Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So if the rumors are true we should be seeing Sony unveil a new full-frame camera in an APS-C sized body next week. SAR has just posted a leaked photo.

Here are the rumored specs and crazy price:
  • Announcement Sept 15 at 2am London time
  • Similar Sony A7III specs with 24MP sensor
  • It has the same A7sIII fully articulating screen
  • autofocus algorithm is the one from the A7sIII
  • 4k30p
  • body shape similar to the A6600 with EVF in the corner (note: it’s NOT a pop-up EVF)
  • it has IBIS
  • The camera will be marketed for vloggers and youtubers
  • Battery is NP-FZ100,
  • USB is Type-C.
  • it has a single SD card slot
  • It has both a mic-in and a headphone jack
  • Wi-Fi (11a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth
  • price will be above A7III (2.100 Euro and 2399 Euro with kit lens)
  • Comes with a new collapsible 28-60mm f/4-5.6 lens
I guess we will have to wait till next week to find out how close these rumors are to the real product.

There must be a market out there for this otherwise Sony wouldn't have developed it, but are you interested in it? Vote in the poll above!

Last edited:
Can't see the poll Tim. But no. I find the APSC Sony bodies too small to comfortably hold.

• Admin
Can't see the poll Tim. But no. I find the APSC Sony bodies too small to comfortably hold.
That’s odd. You should be able to see it above the post. A couple of others have voted so it must be working unless it’s not showing on certain devices. Was this on mobile?

And by the miracle of the internet, it's now there!

Yep, no interest in that one. Odd mix of features in that package, for that price...

Now, I still wouldn't mind something in the a9 range with a little more resolution... I try to shoot to print, but there's nothing wrong with a little more crop-ability for the final image....

the price is a bit high for me, if i was going to fork over that kind of cash i should probably be looking at the 200-600 instead, but, i have to admit that a FF sensor in the A6x size body (approximately) is an attractive idea if the AF is good - I don't know if i have tiny hands or what, but i've always liked the A6x series's size/handling (infact, it is all i've owned)

of course, that would still leave me withn MC-11 and 150-600c, but with a FF and probably better AF than my a6500.. i dunno. :rubs chin:

Interested but not buying at that price the evf is less than desirable .6 x magnification and 2.3 mill dots should of at least been .78 x mag and 3.7 mill dots ill wait for mk2

of course, that would still leave me withn MC-11 and 150-600c, but with a FF and probably better AF than my a6500.. i dunno. :rubs chin:
Well, a great deal got me into a 200-600 instead so probably not, unless they offer some kind of amazing incentive that they have yet to announce.

Not very excited about the 7C. For the money I’d rather add an A7R3 to my kit. For $1,000 - sure. Any more than that it doesn’t really have anything I really need.

I think it's the kind of camera you've got to 'need' and as I imagine we all have a good Sony camera already it's not going to sell to us. Now if you want to get into Sony, then why not. It's going to get compared to the others and might sway some. The good news is they've not fiddled with the mount and us E Mounters can once again rest easy!

I think it's the kind of camera you've got to 'need' and as I imagine we all have a good Sony camera already it's not going to sell to us. Now if you want to get into Sony, then why not. It's going to get compared to the others and might sway some. The good news is they've not fiddled with the mount and us E Mounters can once again rest easy!
Maybe or second body when you need less bulk and more style.

I might consider the a7c as an upgrade to my a6400 after the initial price drop in January. I think it'll be a reasonable upgrade as I'm already used to the a6400 controls which are very similar to a7c and otherwise it's an upgrade in everything else. Not a Pro, so don't really care about redundancy.

As I work in a Sony photography dealer im looking forward to getting my hands on it as I use a A6000 at the moment

Form factor appeals as I like my A6500 for walking about and would mean I don't have two lens systems ie crop& full and would have the same battery as full-frame. Price does put you off though, think its a bit high

Form factor appeals as I like my A6500 for walking about and would mean I don't have two lens systems ie crop& full and would have the same battery as full-frame. Price does put you off though, think its a bit high
I think it definitely needs to come down a bit. It's currently £150 more than the a7III and it doesn't really offer anything new. If anything you lose out as you don't get dual sd cards and the max shutter speed is 1/4000 vs 1/8000 on the a7III. So you pay a premium for the smaller package with less features. Maybe the a7C II will be more interesting! :)

I'd love to see an A7IV with the same silver colorway options as the A7C as then I'd stop lusting after a FujiXT4 just purely based on aesthetics alone :)

So if the rumors are true we should be seeing Sony unveil a new full-frame camera in an APS-C sized body next week. SAR has just posted a leaked photo.

Here are the rumored specs and crazy price:
  • Announcement Sept 15 at 2am London time
  • Similar Sony A7III specs with 24MP sensor
  • It has the same A7sIII fully articulating screen
  • autofocus algorithm is the one from the A7sIII
  • 4k30p
  • body shape similar to the A6600 with EVF in the corner (note: it’s NOT a pop-up EVF)
  • it has IBIS
  • The camera will be marketed for vloggers and youtubers
  • Battery is NP-FZ100,
  • USB is Type-C.
  • it has a single SD card slot
  • It has both a mic-in and a headphone jack
  • Wi-Fi (11a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth
  • price will be above A7III (2.100 Euro and 2399 Euro with kit lens)
  • Comes with a new collapsible 28-60mm f/4-5.6 lens
I guess we will have to wait till next week to find out how close these rumors are to the real product.

There must be a market out there for this otherwise Sony wouldn't have developed it, but are you interested in it? Vote in the poll above!
I am interested.

Rationale: My hands were quite comfortable handling the smaller grips of the early Sony Alpha models. I am contemplating a long-distance hike and although I could justify using a smaller camera (such as the RX100VI), the ability to utilize a full-frame format = significantly more control during the post-processing stage.

Or it could be, I am experiencing another bout of G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) :D

I am interested.

Rationale: My hands were quite comfortable handling the smaller grips of the early Sony Alpha models. I am contemplating a long-distance hike and although I could justify using a smaller camera (such as the RX100VI), the ability to utilize a full-frame format = significantly more control during the post-processing stage.

Or it could be, I am experiencing another bout of G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) :D
i haven't had a full frame, so i can't speak to the gulf of flexibility there, but i do have the APSC bodies and have had a couple of the RX100's (including the 5) and - while they are INCREDIBLY portable, Ultimately, i elected for a larger sensor because i just want not happy with the photo quality. They are excellent photos, for a 1" sensor but ultimately are a 1" sensor and if you find yourself in less than optimal light conditions the quality goes down hill very quickly.

Just my humble opinion.

I think Sony should keep new camera bodies cheap or not to expensive because the real investment is in the lens. I'll be keeping my a7iii for at lease 4 to 5 years before upgrading.

I think Sony should keep new camera bodies cheap or not to expensive because the real investment is in the lens. I'll be keeping my a7iii for at lease 4 to 5 years before upgrading.
Although I have the A7RIV, I am hanging onto the A7RIII and haven't upgraded from the A9 to the A9II because I agree with your assessment. :D

I received my A7C with the kit lens yesterday. It is certainly not a replacement for the iv or A9 but it's a great camera I think. One of my bigger uses is backpacking. I've been carrying the A7rIV, 24-105 f/4 and 16-35 f/4. That's 66oz and consumes quite a bit of space in my bag. I'm going to now carry the A7C, the Voigtlander 15mm and the 24-60mm kit lens. That weighs in at 32oz. I'm not yet sold on the 24-60 as I've not got enough shots with it but it is sure compact and incredibly light.

I do find the smaller viewfinder on the A7c is taking some getting use to. I've had issues with the Finder/Monitor auto switch when the sun is right behind me on my right side. That is where the finder sensor is and this camera does not have a rubber hood. The sun was blinding the sensor for me yesterday and prevented the switch from happening.

I received my A7C with the kit lens yesterday. It is certainly not a replacement for the iv or A9 but it's a great camera I think. One of my bigger uses is backpacking. I've been carrying the A7rIV, 24-105 f/4 and 16-35 f/4. That's 66oz and consumes quite a bit of space in my bag. I'm going to now carry the A7C, the Voigtlander 15mm and the 24-60mm kit lens. That weighs in at 32oz. I'm not yet sold on the 24-60 as I've not got enough shots with it but it is sure compact and incredibly light.

I do find the smaller viewfinder on the A7c is taking some getting use to. I've had issues with the Finder/Monitor auto switch when the sun is right behind me on my right side. That is where the finder sensor is and this camera does not have a rubber hood. The sun was blinding the sensor for me yesterday and prevented the switch from happening.
Please provide updates as you gain more insight. I am also looking at the A7C for backpacking purposes. Thanks!

I dont quite understand the thinking behind this body and it does not appeal to me even as a travel camera.

So I’ve been carrying the new A7C with the kit lens the past week on a trip through Joshua Tree and Death Valley. During the day, I typically hike 3 to 6 hours and carry the A7C/kit along with my A7IV and a Voigtlander 15mm. For Sunset and Sunrise, I stake out a spot and pack heavier gear.

The A7C is a perfect complement to the r4 for me. I carry both on a peak design capture clip (one on each shoulder strap). For landscape, the15mm is a go-to for me in the desert. But it’s not always best for a shot. With the A7C ready to go, I can mount a separate lens and just snap the shot. Otherwise, I’m pulling off my pack and changing lenses (which I find I don’t do when hiking with others). The A7C is also a good backup body to have just in case.

As to features, I do find the smaller viewfinder a bit annoying. But it’s okay and a reasonable tradeoff given the size and weight benefits. I don’t miss the custom buttons as I don’t typically need more than one of those for landscape applications. I've programmed the Movie button for Focus Area changes.

The image quality of the kit lens is good. It’s a slow lens but I’m used to that for what I typically carry backpacking/hiking (I rarely pack something faster than f/4). I’ll take out my heavier/faster lenses when parked for sunrise/sunset.

Lastly, the A7C/kit lens is super easy on battery life lasting far longer than that on my A74. I think this likely is due to the kit lens requiring much less power for autofocus. Not a big deal unless you are going to be away from a power source for days. But if you are doing an extended backpack, the A7C would be all I'd carry and I'd take one less battery.

To each his/her own. But I’m happy I bought it. I could not bring myself to carry two camera bodies on a hike prior to owning the A7C. I've passed by other photographers backing triple the weight I'm carrying ... and not getting very far into the backcountry as a result.

And by the miracle of the internet, it's now there!
Kev, pls don't attribute fix to internet. We all know that your Saturday night activities rendered you so tired that your drooping top eyelids veiled the top portion of post where survey was displayed.

Back