When you let someone take YOUR picture with your camera...

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Funny thing happened yesterday. I was taking pictures of my cousin's birthday, and another cousin said "why don't you let me use your camera to take a picture of you and your wife?"
So I'm thinking, why not, I am always behind the lens, not in front of it. So I give her the camera and tell her to have at it.
The camera was in aperture priority at f/2.0, set to burst mode. Cousin raves about how nice/fast the camera is etc etc...
I get back the camera with a dozen out of focus pictures of my wife and I :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I didn't want to embarrass her, so I just said "good job, thanks"

Do you ever let someone use your camera to take your photo? do you click it over to Auto mode and then hand it to them, or try to dial in the settings and then hand it over with some guidance? or just politely decline? 😅

Dial in the settings (including a much higher shutter speed than usually needed) and hope they don't hold the camera like a cell phone. The possible chance of a sharp image drops very quickly when held like a cell phone. I also put a strap on the camera and turn on sounds so that they can have that point and shoot camera operational sounds.

Another option I use, camera is on a tripod with a shutter release cable, manual focused with aperture small enough for zone focus. :)

The only correct answer to this is put it in Auto before you hand it over. Auto was created for just this reason. A nice, large, expensive P-n-S

One time only. I handed my Son my A7 III and had him shoot a squirrel out of the rear-side window of our car. At the time I was a "Back Button Focus" guy and I gave him a quick instruction and it turned out perfectly. If someone wanted to take my picture, that's a guaranteed fail!

I think I'd just give them my phone :)

To answer the question first: I would set the camera in "Auto" before letting someone who is not into photography and thus likely to be unfamiliar with it use it to shoot any photos. The thing is, though, I don't run into this situation because I have long since set firm boundaries.

I really don't like having my photo taken and regardless of that, in any case II absolutely would never hand over either my phone or my camera to some stranger. Even when a friend or family member makes the suggestion that they snap off a shot or two of me and someone else or me alone or whatever (they usually don't as they have learned better and they know me pretty well!), the answer is "no."

What IS it that makes some people so fascinated with shooting images of themselves over and over and thinking that others, too, want to have a bunch of photos of themselves? Is it being egotistical? Is it being so much in love with oneself and how one looks that frequent images of oneself must commemorate each and every occasion? I am curious, but also discomfited by it. Actually, this whole "selfie" thing really just leaves me cold.

Last edited:
One time only. I handed my Son my A7 III and had him shoot a squirrel out of the rear-side window of our car. At the time I was a "Back Button Focus" guy and I gave him a quick instruction and it turned out perfectly. If someone wanted to take my picture, that's a guaranteed fail!
Back Button Focus is so useful. I love it.

To answer the question first: I would set the camera in "Auto" before letting someone who is not into photography and thus likely to be unfamiliar with it use it to shoot any photos. The thing is, though, I don't run into this situation because I have long since set firm boundaries.

I really don't like having my photo taken and regardless of that, in any case II absolutely would never hand over either my phone or my camera to some stranger. Even when a friend or family member makes the suggestion that they snap off a shot or two of me and someone else or me alone or whatever (they usually don't as they have learned better and they know me pretty well!), the answer is "no."

What IS it that makes some people so fascinated with shooting images of themselves over and over and thinking that others, too, want to have a bunch of photos of themselves? Is it being egotistical? Is it being so much in love with oneself and how one looks that frequent images of oneself must commemorate each and every occasion? I am curious, but also discomforted by it. Actually, this whole "selfie" thing really just leaves me cold.
I don't think its ego-related mate, at least not the scenario I posted above. When I show up at a family reunion and am snapping pictures of everyone, I am not in any of the photos and some family members are considerate to ask me if I want to be in them. Its a case of poor execution but good intention, that's all.

No, Ego is when the only photos one takes are selfies, and then the only time other subjects are in frame are when one asks "come take a selfie with me". Now THAT is a laughable practice...

My thought is don't hand your camera to anyone who can out-run you.

The few photos of me that I like were taken by a photo phriend (we go to places together to take photos) - she used her camera (She uses mostly Sony, but some other brands, too).

I pass them my phone … wouldn’t trust any of my family or friends with my baby… 😂😂

If at any time I have let anyone use my camera for what you have said I change the setting's to full Auto mode.
I think this is the safest way to get something usable out of it and this got proven at a party recently.
Like you I am usually the one taking the photo's I got asked to do the same and Auto made save the day as all shot were good.

Back