Name
John Bergsing
Country
United States
City/State
Nashville, TN
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I shot this this past weekend at my first (and last) shootout type event. The format is simply not for me. I can't be creative with other photographers distracting the model. Anyway, I managed to get a few decent images and this was one of them. A7IV, Tamron 28-75, Westcott FJ400 into a Westcott 24" Beauty dish. Processed in LrC & Ps.

A7405076-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
What was the story there John? Other photographers there too?

At this particular moment, no. I had her to myself. However, there were like 15 photographers at the event. The format at this thing was that you might be working with a model and one or more other photographers just joins in. Felt like a piranha feeding frenzy to me. I simply can not work that way so I stood around a lot waiting to shoot with models while the other shooters were busy. One good thing came from it, though. I as able to network with a few models I hadn’t known in the past. So that was a good thing!

Definitely a nice shot. Even though I don't photograph people, if I did it sounds like a shootout like this would not be my cup of tea either.

Definitely a nice shot. Even though I don't photograph people, if I did it sounds like a shootout like this would not be my cup of tea either.
Thank you. Yeah, if I go again it'll to network mainly. That was a positive aspect of it.

At this particular moment, no. I had her to myself. However, there were like 15 photographers at the event. The format at this thing was that you might be working with a model and one or more other photographers just joins in. Felt like a piranha feeding frenzy to me. I simply can not work that way so I stood around a lot waiting to shoot with models while the other shooters were busy. One good thing came from it, though. I as able to network with a few models I hadn’t known in the past. So that was a good thing!
Thanks for talking about your experience. I was wondering what a shootout type of event could be. Sounds like it wouldn't be for me.

Also sounds like a swingers party... 😄

It might take some getting used to, but yes definitely mate I'd imagine it would be hard to get in your zone with all these distractions getting in your way. When you want to get creative you need to be able to be in your own mind...

These are typically put on as workshops to offer photographers who wouldn't normally have access to professional models a chance to shoot and get tips. Sometimes instruction is provided depending on the type of event. Not much different than a landscape class, or a photo walk, or one of those pro-guided photo safaris. It's expected that other photographers would be present when you sign up.

I used to get email from a photog instructor at a local college that would do location event classes. Outdoor models like the one John attended, architecture, landscape, etc. I never went to one, but his prices were always posted. Back then it was something like $40-50/person/event. Not a bad way to make some extra $ on a Saturday if you can get the attendance. Eventually the emails stopped, I always supposed he either cleaned up his list of non-respondents or attendance waned along with the public's lack of interest in photography.

These are typically put on as workshops to offer photographers who wouldn't normally have access to professional models a chance to shoot and get tips. Sometimes instruction is provided depending on the type of event. Not much different than a landscape class, or a photo walk, or one of those pro-guided photo safaris. It's expected that other photographers would be present when you sign up.

I used to get email from a photog instructor at a local college that would do location event classes. Outdoor models like the one John attended, architecture, landscape, etc. I never went to one, but his prices were always posted. Back then it was something like $40-50/person/event. Not a bad way to make some extra $ on a Saturday if you can get the attendance. Eventually the emails stopped, I always supposed he either cleaned up his list of non-respondents or attendance waned along with the public's lack of interest in photography.
Hey Tim,
Cast in this light, the situation seems less intrusive. I had forgotten I signed up for a monthly photo walk five months ago. It's organized by the retailer where I got my A7IV. I look forward to doing this at least once, but they've cancelled the event every month due to the weather. I'm a solitary sort when I walk, and I've gotten deep into that mindset when I carry a camera.
Thanks for the reset.

Well, I'll be nice. Let's just say none of these models were professionals. Just local girls who do it for whatever reason. And there was no fee. I only recognized one of the photographers as a pro. Most were hobbyists. Like I said, networked with a few people and managed to get a few decent images. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to group safaris over individual safari events.

As commercial offerings wherein all attendees need to be "serviced" particularily wherein all
of the group are 9 times out of 10 shooting(not literally) the same animal the individuality of
choice and/or positioning can not always be accomodated and hence options become limited.

In the past i have arranged my safaris as an individual with individual transport options into
the field and rivers with dedicated guides wherein personal choices and preferences can be
more easily satisfied as against a group setting.

Sounds like i would also not be too comfortable with a model shoot of the type you describe....

individual forays can obviously be more expensive but in theory the end product may be more
uniquely benefical to the individual eye.

Oh right, I thought you meant an event as in some event you were meant to be the photographer for. I see different macro and wildlife photography groups and such when I'm out and about, it's a hard pass for me. Even taking a looks at one another's photos for the day when I've had a chat with them a few times, all the training in the world ain't going to turn most of them into even average photographers. I'd rather not be surrounded by people who are going to leach my energy...

Oh right, I thought you meant an event as in some event you were meant to be the photographer for. I see different macro and wildlife photography groups and such when I'm out and about, it's a hard pass for me. Even taking a looks at one another's photos for the day when I've had a chat with them a few times, all the training in the world ain't going to turn most of them into even average photographers. I'd rather not be surrounded by people who are going to leach my energy...
Absolutely Clint,
it seems in life we are all either herd or solitary animals and this is especially the case in photography or similar activities. Yes you are right a solitary animal within a herd loses its energy either through feelings of flight, fight or utter personal frustration......I have been their more times than i care to recall and most were not positive experiences....... (y)

I don't think there's a black or white here. I have participated in photo walks and found that some participants will drag you down and others will inspire. When I shoot at the track I have the advantage of rubbing elbows with many who shoot for the magazines. I'll take that all day long. Plus, they're mostly a great group of people. Going out with a friend or small group of friends can be a lot of fun. Going out with a group of strangers can be taxing. It has far more to do with the specifics of the day than simply being with a group.

I don't think there's a black or white here. I have participated in photo walks and found that some participants will drag you down and others will inspire. When I shoot at the track I have the advantage of rubbing elbows with many who shoot for the magazines. I'll take that all day long. Plus, they're mostly a great group of people. Going out with a friend or small group of friends can be a lot of fun. Going out with a group of strangers can be taxing. It has far more to do with the specifics of the day than simply being with a group.

Of course each to their own. But I would rather just go out shooting with my missus, we're a good team... 🌞

Back