit (or two)

Finally. The camera I've been waiting to see at a reasonable price.
A7Riii 590nm IR converted camera with only 1,600 shutter count - $1,400.

I got a vertical grip for the A1 and A7IV and another NP FZ-100 battery

I don't plan to take this for my long walks, but I'm doing some event photography and video soon. So it should be good not to have to watch the battery meter as much.

I like the feel of the vertical grip, and it should be nice to have all the buttons where I'm used to finding them on the camera. And I won't to have my right elbow waving about like an injured wing.

Back