What's going on?

Just click on the "New Posts" link when you log on and it will display everything you've missed.
Thanks Jeff, that's better than What's new.

The queen is your queen, your monarch. She and her family and what they do is none of my business. We have enough going on here, on the west side of the Atlantic. I only have to sweep the sidewalk in front of my home.

Back to the original thread, lack of participation. Complaining about that borders on "Floggings will continue until morale improves." Other boards have similar problems. The only board I have seen not with these problems is Gearslutz, now Gearspace, for recording and especially its Remote Recording sub-forum. Examining the problem of low response could be enlightening. Let's all give that some thought. Poke around some other boards and see what they are posting and what the results are. And do we all really need praise?

Probably guilty as charged Kev. 🤭

Examining the problem of low response could be enlightening. Let's all give that some thought. Poke around some other boards and see what they are posting and what the results are. And do we all really need praise?
This place doesn't have a low response problem at all. It is in fact very average. Here's the text from a post I made in a different forum when someone noted the same thing:

"You're used to Forum A with 16,000 members. This place is much smaller and moves more slowly.

16,000 members at Forum A and 61 online is .0038 participation. Using your numbers for here at Forum B, 2000 members and 7 active members is .0035 participation. Virtually the same."

So, what about here? 3100 members and about a dozen active users. 12/3100 = .0038. Eerily close, isn't it?

For more activity you'll need more members. This is pretty normal for any club or group. When the guy at that other forum complained, I said:

"Stop bitchin' and start postin'!" :LOL:

Yes, expectations are just premeditated resentments.

Well one thing is for sure. This thread has certainly increased participation :)

I have noticed that fewer and fewer people are commenting on, or even looking at my posts (and others) recently, and I have to wonder why? We have loads of members, many inactive, but even those who are active, aren't looking at others posts, or certainly not commenting. Now it might just be me, but I like people commenting and liking my shots, it encourages me to carry on, because otherwise, what is the pooint? I see this on Facebook groups, and thought this place might be free of that stupid culture. Clearly not it seems.
I just arrived on this forum, but this phenomenon is recurrent in several others that I participated. Those who do engage are always outnumbered, but that doesn't mean that your message isn't being read...

I just arrived on this forum, but this phenomenon is recurrent in several others that I participated. Those who do engage are always outnumbered, but that doesn't mean that your message isn't being read...
You are probably right as I certainly do my share of 'lurking'!

The old Pareto Principle. 20% of the people do 80% of the work and 80% of the people do 20% of the work, only worse. I am on another board where folks argue the better finish on their cameras for admiring them! Yes, true. Pitiful. They enjoy just looking at them. I guess you can wear it around your neck on vacation, too. But you won't need batteries as it is just a fashion accessory. Some folks buy cameras for crazy reasons.

The old Pareto Principle. 20% of the people do 80% of the work and 80% of the people do 20% of the work, only worse. I am on another board where folks argue the better finish on their cameras for admiring them! Yes, true. Pitiful. They enjoy just looking at them. I guess you can wear it around your neck on vacation, too. But you won't need batteries as it is just a fashion accessory. Some folks buy cameras for crazy reasons.
For fashion I have a Topcon and an Exakta camera.

Several years ago, I made sure to purchase a camera for every three lenses I had. Once I reached 21 lenses, I realized I better stop purchasing cameras and just get more lenses. 🤪🤪🤪

For fashion I have a Topcon and an Exakta camera.

Several years ago, I made sure to purchase a camera for every three lenses I had. Once I reached 21 lenses, I realized I better stop purchasing cameras and just get more lenses. 🤪🤪🤪
The old Kine Exacta was a great camera and IIRC the first 35mm SLR. I heavily coveted them, even the smaller Exa. Ihagee in Dresden. Zeiss lenses, East German, DDR, which was a real onus back then with the McCarthy hysteria. The Bessler Topcon was a great one, too. Also East German IIRC. They seemed to do a better job on 35mm cameras than the Soviets did. Cultural differences. However the early Soviet lenses were pretty good, usually old Zeiss designs and sometime Zeiss glass, the early ones. I've few Jupiters and like them.

The threads in the other board are not about display and they go one for pages and pages. It does reinforce Thorsten Veblen's principle of Conspicuous Consumption.

Last edited:
Back