Why doesn't my Sony 2X teleconverter for FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS lens fit my Sony Prime lenses?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Shooter41

Followers
Following
Name
Don Marler
I am shooting a Sony R7M4 camera body with three lenses I love. (1) a FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS telephoto lens (2) a Sony 80mm prime lens and (3) a Sony 135mm prime lens. I bought a Sony 2.0 teleconverter planning to use it on all three of my lenses, allowing me to shoot at a maximum of 400mm with the telephoto lens; at 160mm fixed lens and 270mm with the fixed lens, while losing two F stops of light by adding the teleconverter. I discovered the hard way that the 2X teleconverter fits the 70-200mm and works fine when I raise the ISO two stops, but will not fit the 80mm fixed prime lens or the 135mm fixed prime lens. Does Sony make a converter that will allow the 2X teleconverter to fit prime lenses or am I just out of luck using the 2X teleconverter on prime lenses? HELP! Shooter41

Being a Teleconverter owner myself, I know that the lens itself must be designed for the TC. The Sony TC's have a very limited use. For me, that's only one lens. Sorry Don.

Being a Teleconverter owner myself, I know that the lens itself must be designed for the TC. The Sony TC's have a very limited use. For me, that's only one lens. Sorry Don.
Dear Jeff A... Thank you for your helpful reply to my post. I went ahead this evening and took some test images of my big screen television using the 2X teleconverter on my Sony R7M4 with Sony 70-200mm zoom lens on board and got some pretty amazing results shooting at F2.8; 1/1000 second shutter speed; ISO 12,800 at 140mm in preparation for a shoot coming up at Botanica Gardens on 9-30-22. I am attaching my shot of one of Steve Harvey's contestants on his game show for your evaluation and suggestions. I wish we lived closer so that we could become photo buddies. I have great respect for your work that I have looked at on Alpha Shooters Forum. Shooter41 in Wichita, KS.

Attachments

• CONTESTANT ON STEVE HARVEY GAME SHOW WITH 2X TELECONBVERTER.jpg
    CONTESTANT ON STEVE HARVEY GAME SHOW WITH 2X TELECONBVERTER.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 34
most TC fits certain lenses and I do get them also to only work with specific ones. Try the 70200gm2, I really like the performance and quality. Not that they are as great compared to without 1, but I think it's acceptable if you are trying to have more reach or avoid spending, carrying and deciding on another lens. I would say people who prefer less gear or have trouble deciding should just get 1 to avoid decision on which lens to use on site! :)

most TC fits certain lenses and I do get them also to only work with specific ones. Try the 70200gm2, I really like the performance and quality. Not that they are as great compared to without 1, but I think it's acceptable if you are trying to have more reach or avoid spending, carrying and deciding on another lens. I would say people who prefer less gear or have trouble deciding should just get 1 to avoid decision on which lens to use on site! :)
Hey Malsam...Thanks for your helpful comments. I took test images with my 2x teleconverter on my 70-200mm telephoto last night and got excellent results, so I will use that setup until Sony comes out with a 2X teleconverter that fits my 85 and 135mm prime lenses. (A 2X teleconverter on my 85mm prime lens would turn it into a 170mm focal length, which would serve me well on indoor soccer games I have shot for 42 years.) Stay well my friend. Shooter41

Hey Malsam...Thanks for your helpful comments. I took test images with my 2x teleconverter on my 70-200mm telephoto last night and got excellent results, so I will use that setup until Sony comes out with a 2X teleconverter that fits my 85 and 135mm prime lenses. (A 2X teleconverter on my 85mm prime lens would turn it into a 170mm focal length, which would serve me well on indoor soccer games I have shot for 42 years.) Stay well my friend. Shooter41
It's extremely unlikely they ever will. TC's are typically set up for a specific group of lenses. Sometimes you can find an aftermarket TC, but Sony seems to play TC's close and not let others build them. The list of compatible lenses for both the 1.4 and 2 are:

FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II
FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS
FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS

A question: If you already have a 70-200/2.8, why would you want to put a TC on your 85?

I am shooting a Sony R7M4 camera body with three lenses I love. (1) a FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS telephoto lens (2) a Sony 80mm prime lens and (3) a Sony 135mm prime lens. I bought a Sony 2.0 teleconverter planning to use it on all three of my lenses, allowing me to shoot at a maximum of 400mm with the telephoto lens; at 160mm fixed lens and 270mm with the fixed lens, while losing two F stops of light by adding the teleconverter. I discovered the hard way that the 2X teleconverter fits the 70-200mm and works fine when I raise the ISO two stops, but will not fit the 80mm fixed prime lens or the 135mm fixed prime lens. Does Sony make a converter that will allow the 2X teleconverter to fit prime lenses or am I just out of luck using the 2X teleconverter on prime lenses? HELP! Shooter41
The Sony teleconverters have been designed to protrude into the lens, so the lens has to be designed to have room for that. Most don’t. Even the Sony 70-200 f/4 doesn’t.

I guess this design decision was made to produce better results with the long lenses that are the most common targets for teleconversion, like the 400mm f/2.8, 600mm f/2.8, and 200-600mm.

Sony has a list of lenses compatible with the totconverters on their website, but it is not very obvious. I think there should be a warning when you order a Sony teleconverter: “this is only compatible with a small number of lenses: have you checked your lenses will work?”

Other brands vary - some have teleconverters that work with most lenses - that’s why I think the warning is needed. But even with those brands, there are lenses which don’t work.

If you are too disappointed, perhaps you can return it?

Sony has a list of lenses compatible with the totconverters on their website, but it is not very obvious. I think there should be a warning when you order a Sony teleconverter: “this is only compatible with a small number of lenses: have you checked your lenses will work?”

The list in my post is from B&H listing. Both TC listings have this list.

It's extremely unlikely they ever will. TC's are typically set up for a specific group of lenses. Sometimes you can find an aftermarket TC, but Sony seems to play TC's close and not let others build them. The list of compatible lenses for both the 1.4 and 2 are:

FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS

A question: If you already have a 70-200/2.8, why would you want to put a TC on your 85?
Dear Spudhead...The answer to your question regarding my reason for wanting to put a teleconverter on my 85mm Sony prime lens, when I already own a 70-200mm Sony telephoto lens is, "I am 81 years old and my 70-200mm telephoto lens is extremely heavy and the extra weight makes it very difficult for me to hand hold it for two hours while photographing indoor soccer games in the middle of a crowd. My Sony 85mm prime lens is much smaller and weighs much less, allowing me to hand hold it the entire game and avoid kids bumping into it as much as they do the 70-200mm telephoto lens. (I realize it is very difficult to imagine what it will feel like when you reach 81 years of age and need to hand hold a big lens for two hours , when you are young.) Enjoy your youth, my friend!

Attachments

• DON MARLER FOR WEB .jpg
    DON MARLER FOR WEB .jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
Dear Spudhead...The answer to your question regarding my reason for wanting to put a teleconverter on my 85mm Sony prime lens, when I already own a 70-200mm Sony telephoto lens is, "I am 81 years old and my 70-200mm telephoto lens is extremely heavy and the extra weight makes it very difficult for me to hand hold it for two hours while photographing indoor soccer games in the middle of a crowd. My Sony 85mm prime lens is much smaller and weighs much less, allowing me to hand hold it the entire game and avoid kids bumping into it as much as they do the 70-200mm telephoto lens. (I realize it is very difficult to imagine what it will feel like when you reach 81 years of age and need to hand hold a big lens for two hours , when you are young.) Enjoy your youth, my friend!
That wasn't Spudhead, it was me.

I was on a shoot over the weekend and a guy was using a very heavy lens in a situation we all usually hand hold. He had a monopod and a gimble. I asked if he had the gimble because he was shooting video, and he told me the lens was just too heavy to handhold. The gimble offered the movement and flexibility he needed. Maybe that would be a solution.

The lack of third party TCs is probably the biggest downside of the various mirrorless systems over DSLRs. However I'm led to believe that it's because/achieved due to Sony not licencing the mount (body-side) - whether it's to prevent exactly this or block other bodies and/or accessories I don't know.

In my Canon DSLR days, my favourite was the Kenko 1.4x DGX as it worked on essentially any lens, had excellent image quality (very close to a Canon TC) and performed better than any Canon TC in terms of autofocus. Unlike the Canon TCs, they didn't protrude into the lens but still performed extremely well and so I'm not convinced that a TC doesn't need to protrude into the lens to be particularly good.

However the only lenses I've ever found them worth using on are long primes (my 400mm) and long macro lens (Sigma 150mm). With the macro lens it increases either magnification or working distance, and you typically stop down a fair bit anyway so IQ stays high - and a 1.4:1 210mm F/4 macro lens is pretty special.

I sometimes use Clear Image Zoom with my 85mm and 135mm GM lens. It yields 2x zoom. Try it out. It costs nothing.

FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS
FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS

Dear Brownie...Good question. Answer: I am 81 years old and recently had a heart attack and open-heart surgery to get a new valve in my heart. My doctor told me not to lift anything over 10 lbs. My 70-200 telephoto lens is noticably heavier and much longer than my 85mm Master lens. I am keenly aware now about lugging a heavy camera and lens around for two hours during an indoor soccer game. That has been my niche for the last 43 years. If I have the option of holding and carrying a smaller and lighter lens for two hours or avoid having to use a monopod, I will go for it now that I have medical limitations. Thanks for asking a good question. Shooter41

Attachments

• STEPHEN HAMERSKY AGAINST CLEVELAND CRUNCH ON 6-5-21.JPEG.jpg
    STEPHEN HAMERSKY AGAINST CLEVELAND CRUNCH ON 6-5-21.JPEG.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 31
Dear Brownie...Good question. Answer: I am 81 years old and recently had a heart attack and open-heart surgery to get a new valve in my heart. My doctor told me not to lift anything over 10 lbs. My 70-200 telephoto lens is noticably heavier and much longer than my 85mm Master lens. I am keenly aware now about lugging a heavy camera and lens around for two hours during an indoor soccer game. That has been my niche for the last 43 years. If I have the option of holding and carrying a smaller and lighter lens for two hours or avoid having to use a monopod, I will go for it now that I have medical limitations. Thanks for asking a good question. Shooter41
I have no idea what your financial situation is, but if you can, you should look into the 70-200/2.8 II. It is ridiculously light. The first time I held one I was very surprised.

One option you might consider is a 70-300mm lens. The Sony version is 800g, which is about 20% lighter than the 70-200mm GM II. The Tamron version (which lacks stabilisation) is around 500g, about half the weight of the 70-200 GM II. It is also rather cheaper than the Sony.

(I am currently looking into the 70-300mm lenses for a friend who has weight limitations, but not to the same extent as you)

The 70-300mm gives you about the reach you would get from a 1.4x on the 70-200mm, and weighs a lot less. That might help.

Something I did recently was to buy a Sony A7C with the intention of having it be my travel camera in the future.... It's definitely not quite as sophisticated as my A1 or A7R V but this little FF camera body still does amazingly well in the conditions under which I've used her so far. The first night I had the camera and was still figuring things out we had an unusually foggy night so I grabbed a longer lens which I needed for the scene I was intending to shoot, and was more than surprised at what a comfortable combination the A7C and the 70-200mm GM II make, even though I hadn't really thought about using that lens with that camera body, my attention earlier having been focused on my shorter primes and such.

The next day or so I went out with that combination to walk around the little lake where I live, and it was a pleasure to carry and also to use when I wanted to shoot something above my head such as emerging flower blossoms on a tree branch. I'm a small, petite woman who has recently turned 78, so situations which used to not be problematic are starting to make themselves known from time to time, especially when using photographic gear, which can be heavy. I have the 200-600mm lens, which is wonderful, but I can only use that one on a tripod. So far I can still hand-hold the 100-400mm in various situations, but I am aware that this might not be something I can do for too much longer.

The A7C and the 70-200mm GM II together are significantly lighter in weight than the combo I usually have carried, the A1 and the 100-400mm! Ah, yes, this new duo is a very nice pairing...... Another time I took the 70-200mm out with the A1 and again not only appreciated a weight difference but also that when I took a few shots of squirrels which were further away than I'd like and for which the 100-400mm would've been perfect, later when I sat down to edit images, the squirrels came out just fine as-is, but also I was able to crop a fair amount and still have really good results. I have not yet tried my 1.4x TC on it, as I haven't needed to do so and don't think I will. This 70-200mm GM II is a heckuva lens -- wow!

Bottom line for me is: the A7C and it, along with a couple of fast primes, will be perfect traveling companions.....AND also this little camera and the 70-200mm GM II will continue to be fun companions on my walks around my neighborhood as well! In the future as my age increases and my health status changes, I well may need to make further changes in how and what I shoot and with which gear.

Last edited:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back