Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
These are always fun threads. Let's see what you carry!

This is my beloved Tenba Solstice 10L sling. I love sling bags for walking around, they carry out of your way like a backpack but provide instant access without removing the bag. They also give you a safe way to change lenses without setting anything down.

I'll get into a mood sometimes and will carry a camera to work if I think I'll have time or if there will be opportunities. Because of the current run of fantastic fall colors, I've been bringing one most days. I've tried a couple of different setups from one lens to 8 or 9, and from a very small shoulder bag to a very large one. Since I've been enjoying the Minolta A-Mounts, this morning I decided to see what would fit comfortably in the Solstice. I was pretty surprised when the 500/8 AF Reflex slipped right in between the dividers that were already in place. Added to it are the 75-300 and the 28-135, three spare batteries, some caps, and other minor paraphernalia not pictured like cleaning tissues, etc. The kit is a lot lighter than expected and is versatile covering anything I could imagine. There's still some space if I wanted to add a prime, although that'd be all. Who says full frame can't be compact?

Sorry for the cellphone shots!

IMG_1509.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg

Dammit. Now I'll have to take some photos :D

That's a neat Bag

The question is Tim which bag, I feel sure most of us have bought way too much kit and way too many bags, well that is my excuse. So far I have not actually bought the perfect kit bag, anyway holiday kit bag is Gitzo century compact Sony a9 or a7iii Zeiss 24-70 always, either Sony 70-200 f4 or Sony 100-400 gm, second battery, artic butterfly and sensor loupe, peak design strap.

Aye @spudhead you're right about "which bag" I've got 3 😅
- Peak Design 6L Sling: this is my go-to. Usually I carry the A6400, Tamron 17-70mm, Sony 10-18mm, a small tabletop tripod, remote, spare batteries, and sometimes a small Rode shotgun mic.
- Peak Design 30L Everyday backpack V1: I've tried really hard to love this bag, I was swayed by YouTubers & influencers... but the fact remains that I regret this purchase. Only good thing I can say for this bag is I could fit my camera, ALL of my camera lenses, a tripod, laptop, and a drone in it if I wished.
- Nomatic 20L backpack (not the Peter McKinnon version): this is actually my wife's backpack, but I have appropriated it a few times. Its not designed for camera carry, but it is an excellent backpack. Thankfully my laptop, A6400, two lenses, a tripod, and some spare batteries all fit nicely in this bag.

Aye @spudhead you're right about "which bag" I've got 3 😅
- Peak Design 6L Sling: this is my go-to. Usually I carry the A6400, Tamron 17-70mm, Sony 10-18mm, a small tabletop tripod, remote, spare batteries, and sometimes a small Rode shotgun mic.
- Peak Design 30L Everyday backpack V1: I've tried really hard to love this bag, I was swayed by YouTubers & influencers... but the fact remains that I regret this purchase. Only good thing I can say for this bag is I could fit my camera, ALL of my camera lenses, a tripod, laptop, and a drone in it if I wished.
- Nomatic 20L backpack (not the Peter McKinnon version): this is actually my wife's backpack, but I have appropriated it a few times. Its not designed for camera carry, but it is an excellent backpack. Thankfully my laptop, A6400, two lenses, a tripod, and some spare batteries all fit nicely in this bag.
I wish I had only bought 3 bags Chris, have to hide the gear I have bought from the wife, it's not that she minds me buying, its more that she hates the stuff hanging around as she terms it

Peak Design sling, great everyday carry.
20210429_075234.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/39 sec
  • ISO 320

Yes, I have several. I try to keep my kit in one place and load the bag depending on the need, so many of my bags set empty until needed. The one exception is (are you ready @FowlersFreeTime?) my Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack V2. It is easily the best backpack I've ever owned. One of these days I am going to do some shots of what's in it, but I need a LARGE space to lay it all out! Fantastic bag, beats my Vanguard Alta Rise by a mile.

I've lost count of the bags that I have/had over the years and I've still got a few in a cupboard out of the wives sight.

I will have some time tomorrow evening to take a photo of what I use or at least one of my bags, as I found a little trick with my Vanguard shoulder bag that works like magic for my 200-600mm which I'd like to share. 🙂

Yes, I have several. I try to keep my kit in one place and load the bag depending on the need, so many of my bags set empty until needed. The one exception is (are you ready @FowlersFreeTime?) my Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack V2. It is easily the best backpack I've ever owned. One of these days I am going to do some shots of what's in it, but I need a LARGE space to lay it all out! Fantastic bag, beats my Vanguard Alta Rise by a mile.
Oh I agree, it holds a ton of gear!

I have issues with the bag, but I think those are just my own quirks. For example, I hate that it doesn't fit under an airline seat with ease, I find the padding inside to be supportive but not really cushioned, and it is also heavy, even when empty it still has a bit of heft.

So basically what I'm saying is I might have had a different opinion if I had bought the 20L instead.

Oh I agree, it holds a ton of gear!

I have issues with the bag, but I think those are just my own quirks. For example, I hate that it doesn't fit under an airline seat with ease, I find the padding inside to be supportive but not really cushioned, and it is also heavy, even when empty it still has a bit of heft.

So basically what I'm saying is I might have had a different opinion if I had bought the 20L instead.
I know a guy from a different forum that is a professional guide in Alaska. He uses a backpacking bag and puts multiple lenses in a single compartment with almost no padding. You really don't need that much. If there's enough to stop them from getting scratched up, good enough. You're right about the weight, but it's still a pound lighter than my Alta Rise.

I think the 20L is probably a better choice for you. I also think there were significant improvements on the V2 that you'd enjoy. I would miss the magnets that keep the shoulder straps snug to the backpack when I'm carrying it like a bag, for example

It admittedly took me a while to love the bag. I was ready to return it the next day, but I liked the features enough to give it a go. It took several configurations before I finally settled on where it's at. However, I had bought several bags from local stores in an attempt to find the perfect one. After bringing them home and trying to configure them to my needs, they all went back. I finally realized that there probably is no perfect bag.

I'm unsure how many bags I have. Most are ThinkTank. I have a ThinkTank Airport Advantage wheeled bag to take to a studio - holds one or two bodies and around 6 lenses. I have a bunch of ThinkTank Retrospective bags: I use the 5L when carrying two small or one medium lens with one body; a 6L for two medium lenses and one body; a 7L for three small to medium lenses and one body, a 20L for a bigger lens (70-200 II for example); a 30L for the 200-600; and multiple colours of the 20L at least; pretty sure I have a 10L somewhere, too. I think I have only one LowePro left, and it was an experiment that didn't work out.

Strongly recommend the Airport bag as a way to organise smaller lenses.

I only have 5 identical bags.

I have a crumpler shoulder bag for traveling and when not doing construction site visits, I usually have a phone, iPad, camera and at least two primes, as well as wipes, credit cards, door keys, blower and lens filters.

It’s heavy unless I strap the camera to my wrist which is where it usually stays.

At home, I’ve got a storage case packed with diced foam for all my Sony kit, and a suitcase packed with diced foam and a restricted number of lenses for overhead luggage.

I have my Moose Peterson Mindshift/ThinkTank bag, a few Mindshift sling bags, a Think Tank Retrospective, Think Tank Roller, a Tenba Roller, a couple of Pelicans, lighting is in LightWare and Tenba cases
I will try to take a picture of the Moose, it is a little different than most

The Clint do it all kit. Sony 16-35mm f4 PZ. Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GMII. Sony 70-200mm f4 Macro GII. Sony 200-600mm G. Sony 2x Teleconverter. 77mm and 82mm Kenko Celeste C-Pol. 82mm Kenko ND100. 72-77mm and 72-82mm stepper rings. Not a ghastly lens hood in sight..!

I have a Vanguard Veo 3+ tripod with panning head. A Three Legged Thing Punks Pati. And an Explorer GX Pro-K tripod. I'll take whichever one suits the application best on the day.

I alternate between my full sized bag, a Lowepro Flipside 400AW III. My lightweight landscape bag which is a Lowepro Flipside 200AW II. And my Vanguard Veo Flex 35m sling which the 200-600mm fits perfectly snug into the tripod compartment. ✅

View attachment 46643

Last edited by a moderator:
Back