Where is the 'in-camera guide' menu item in an a7m3?

grahamgorilla

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Graham SExton
Hi everyone, I was trying to set up a custom button on my new A7M3 to allow me to access the in-camera guide. The Sony instructions are pretty clear, but I can't locate the 'in-camera guide' in the items that can be mapped to a custom button. IN fact I can't locate the 'in-camera guide' anywhere within the menu system. I have the latest firmware on the camera. HAs anyone else tried to do this? Cheers Graham

Here you go, hope it helps:

In-Camera Guide​

The [In-Camera Guide] displays descriptions of MENU items, Fn (Function) items, and settings.
Assign the [In-Camera Guide] function to the desired key in advance using [
cE08C.png
Custom Key] or [
cE08B.png
Custom Key].
  1. MENU →
    s_menu_shoot2.png
    (Camera Settings2) → [
    cE08C.png
    Custom Key] or [
    cE08B.png
    Custom Key] → desired key, then assign the [In-Camera Guide] function to the key.
    • The [In-Camera Guide] function cannot be assigned to some keys.
  2. Select the MENU or Fn item of which you want to see descriptions, then press the button to which the [In-Camera Guide] function is assigned.

The descriptions of the item are displayed.

Thanks for your quick response Scotty. The instructions are clear, but I can't locate the [in-camera guide] function key to make the assignment. Any idea which page it might be on? Thanks Graham

Hope this helps....

1. Go to Camera Settings 2 / Custom Operation 1 (pages 8/9)
  2. You’ll see three Custom Key entries with different symbols (image, video and playback icons). Choose the first one (image icon) and press the Centre button.
  3. Once inside, you’ll see a list of all the customisable buttons available on the camera. The In-Camera Guide can only be assigned to Custom Buttons 1 to 4. Choose the one you prefer.
  4. There are no fewer than 23 pages of settings you can assign to this button. Go to 13/23 and choose In-Camera Guide. Once it is done, the camera goes back to the previous section.
  5. Press Menu to go back to the main menu page. Now you can highlight any of the settings, press the button you configured and a description should appear on the screen.

Thanks Scotty! Got it. I knew you could only assign the help to a limited set of keys, but didn'y know which ones. Also, I had expected the in-camera guide to at least be in the list greyed out, but its not even there if you select something other than Cuton Button 1 - 4. Thanks again!

Just wanted to add that I had contacted Sony Customer support to help resolve this issue. Scotty38 beat Sony to the answer, but Sony did respond very quickly too. Thanks to Mais at Sony (y)

Back