What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Quick update on the 2x teleconverter.

I returned it, and I'm checking out the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS now, and getting shots like this.

Well, I bought myself one more treat this week, the Meike 6.5mm f/2 190° circular fisheye. I actually was looking for reviews on something else and ran across one for this lens, noted that it was available in E-mount and thought, "hm........" I have an 11mm fisheye from another manufacturer, which is nice but while it shows some distortion, it doesn't really go all the way like a circular fisheye does. The price on the Meike was reasonable and so I ordered one, which arrived mid-afternoon. Oh, this is a fun little thing! It is meant for APS-C lenses but in FF it gives one the nice circular image "framed" in black. Definitely takes some getting-used-to, though, when shooting!

A couple of samples, both shot from my deck, which overlooks a small lake which is surrounded by condominium apartment buildings on one side and condominium townhouses on the other side:

Warped View of the Lake.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • ----
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Circle of Light.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • ----
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 12800

Yust ordered the OM1 camera with the 300mmF4 pro + the teleconverter and extra battery and remotecontroll. So eger to capture those takeoffs and actionshots of birds with pro-capture which I most of the time fail with my sony gear..

New to this forum. Sold off the rest of my Nikon gear and now have the a7RV. I've had the a7IV for a while. Oh and I'll be using the Tamron 20-40 for Sony this week at two events. Tested it out at WPPI and it's great for that, light too.

I’ve been purchasing nice glass. Back in the dark ages in the time of dial up, I had a state of the art digital camera and a solid ink printer for preparing expert reports. I learnt then that digital camera bodies would become obsolete technology on the day of purchase. Hasn’t stopped me from buying them, so I’m also eyeing off the upgrade from A7iv. What I need is a good excuse. (Fiona Apple)

New to this forum. Sold off the rest of my Nikon gear and now have the a7RV. I've had the a7IV for a while. Oh and I'll be using the Tamron 20-40 for Sony this week at two events. Tested it out at WPPI and it's great for that, light too.
Welcome Jeff.

I’ve been purchasing nice glass. Back in the dark ages in the time of dial up, I had a state of the art digital camera and a solid ink printer for preparing expert reports. I learnt then that digital camera bodies would become obsolete technology on the day of purchase. Hasn’t stopped me from buying them, so I’m also eyeing off the upgrade from A7iv. What I need is a good excuse. (Fiona Apple)
I'm currently saving my 'Husband Brownie Points' to see what happens with the new A93. I waffle back and forth between wanting MP and not. I certainly don't need them, the 42 in the 7R3 is more than plenty. I'm still hoping (probably beyond reality) that Sony will take the 33MP sensor in the M4, stack it to make it a speed demon, and pop it in the A93. A fast camera in that MP range would make Sony the only one on the market going beyond the traditional 24MP for sports. Odds are they'll leave it 24 because there's really no need for pro sports shooters, but one can hope.

Just bought a 1.4 teleconverter for the 200-600mm on my A9II, tried it out yesterday for the first time it's going to get a bit of getting used to, seems to like small spot focus especially for birds in flight whereas I was just using zone. Early days yet .

switching to full-frame for Landscapes only ordered A7II and 16-35 F4 Zeiss and 35 1.4 Zeiss to get Started in full frame. Have Panasonic G9 100-400, 45 macro, 12-60 Leica lenses giving full frame a shot. Not much risk if it doesn't work as I expect.

Last edited:
I'm currently saving my 'Husband Brownie Points' to see what happens with the new A93. I waffle back and forth between wanting MP and not. I certainly don't need them, the 42 in the 7R3 is more than plenty. I'm still hoping (probably beyond reality) that Sony will take the 33MP sensor in the M4, stack it to make it a speed demon, and pop it in the A93. A fast camera in that MP range would make Sony the only one on the market going beyond the traditional 24MP for sports. Odds are they'll leave it 24 because there's really no need for pro sports shooters, but one can hope.
Since I bought the OM1 system now the A9iii will have the most advanced pro-capture - bird eye detection - voice activated exposure compensation and aperatur. :unsure:

Quick update on the 2x teleconverter.

I returned it, and I'm checking out the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS now, and getting shots like this.
Yep - the 200-600 was a big reason I strayed from my beloved Fujis. And the stacked sensor performance sealed the deal.

Three times the speed of my A7iv at the cost of lower resolution? I’m still getting used to burst set to slow! My 13 year old Pentax K7 was just as fast as my new mirrorless and with that I rarely used burst mode at capacity.

Are you shooting all those frames for birding? I have only just recognized the fun in it.

Are you shooting all those frames for birding?
No...

DSC07310 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05448 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

P1063493 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Disclaimer: Canadian Snowbirds photo is from a G9, haven't been to an air show for one reason or another since I've had Sony. Maybe this year.

Truth is I'm looking to replace the A7RIII as my backup camera at the drag strip. It just doesn't focus quickly enough to shoot good bursts. I'll typically shoot a one second burst for 6 frames with the A74 and it has no problem keeping up. The A7RIII spends too much time acquiring focus between shots as the car moves. I usually use the R3 right next to the car because there's less chance of focusing errors during the burst.

DSC03119 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:
They’re amazing images! Great inspiration.

Next t9ime I ride my motorcycle down through the National Park I’ll take my cam. NEver thought of attempting to photograph motorsports, as usually Im the guy on the bike.

They’re amazing images! Great inspiration.

Next t9ime I ride my motorcycle down through the National Park I’ll take my cam. NEver thought of attempting to photograph motorsports, as usually Im the guy on the bike.
Thanks. I received an all-access media pass for Milan Dragway and became one of their track photographers in 2019, have been going out there since then, usually about 6 times a year. This year I've been invited to shoot at a local 1/4 miles Oval/Figure 8 track. Looking forward to that.

Hi all! Excited about my new lenses that arrived this week…. Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG DN Art and Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN Art. After many hours of comparison research…trying these over the Sony GMs.

Bought a PK-E adapter with aperture dial, to let my DA Limiteds out to play. The 35/2.8 macro and 70/2.4 cover 36x24 to the corners, though how well they perform out there is "user defined"
:love:(n)☠️
I'll post some shots soon, for academic purposes.

I purchased an 85mm F1.8 and took it to the beach to try and shoot the visiting terns [with the 200-600].

These guys were trying to take a selfie, so I helped them out. I think I'm going to enjoy this lens.

View attachment 33509
These look like interns rather than terns.

No...

DSC07310 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05448 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

P1063493 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Disclaimer: Canadian Snowbirds photo is from a G9, haven't been to an air show for one reason or another since I've had Sony. Maybe this year.

Truth is I'm looking to replace the A7RIII as my backup camera at the drag strip. It just doesn't focus quickly enough to shoot good bursts. I'll typically shoot a one second burst for 6 frames with the A74 and it has no problem keeping up. The A7RIII spends too much time acquiring focus between shots as the car moves. I usually use the R3 right next to the car because there's less chance of focusing errors during the burst.

DSC03119 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
So you just refuse to shoot Road Runners or Flaming Chickens?

Quite a surprising day. Went to my local camera store to pick up the following items that finally came:
M.Zuiko 12-100 f4 Pro
M.Zuiko 40-150 f2.8 Pro
M.Zuiko 60 macro
M.Zuiko 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters
Get home and FedEx delivered a fun little product:
M.Zuiko 9 f8 Fisheye body cap

Still waiting for the 90 macro, the local store has a slow distributor for OMDS gear. Traded in all my Fujifilm gear to cover the complete cost of all the OMDS gear.

The 12-100 and 40-150 zooms are rated to work with the 50 fps of my OM-1. Even with the A1, I rarely want more than 15 fps.

Er, I need to find time to play with these toys.

Quite a surprising day. Went to my local camera store to pick up the following items that finally came:
M.Zuiko 12-100 f4 Pro
M.Zuiko 40-150 f2.8 Pro
M.Zuiko 60 macro
M.Zuiko 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters
Get home and FedEx delivered a fun little product:
M.Zuiko 9 f8 Fisheye body cap

Still waiting for the 90 macro, the local store has a slow distributor for OMDS gear. Traded in all my Fujifilm gear to cover the complete cost of all the OMDS gear.

The 12-100 and 40-150 zooms are rated to work with the 50 fps of my OM-1. Even with the A1, I rarely want more than 15 fps.

Er, I need to find time to play with these toys.
The 40-150 2.8 pro is a great lens I have it, and 12-40 pro 2.8 and the whole system is under rated to be honest, the 40-150 plays nice with the 1.4 x

Last edited:
Still waiting for the lens that is in stock at the big stores, but it seems to take about three weeks for my local camera store to get the OM Systems 90mm macro. ☹️ And yet the other lens I wanted to add to my OM kit is not in stock at the big stores, so I ordered from the manufacturer and got it in three days from Hong Kong. 🤪
The Laowa 6mm f2 with electronic contacts and can be used with 58mm filters.

Bought: skimmer ground pod; going to spend some time on the beach with shorebirds here in San Diego
Sold; Benro B3 ballhead and monopod.

An architect walked into a church. His iPhone 14 pro gets the shot. His new A7iv and a bucket full of primes cannot.

Sony 14mm F1.8 GM

This week's acquisition: the Sony A7C. I'm looking ahead to finally doing some traveling again this spring and summer and decided that I have been spoiled by my FF camera bodies and lenses and also have realized that maybe it is time to retire the RX10 IV, which is showing its age. I weighed the pros and cons of simply purchasing another RX10 IV, as they are still available new, or going with either an APS-C camera body or a smaller FF body, or a compact fixed-lens body. I looked at the options available not only in Sony but in Fuji and Ricoh (Leica's amazing Q2 is really, sadly, beyond my financial reach), but I really like the versatility of an ILC body. Eventually I realized that for about the same price I could buy an A7C (body only) and that seemed quite feasible since I already have several small, lightweight lenses which will happily make themselves right at home on it. Of course if I want, I can also use the A7C with any of my lenses since they all share the E-mount anyway.

Did my research online, read comments from others, both professional reviewers and various everyday users, and decided to go ahead with the purchase of an A7C, as it really ticked most of my boxes. I like staying within the Sony system, too, rathe than trying to fumble around learning something entirely new and different just for one camera. I've had the A7C since late yesterday afternoon but since it was rainy and yucky out wasn't able to do much beyond some shots in the house after I'd gotten things set up, using the hated old menu.....

So far the only two things which have been somewhat disconcerting, although I knew about them in advance, was that there is no front dial and the EVF leaves much to be desired. Promptly ordered a supplementary add-on eyecup -- I think it was someone on here who had mentioned that? -- and it should be arriving this afternoon from Amazon. Hoping that will help.

I am liking the small size and weight, and this camera's shape and dimensions remind me of my long-ago NEX-7, which I have rather missed. The A7C seems happy with the smaller lenses I've put on her so far, and even the 70-200mm seems quite doable. (Not going to try the longer lenses, though, they are just too large and heavy; they'll stick with the A7R V and the A1.)

Once I get off this computer I'll be getting outside today and playing more with the new camera!

Last edited:
Update: Huge kudos to the third-party eyecup -- major thanks to whoever mentioned it on here or somewhere else, as it definitely makes a difference for me! This thing changes the initial handing and usability for the EVF viewing experience for the better on the A7C and that has taken care of one of the major concerns that I had in the early time of evaluation and learning about the general everyday use of this camera body. I am more than happy with this.

Amazon delivery happened, I promptly put the new eyecup on and, yes, a significant improvement! Took the A7C out this afternoon and shot a bunch of different images and scenes, most of which I haven't yet taken time to process, but my overall impression so far is that yes, this is a truly dandy little camera! I really was pleased and surprised with how nicely the 70-200mm worked with her, too, as that was not something to which I had given much thought. Just out of curiosity I decided to take this particular combo out for our first exploration of the neighborhood and was really quite pleased. These two, the A7C and the surprisingly lightweight 70-200mm GM II work well together.

Last edited:
Update: Huge kudos to the third-party eyecup -- major thanks to whoever mentioned it on here or somewhere else, as it definitely makes a difference for me! This thing changes the initial handing and usability for the EVF viewing experience for the better on the A7C and that has taken care of one of the major concerns that I had in the early time of evaluation and learning about the general everyday use of this camera body. I am more than happy with this.

Amazon delivery happened, I promptly put the new eyecup on and, yes, a significant improvement! Took the A7C out this afternoon and shot a bunch of different images and scenes, most of which I haven't yet taken time to process, but my overall impression so far is that yes, this is a truly dandy little camera! I really was pleased and surprised with how nicely the 70-200mm worked with her, too, as that was not something to which I had given much thought. Just out of curiosity I decided to take this particular combo out for our first exploration of the neighborhood and was really quite pleased. These two, the A7C and the surprisingly lightweight 70-200mm GM II work well together.
Have just had a squint on Amazon, there are several versions available. Which type did you go for?

This week i bought a Tamron 24mm f/2,8 Di III OSD M1:2. I'm kind of a rookie in photographing, but wanted to try a wide fixed lens for some landscape photos :)

Back