Yet another ExNikon user, sorry Nikon but its over.

Ross

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ross williamson
Country
Canada
Hi Everybody

Glad to be here the site looks great. I don't see any spammers which is why I leave most sites. Right, have placed order for used Sony A7Rii plus lens from that NY store, if you have never been go, but leave the CC at home, its like Christmas for adults. In the beginning it was OM10, FM2, RB67 then D100(Olympus 1.3Meg) D70, D90, D7000 which were OK, then I picked up are used Sony RX1 and I saw the light, have been shooting with it over the last few years, the 35mm lens F2 is great.

Looking forward to picking up some pointers. Always looking for that one great image, will just keep trying till the end.
I aim to please, sometimes I just aim.

Welcome and thanks for joining up here Ross, and congratulations on the new camera purchase! We try to keep the spammers out, so we moderate the first few posts of all new members. Once we know that you are a real genuine human being we will let you post without moderation :)

Welcome and thanks for joining up here Ross, and congratulations on the new camera purchase! We try to keep the spammers out, so we moderate the first few posts of all new members. Once we know that you are a real genuine human being we will let you post without moderation :)
It appears you are doing a good job, Tim!

I feel ya! N65QD, D90 & D7500... avoided switching as much as I could, but there was no denying Nikon was lagging with their tech, and in the end I just couldn't resist any longer, although with something more "entry level", an A6400. The difference is just HUGE! I expected big video gains (what's ironic, the D90 came before the famous 5DMkII, meaning Nikon were actually the first pioneering DSLR video, and are now waaaaaaaaaaaay below the competition in the area), but so many other things, even the sensor noise looks nice in these gadgets :ROFLMAO:, very organic-like.

Another ex-pat here from Nikon; nearly two years ago now I was ready to make a change in my photography journey and although I had a bunch of Nikon gear and had been using Nikon for many years, when it came to jumping into mirrorless, I realized that Nikon was behind everyone else and was dropping the ball in a lot of ways there. I wanted specific lenses right from the get-go and I wanted native lenses when I was ready to buy, not have to fiddle with an adapter which may or may not work successfully with my older lenses (which would have been the case in several situations), and I sure did not want to be staring at a "road map" of lenses which presumably would be offered by Nikon in the future.

I was already familiar with Sony, having used the RX100 series and the RX10 IV so knew that they put out quality products. By the time I had actually made up my mind and was ready to buy, Sony had just released the A7R IV and I traded in all my Nikon gear for that camera and the lenses that I most wanted, adding other lenses a little later as the fairly immediate need arose and then over time adding more lenses as both need and desire arose. I have never regretted this decision and while friends who still shoot Nikon are only now finally just getting their hands on the two macro lenses being offered after all this time and are still waiting for the long lenses to actually make an appearance I have been very happily shooting since November 2019 with my A7R IV and my wonderful macro lenses plus all of the other lenses which have enhanced my enjoyment of photography.....

Thanks for the welcome, don't like to sell my old Nikon gear but if not now they will soon be paper weights. How many of you has one or two many paper weights? One of my friend's is are Pro and boy what he can do with a camera. When I went digital he said not as good as film, then he went digital. then we move to mirrorless and again he says not has good as DSLR.

Nikon are well made cameras never had to send one to be fixed, if the image was there I would stay but its just not there. At the moment I don't think you can get better then Sony for the image. Now the one Sony I do have is very well built, I hope the A7Rii is as good never held one.

Were is Mr Fedex

Definitely it would be wise to sell or trade in your Nikon camera gear sooner rather than later before the used camera market is totally glutted with them as more and more people make the shift to mirrorless. Right now some Nikon people are still hanging on to their older lenses since they are OK with using the FTZ adapter while they wait for Nikon to cough up more native lenses, but in other cases people who are making a switch in systems altogether such as I did are unloading all of their Nikon gear in order to pay for their new stuff. Even so, one does take a bit of a financial hit but to me the switch was well, well worth it!

Definitely it would be wise to sell or trade in your Nikon camera gear sooner rather than later before the used camera market is totally glutted with them as more and more people make the shift to mirrorless. Right now some Nikon people are still hanging on to their older lenses since they are OK with using the FTZ adapter while they wait for Nikon to cough up more native lenses, but in other cases people who are making a switch in systems altogether such as I did are unloading all of their Nikon gear in order to pay for their new stuff. Even so, one does take a bit of a financial hit but to me the switch was well, well worth it!
This exactly, and it's really not easy to shift gear now at all, sadly. Nikon really have missed the boat with the move to Mirrorless.

Will be selling my old gear over the next few weeks. But before that need to pick up some film for the kids to shoot, one so they can say they shoot film and so they can see and hold a real photo.

I still holding on to my RB67 just cant sell, If you could pick just one camera to hold on to what would it be? If this is the wrong place for this sorry.

If I could pick only one camera to keep, well, of course it would be my A1! :D

Nice choice, plan on getting one when they come down in price and second hand, say about five years till then A7R ii will have to do. 📸

I'm still pinching myself that I actually went and bought one of these things!!!!

How did you find it?

I'm still pinching myself that I actually went and bought one of these things!!!!
Well, unless you stole it, be very proud and go forth and create great images.

I love, love, LOVE the A1 -- it is truly a superb camera! I am still tweaking settings here-and-there, still trying to up my own game to create images worthy of this wonderful tool..... Sometimes I hit the ball right out of the park, other times I find I still need to work on this or that technique / skill. All of my lenses love the new camera and are positively thriving on her -- there is a wonderful synchronicity going on where they bring out the best in each other.

I have shared some images in various places on the SA Forums, and there will definitely be more to come.....many more!

Ross, sorry, I forgot to answer the question! I waited months for one to finally become available in my local shop, as I did not want to order something this expensive from an online dealer.

Last edited:
I love, love, LOVE the A1 -- it is truly a superb camera! I am still tweaking settings here-and-there, still trying to up my own game to create images worthy of this wonderful tool..... Sometimes I hit the ball right out of the park, other times I find I still need to work on this or that technique / skill. All of my lenses love the new camera and are positively thriving on her -- there is a wonderful synchronicity going on where they bring out the best in each other.

I have shared some images in various places on the SA Forums, and there will definitely be more to come.....many more!

Ross, sorry, I forgot to answer the question! I waited months for one to finally become available in my local shop, as I did not want to order something this expensive from an online dealer.

I think you like the A1, to be honest I never really looked at the A1, one look at the price and I was off, will look out for some of your images.

You did answer the question, I from the UK not Canada that just were I am at the moment, in the UK when we say "how did you find it" what we we are saying is "what do you think of it"

Must be a UK thing will remember that in the future.

Since I am from the US but also have friends in the UK I realized that the question could be interpreted in two different ways so I answered in one way, then thought about it a bit and thought I should be more specific for my fellow Americans, especially since, yes, the meanings are different!

Right, now we've got that sorted! :D

Yes, the price of the A1 is really daunting and it did take me some time to really think things through, analyze the meaning of this kind of hit to my annual budget and such, and I certainly wasn't going to get myself into a situation where I couldn't afford to buy food to feed myself or to have enough funds to pay my monthly expenses! I decided that in the end that this was doable and although I could've made the financial hit a little less painful by trading in the A7R IV I just wasn't quite ready to do that and could think of how having both cameras could be beneficial at times. I am so happy that I did take the leap -- this camera is just outstanding, simply amazing. I love my A7R IV so much, too, and the two of them complement each other quite nicely.

I only just this evening finally got around to figuring out what the gallery thingy is all about and so I have now put a few images up there. In another forum to which I belong, the front page has a gallery but it is of posted photos nominated by members for inclusion and is handled by one of the admins or moderators, and for some reason I thought that this gallery was the same sort of thing but realized that no, it's not at all.....

Well the wait is over, camera drop off at three this afternoon, all is good. Now I placed the order for one used A7Rll, with condition at 8 and shutter count of about 12000, sold missed it, so they replace it after a few days with another one, condition at 9 and shutter count just over 10000. Same price, happy with that.

So opened this box with baited breath, never know buying second hand, first the body, not one single mark not even a finger print, condition I would put it at ten, we move on, in the box, all paper work, all cables and surprise surprise not one one but two batteries. (y)

The big one now the shutter count of only and still can believe it, only 265. Well its not 265 any more...

Congratulations!!!! Wow, it sounds as though you got a really good deal there, especially with that low shutter count -- whoever the previous owner was must've just used the camera a few times and then put it away. You've lucked out there!

Just so you know, the A7RII came new with two batteries - I guess that was Sony’s admission that the FW50 did have a great capacity. If/when you step up, the FZ100 batteries hold a lot more juice.

The A7RII was my first Sony, too, coming from a Nikon D810 and a Canon 5Ds. The 5Ds was a lot more paperweight than the D810. One dealer had the cheek to suggest that he’d have to charge me to put the 5Ds on his shelf!

I just realised: I went from the 50 Mpixel 5Ds (2015) to a 50 Mpixel A1 (2021). One or two differences between the two, though. OK, OK, the only thing they have in common is sensor size and pixel count! Oh, and humorously, flash sync speed: the 5Ds could do 1/200, and so can the A1 (although the A1 can do it with electronic shutter, silently).

Back