Which 35mm lens would you recommend?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

kay_and_photos

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kay
I'm looking for a lens for street photography, I need it to be light, f/2.8, with autofocus and I had thought about something pancake type for my Sony A7 IV. Something like the Samyang 35mm f/2.8 FE or the Sony ZEISS T* FE 35mm

Any other options?

Cheers,
Kay

I have the Sony 40mm f2.5 G. This is sensational for street shooting. The build quality is really quite something to see as well. 🌞

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sony f/1.8 35mm is pretty small and light.... I eventually bought the 1.4 GM but kept the lighter, smaller, less expensive lens as well.

I have seen a lot of positive feedback on the tiny 35mm f/2.8 - it is quite inconspicuou.

Solution
I was going to use 35mm, but found myself happier with the 28/2. Which is also dead cheap too.
In making the decision, I used a kit zoom at 28 and 35, as well as another camera at 24mm to find which FL was working for me.

Used zeiss 35/2.8s are cheap. The 35/1.8 seemed good for the fast AF, but a bit exxy really, and the others seemed too porky to me. As much as I am sure the 1.4 is awesome and all that, it costs about 2.5 normal lenses to me!

Sony a7iv here too. I'm in this rut now, like you. I like street photography and architecture. I have Sony 20mm G 1.8. Pretty nice inside and for context. Fun portraits if I am careful with deformation. I also have a cheap sony 24-240 zoom which can be sharp in the right circumstances, and a Sony 200-600 for reaching the uppermost gargoyles.

Now turning at night over the 35mm GM lens, and later the 85mm G 1.8, or instead, the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm GM 1.2.

For street, the 35mm is obvious and looking through the 35mm GM lens; the bokeh is too good to pass up compared to the Sony G1.8. A couple of steps forward, and I'm at 50mm, so I wouldn't buy that and the 50GM, but the 50GM is brill.

So, I'm leaning toward the 35mm GM 1.4 lens and 85mm G 1.8. I don't do a lot of portraits, but that could change. More usually architecture and street, and dabble in birds and sport. I do like the minimal simplicity and arty essence of architecture street details, from the 50mm focal length and the largest aperture will help secure good details in low light conditions, which is just about every building interior you have ever visited.

Such a dilemma.

Then up to the 135 GM if I ever get around to it, just to make the set relatively complete. Though a macro lens and a shift lens are not off the table.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back