Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Nelson's Column at night

evacguy

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
london_traf_square_nelson_hdr-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 86.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 16000

Ed, you got that night photography working for you!

Ed, you got that night photography working for you!
Thanks Tim, it’s interesting photographing familiar places at night, they take on a very different vibe. Also interesting in post.

What are you using for NR?

One of my biggest concerns about moving away from the A7 IV is losing the low light capabilities. Sony really did hit a home run with it.

What are you using for NR?

One of my biggest concerns about moving away from the A7 IV is losing the low light capabilities. Sony really did hit a home run with it.
There is a reasonable amount of noise in the night or low light images. I’m using LrC AI Denoise. It does a great job, you just need to be careful not to over apply the algorithm.

Astonishing picture.

Italy is not the only place with Lions on the loose!
london_traf_square_lion_bw-9.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 127.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 5000

Last edited:
Very regal; very striking. Nice background. Lovely pic!

I haven't been in T. Square for ages, but aren't the plinths quite high? Did you use telescopic legs? :unsure:

Very regal; very striking. Nice background. Lovely pic!

I haven't been in T. Square for ages, but aren't the plinths quite high? Did you use telescopic legs? :unsure:
Thanks Thad. They are not that high, but I stood on the edge of the fountain and I've cropped into the photograph, fully framed image is below.
london_traf_square_lion_bw-8.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 127.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 5000

I was at the National Portrait Gallery on Saturday. Not a chance I would be able to take a photo like that, details are incredible considering the conditions.
Thanks Mario, the A7iv does a great job in low light and Lr is great for post processing. Did you take any photographs?

Not much that I am proud of :)
I am a beginner but very keen to learn.

Here is one standing on the bridge right next to London Eye, I like the light reflecting on water.
I picked the wrong night, it was quite windy so keeping it steady was a challenge.

I am using CaptureOne Pro, bought when I bought my camera, it came at discount.

Attachments

• Embankment.jpg
    Embankment.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 25

Here is one standing on the bridge right next to London Eye, I like the light reflecting on water.
I picked the wrong night, it was quite windy so keeping it steady was a challenge.

That's pretty good, the light reflections on the water really nice. You possibly could do a little more post processing, perhaps on the sky and water to make it pop a bit more. I'm also quite new at all of this, I only joined the group in Jan this year, and I'd only started photograph a few months before that. We are all learning, the key thing is to keep at it and try different things, both in taking the photographs and in post.

It's a nice pic! And the wind may have made life a bit uncomfortable, but it also gave you all that lovely texture on the water :)

My most fun and rewarding projects were night shoots. I hope to do more.

New in Marketplace

Back