which 50mm?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

cdd29

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
craig
So, considering a 50mm. Unfortunately the Sony 50/1.2 is out of budget. Looking at the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 and the Sig Art 50/1.4. Anyone have real world experience with either? Features and reviews of the Zeiss are appealing but it's a little on the high side. Like the reviews & cost of the Sig but it's a little dated. Thoughts?

So, considering a 50mm. Unfortunately the Sony 50/1.2 is out of budget. Looking at the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 and the Sig Art 50/1.4. Anyone have real world experience with either? Features and reviews of the Zeiss are appealing but it's a little on the high side. Like the reviews & cost of the Sig but it's a little dated. Thoughts?
I would give serious thought to the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA. The is a very sharp lens and may be on sale right now @ B&H. If you would like to see some images from this very fine lens, take a look at Mark Galer's 55mm Sony/Zeiss F18Z lens. I own one of these and it's a keeper.

Sounds like you are looking for a high quality image.

Here's a radical thought: if you are willing to consider a manual focus 50mm, the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO Lanthar is extremely sharp and accurate, with no chromatic aberration (that's why it's APO).

It also happens to be small and comparatively light (350g, or thereabouts), solid metal (even the lens hood is metal), and should last you a lifetime.

It does have electrical contacts, so it works in A mode (set the aperture on the lens, and the camera adjusts the exposure) and IBIS works perfectly. It also means that when you turn the focus ring the camera can zoom in and let you focus accurately on your subject.

I found it educational to use this lens - made me slow down and consider my shot. I have the 50GM as well, but this lens is still good to use when I'm not trying to capture something fast moving.

Hi, Craig if you are on a budget have a thought on the Samyang/Rokinon in the states AF45 1.8 check out this review from Dustin Abbott. I have one and it's fine

And another from Stefan Malloch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-2rep57zc

I've got an old Tamamur 50/1.4 that's a great lens I sometimes use, but my eyes aren't that great so manual focusing and getting is sharp is a real challenge. Found a Zeiss 50/1.4 for $900 at my local shop last weekend and almost bought it. The next day they took 10% off all used lenses. When I went to check it , it was sold. A little later a found a Sigma Art 50/1.4 at Adorama for $600. It arrived today.

Get yourself the 55mm f1.8 until you can save to upgrade to the 50 GM

I've got an old Tamamur 50/1.4 that's a great lens I sometimes use, but my eyes aren't that great so manual focusing and getting is sharp is a real challenge. Found a Zeiss 50/1.4 for $900 at my local shop last weekend and almost bought it. The next day they took 10% off all used lenses. When I went to check it , it was sold. A little later a found a Sigma Art 50/1.4 at Adorama for $600. It arrived today.
What do you think of the Sigma 50 Art?

I shoot the G 50mm 2.5 -- it's plenty sharp and plenty bright enough. Small, light, and fun to use. Focuses really close relative to other 50mms. These aspects were more important to me than a 1.8 aperture. I had the 1.8, no thanks -- too many compromises, even having only paid $80 for it used. I sold it for a bit of profit and bought the G.

I'm looking so seriously (and my wallet is not liking it) to the Voigtlander APO 50/2

The decision to pick one particular lens must be based on your personal shooting preferences.
I myself do not need AF for 99% of my shooting, based on landscape, and yes, IQ is a must.
Based on reliable reviews out there, it seems that the Voigtlander apo 50/2 is no doubt the very best lens in terms of IQ, by a large margin.
And now talking seriously, I do not find it to be expensive at all, given its quality, but I confess that 50mm is not the FL I use the most, so I'm holding my decision for a moment, letting my wallet to breath a little ;).
My current list of prime lenses includes 14GM, 35GM, 85 art DG DN, and 105 macro DG DN...
I'm considering filling the holes there with the following:

20G​
24 art DG DN​
Voigtlander apo 50/2​
Samyang 135/1,8​

I honestly feel that there is missing some really good prime lens on the 200-300 range.

As you can clearly see, I'm far to be a fanboy for any brand, just a IQ freak.

Based on reliable reviews out there, it seems that the Voigtlander apo 50/2 is no doubt the very best lens in terms of IQ, by a large margin.
Reading reviews is ok provided they include image samples. It doesn't matter what this graph or that graph shows, or how many people think it's a great lens, what matters are the results.

Outstanding results. Looking through the reviews of 50s on his website there isn't a bad shot in the bunch. He's clearly above average both behind the camera and in front of the screen. I did some poking around at other forums with dedicated threads for lens showcases. The samples are good , but like the review you posted there's nothing that makes it stand out above the others on a computer screen. I suspect this lens would really shine in large print.

Fred Miranda's review of the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 50mm f/2 is what persuaded me to buy one. It's a long read, but very detailed, and with comparison to the 55mm, among others.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/0?keyword=50mm,APO,Lanthar#15073395

I own the 50mm f/1.2 GM, which is a magnificent lens, and the one I use when I want autofocus, but I turn to the Voigtlander when I want a small, light, lens that makes me pause and compose my images.

I thought the same until I could not stand it’s CA anymore.
I'm so interested in knowing which 50mm lens with a FE mount can stand with better LoCA's than the VL 50/2... I would buy it immediately without hesitation.
Maybe LoCa is the lens feature that I'm concerned most, cause at the end, resolution and microcontrast depend directly from this parameter, besides of course, the obvious benefit to have a clean bokeh fringing.
I remind reading some shootout versus a $8000 Leica apo lens that resulted in a perfect draw among them.
This is a fair complete comparative among almost all the 50mm lens for FE mount.

50apoloca.jpg

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back