Followers
Following
Name
Matt Gordon
Country
United States
City/State
Murrieta, CA
There is a large, very large decaying Oak Tree about 6 minute walk from my home…I’ve been stalking (in a good way) this Great Horned Owl family for several months from the nest to the wide open spaces (in fact these Owls motivated my purchase of my Sony 70-350 OSS…WHOO’S laughing now, huh?)
ADCF5067-4E11-4C9A-8FF3-D068D1D090C3.jpeg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 2000
915E2921-AD8F-4703-9C58-1500B3192AF7.jpeg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 2500

Last edited:
Very cool. These are much like our Tawny Owl, in that they are often seen in daylight perched like this.

I'm not a Bird photographer, but the owl is an interesting species. The owl seems to have facial expressions (I know they don't really, but look that way). I don't believe I have ever seen an owl in the wild. Are there any secrets to spotting them?

Owls are some of the badest-assed Raptors in the skies…they are built for silent flight hunting and with vision thats amazing. The more I learn about them, the more interesting they are to me. Those eyes…they are so expressive and piercing. Beautifiul creatures IMO.

This particular family of them are QUITE hard to spot in the particular tree they inhabit…if I hadnt been stalking them for now several months, I could pass the tree without ever seeing them…but knowing they’re there makes it a bit easier to see them. That said, I’ve come to carry a small spotting scope (From Cabela’s…Oculous brand) to survey the nooks and crannies and take a “bead” on them prior to powering up my camera. They generally dont budge much until they take flight, they’d just as soon have a stare-off with you provided you aren’t a perceived danger and keep your distance, etc.

I’m having a great time watching and shooting them…I don’t live in a particularly rural area BTW…a subdivision with almost 2000 homes and surrounded by plenty of civilizationand all that entails.

Owls are some of the badest-assed Raptors in the skies…they are built for silent flight hunting and with vision thats amazing. The more I learn about them, the more interesting they are to me. Those eyes…they are so expressive and piercing. Beautifiul creatures IMO.

This particular family of them are QUITE hard to spot in the particular tree they inhabit…if I hadnt been stalking them for now several months, I could pass the tree without ever seeing them…but knowing they’re there makes it a bit easier to see them. That said, I’ve come to carry a small spotting scope (From Cabela’s…Oculous brand) to survey the nooks and crannies and take a “bead” on them prior to powering up my camera. They generally dont budge much until they take flight, they’d just as soon have a stare-off with you provided you aren’t a perceived danger and keep your distance, etc.

I’m having a great time watching and shooting them…I don’t live in a particularly rural area BTW…a subdivision with almost 2000 homes and surrounded by plenty of civilization and all that entails.
Thank you for saying what I couldn't communicate. The eyes are expressive and piercing.