Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

200-600 IQ affected by lens hood?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

jav_eee

Followers
Following
Name
Javier
Hope I don’t cause a ruckus but I’m wondering if anyone has noticed different (worse) image quality using the lens hood.

I’ll be trying to photograph the next SpaceX launch and I’ll already have distance and atmospheric haze working against me. Don’t want to add another possible hinderance.

I chose the wrong spot to set up. Apparently there were other areas that weren’t affected by fog and clouds. This is the one good shot I got with my 200-600, LENS HOOD ON, and 1.4x teleconverter (bought 2 days ago for this occasion and I’m actually impressed by it)

Dehaze to 1000 on Lightroom because of the atmosphere but I think it still came out kind of neat! Not bad for being 6 miles away as the crow flies. Unfortunately no shots of the explosion. And yes I see the sensor dust haha

Attachments

• JJM01382.jpeg
    JJM01382.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 39
Probably need to cheer regardless of outcome given who their boss is.

Also I was wrong it didn't go boom it was a "rapid unscheduled disassembly"
Turns out that's actually a thing. I suspected at the time they blew it up on purpose because it was tumbling and pointing all over the place. If separation and ignition of the second stage had occurred when it was pointing down, it could've bored into a city. Thus, 'rapid unscheduled disassembly'!
I chose the wrong spot to set up. Apparently there were other areas that weren’t affected by fog and clouds. This is the one good shot I got with my 200-600, LENS HOOD ON, and 1.4x teleconverter (bought 2 days ago for this occasion and I’m actually impressed by it)

Dehaze to 1000 on Lightroom because of the atmosphere but I think it still came out kind of neat! Not bad for being 6 miles away as the crow flies. Unfortunately no shots of the explosion. And yes I see the sensor dust haha
Well, you got a shot anyway. I have to be honest, if I knew I'd be 6 miles away I wouldn't have even gone. Kudos to you for giving it a shot!

Last edited:
It was one of those higher “architect“ type chairs, and I was just trying to sit on it - not stand on it, if that was your impression. Just takes a bit of a bounce to get up onto. I have decided not to use one like that again in a studio!

Must have been a pretty awful feeling when you realised you were going down with camera in hand, especially with almost 3kg there!

Just be sure to keep that lens hood on hey! Guess I will just have to stay away from those chairs...
Oddly enough, (and you're going to LOVE this...)

I was going out to shoot birds in the winter, taking by lens from a warm house out to a cold garage, so I followed the advice in the video and didn't use it.

Ok, go ahead...gloat...

Oddly enough, (and you're going to LOVE this...)

I was going out to shoot birds in the winter, taking by lens from a warm house out to a cold garage, so I followed the advice in the video and didn't use it.

Ok, go ahead...gloat...

You're getting better. ✅

On another note. I recently done my own full comprehensive scientific research/study on cleaning the sensor. I was using the VSGO sensor cleaner, it came last...

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out that's actually a thing. I suspected at the time they blew it up on purpose because it was tumbling and pointing all over the place. If separation and ignition of the second stage had occurred when it was pointing down, it could've bored into a city. Thus, 'rapid unscheduled disassembly'!

Well, you got a shot anyway. I have to be honest, if I knew I'd be 6 miles away I wouldn't have even gone. Kudos to you for giving it a shot!

Well that’s about as close as you can get. As big as that thing was the view was actually not bad at all. Condos nearby had their windows shaking. The noise was awesome. Again, even being 6 miles away you could see it really clear (on Monday anyway). Today’s fog made it a little harder to see but it was still visible.

Must have been a pretty awful feeling when you realised you were going down with camera in hand, especially with almost 3kg there!

Absolutely - felt like it was happening in slow motion. Might have been over 3kg with the large flash trigger in the hotshoe. Was not thinking of hurting myself - just the camera.

I had spare gear with me - I had brought three bodies and seven lenses with me. Even had a backup flash trigger (a simple one, but functional). But it’s automatic to try to save the camera in hand.

Occupational hazard back in the ‘80’s when we still used drawing boards. These days I sketch on my iPad at the coffee shop.

The draftiing stool was a traditional thing, but those of us who where pretty fly, used something like this:

View attachment 36955

I used to own a kneeling chair like that, but mine didn’t have wheels - that one looks kinda cool!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

New in Marketplace

Back