Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sigma has announced an updated 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN II lens for Sony E-mount and L-mount.

The lens will be available from the end of May at a recommended price of $1,199 in the US or £1,179 in the UK. So that's about $1,100 cheaper than Sony's FE 24-70 F2.8 GM II lens.

Here are a few early reviews:

Gerald Undone

Dustin Abbott

Arthur R

They are going to sell a TON of these lenses. Looks very good.
Also, that was a cool CGI effect in Sigma's video to compare the old and new lenses, feature by feature, side by side.

I don't know if it's because of this but sony's 24-70 gm just dropped to 700€ in Amazon (from 2000€). o_O
must be the first generation that is getting discounted

must be the first generation that is getting discounted
I was speaking to someone recently who thought he got a huge bargain on the very popular 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II. I asked if it might be the version 1. He checked. Went back and returned it. Ended up buying the G II, because that was the price he could afford. The G II is a fine lens - I think he's going to enjoy it.

I use Sigma 24-70 DG DN Mark 1. I've looked at almost all the reviews on YouTube and switching to this new Mark 2 lens doesn't seem like it would be worth the price difference.

In other words, there does not seem to be much difference in sharpness and corner performance between the Sigma 24-70 Mark 1 and the Sigma 24-70 Mark 2. Rather, the contrast performance is better and there is extra 1 button and aperture ring on the DG DN Mark2, just like the Sony 24-70 GM2.

But Sigma; is still behind Sony 24-70 GM2. However, the 24-70 DG DN Mark 1 was much better than the Sony 24-70 GM1. It felt like Sigma couldn't quite equalize the GM2.

Frankly, I haven't decided whether I should switch to this or not.

I use Sigma 24-70 DG DN Mark 1. I've looked at almost all the reviews on YouTube and switching to this new Mark 2 lens doesn't seem like it would be worth the price difference.

In other words, there does not seem to be much difference in sharpness and corner performance between the Sigma 24-70 Mark 1 and the Sigma 24-70 Mark 2. Rather, the contrast performance is better and there is extra 1 button and aperture ring on the DG DN Mark2, just like the Sony 24-70 GM2.

But Sigma; is still behind Sony 24-70 GM2. However, the 24-70 DG DN Mark 1 was much better than the Sony 24-70 GM1. It felt like Sigma couldn't quite equalize the GM2.

Frankly, I haven't decided whether I should switch to this or not.
Good points!
Do you think that they should have sacrificed the additional button to keep the layout simpler and price lower?

I for one would love to own it as I need a lens for this sort of stuff as the 600mm as good as it is has it limits and this will fill the gap.
So it it time to do some talking with the financial manager of the house (the wife). So I will not hold my breath.
But I want it all the same. Thanks for showing this as it has saved me a lot of research.

The time is not yet ripe for me to be buying such a lens, but it should be in a few months. When it comes... have to see what offers might be available on the Sony GMII, but I can only think that, financially, the Sigma is going to be the sensible option.

Back