Followers
Following
Name
Jim R
Country
United States
City/State
Cowlitz co, WA
Sony could be rather disruptive with a combo E-mount body + 4/3 sensor. Since Oly/OM and Pana seem to be dealing in larger bodies nowadays, small-body fans in the µ43 community are a bit distressed. By using the E mount Sony would be free of the protocols of µ43, but as the crafter of those sensors they could make small cameras and fill a quickly-vacating slot. Current µ43 users with a load of lenses would not convert - but that isn't everyone on that platform by a long shot. (pun?)

I prefer the 4:3 ratio over 3:2 for my images, and it isn't available in my limited price range on older Sony bodies. I still have my eM1 for plenty of work and other non-Sony features, and my wife's pink GF9 for small kit/large reward opportunities.

Yes the E mount lenses would be larger than current µ43 designs, but not hugely so in many cases.
Sony is pretty close to smallest kit in any case with the aps-C bodies relative to OM-1 and G9 -- so it's not a real need from them. Just a thought.

I can't see Sony entering the 4/3 market. I do think they should release a stacked APSC sensor camera but in the same body as the A9III. I think if they made it about 32MP it would sell very well depending on price.

I think they'll stick with FF and aps-c for a long time yet. And if they ever add to that, it is more likely to be in the direction of larger format cameras. At least, for their ILCs.

Back