When GAS pays off

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

RNO7552

Novice
Original poster
Followers
Following
Mar 15, 2021
Name
Robert Owen
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Merthyr Tydfil
Thought I would share this tale with you all.

Recently acquired the Tamron 17-70 which I part exed my 18-105 for.

At the time I really wanted the 16-55 but even with advanced GAS syndrome couldn’t bring myself to justify the cost.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and YouTube convinced me I should have got the 16-55 so I sent a part ex query to my Camera dealer. In fairness they got back to me and talked me out of it saying that I probably wouldn’t see a huge uplift and to give the Tamron a bit more time.

Whilst thanking him for his honesty I tossed in a remark that at least I could now use the money saved towards the Peak Design travel tripod when he said “funny you should say that, I’ve just today taken in my first ever one of those and it’s the Carbon Fibre in mint condition and I’m trying to work out a price as these very rarely seem to crop up second hand”

Needless to say it’s now on its way and at £420 against the rrp of £569 my GAS symptoms are in remission but who knows how long for!!

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
hahaha good for you Rob!
The camera store didn't steer you wrong, the Tammy gives you more reach and same aperture compared to the Sony 16-55, and as you said in your other thread, the often cited "softness at 70mm" was a non-issue.
I can't justify the expense for the carbon fibre Peak Design tripod, but my birthday is next month and I may ask for donations towards the aluminum version. So I'll be keen to hear your feedback on it once it arrives :)

G-FOTO.de

Novice
Followers
Following
Mar 9, 2021
Name
Guido
Country
Germany
City/State
Northrine-Westfalia
... the Peak Design travel tripod when he said “funny you should say that, I’ve just today taken in my first ever one of those and it’s the Carbon Fibre in mint condition and I’m trying to work out a price as these very rarely seem to crop up second hand”

Needless to say it’s now on its way and at £420 against the rrp of £569 my GAS symptoms are in remission but who knows how long for!!

I have a lot of very expensive gear, but I never could justify the purchase of the PD travel tripod.
Too much comprise, for too much money.

But nevertheless, I guess you did not buy it by chance.

RNO7552

Novice
Original poster
Followers
Following
Mar 15, 2021
Name
Robert Owen
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Merthyr Tydfil
But nevertheless, I guess you did not buy it by chance.
No, I have had my eye on this for quite a while.
I only have a need for a compact travel tripod and this has a much smaller form factor than my current tripod which is the Manfrotto Befree live.
Don’t think I’m making any compromise as it will meet my needs but fully agree with you that it’s very overpriced. Has I not got it for £149 less than the list price I probably would still be looking.

RNO7552

Novice
Original poster
Followers
Following
Mar 15, 2021
Name
Robert Owen
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Merthyr Tydfil
I strongly suggest you AVOID the Sony a1 advertisements at all costs! Since the recidivism rate is extremely high.
No worries there. My A6600 is less than a year old and I’ve spent the last 6 months of lockdown getting acquainted with it so the idea of starting over with a new camera doesn’t appeal.
Moreover it will take far more than a £6500 camera to improve my photography and the money will be better spent by being put towards a deposit for a house for my stepdaughter.

........................Exits stage left trying to convince himself that he meant all the above...............

Reactions: WeeMalky

RNO7552

Novice
Original poster
Followers
Following
Mar 15, 2021
Name
Robert Owen
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Merthyr Tydfil
hahaha good for you Rob!
The camera store didn't steer you wrong, the Tammy gives you more reach and same aperture compared to the Sony 16-55, and as you said in your other thread, the often cited "softness at 70mm" was a non-issue.
I can't justify the expense for the carbon fibre Peak Design tripod, but my birthday is next month and I may ask for donations towards the aluminum version. So I'll be keen to hear your feedback on it once it arrives :)
Hi Chris
Finally took delivery of the PD tripod, there was a bit of a delay as I had to ask the Camera store to delay delivery until after my wife went back to work following a weeks leave😂😂.
Have to say it’s an absolute gem, such a small profile and seems sturdy enough for my needs. Holds up to all the hype on YouTube and I think it’s one of my most pleasing purchases to date.
Whilst I got a great deal for a used carbon fibre I think I would have been equally pleased with the aluminium version, the main trade off being a slight increase in weight and although some reviews and PD themselves claim the carbon version is 20% sturdier, with my Sony Apsc set up I really don’t think it would have been a concern.
Saw your comments on your recent Tamron lens purchase on another thread - you should consider adding gear reviews to the cookery videos.
Cheers

Rob

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Thanks for letting me know Rob, I am definitely going to get that (aluminum) PD tripod before any significant new trips (local adventures might not quite be worth it, but international trips will be!).
As for the reviews, thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: RNO7552

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.