200-600 slow focus (are fast lenses better?)

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
While I love the sharpness and reach of my Sony FE 200-600 lens, the focus is problematic at times. I have two specific, recurring issues.
1) If I am going from far focus to very near, it will lock up and not move at all unless I focus on a large piece of ground that essentially fills the frame. If I go straight to a nearby bird on a branch, even with the focus mode set to spot and the focus directly on the bird, the lens will not move at all because it doesn't know what to look for. (My Nikon D850 will grab it instantly, though I am using an f2.8 lens with it).
2) If I am trying to focus on a bird (or something else) behind a lot of cluttered branches, it won't grab it but grabs the branches instead. (Again my D850 in focus spot can lock on wherever I put the spot). I am using medium spot mode; maybe if I go to fine spot it will be better?

My question is, do f2.8 and f4 Sony lenses perform better in this regard (for those who have used both)? Or maybe pro bodies work better? I am using an A74. I am definitely missing shots (thankfully I haven't seen anything that I can't live without like a wild mountain lion). Just wondering if people have experience with this lens and with faster lenses.

While I love the sharpness and reach of my Sony FE 200-600 lens, the focus is problematic at times. I have two specific, recurring issues.
1) If I am going from far focus to very near, it will lock up and not move at all unless I focus on a large piece of ground that essentially fills the frame. If I go straight to a nearby bird on a branch, even with the focus mode set to spot and the focus directly on the bird, the lens will not move at all because it doesn't know what to look for. (My Nikon D850 will grab it instantly, though I am using an f2.8 lens with it).
2) If I am trying to focus on a bird (or something else) behind a lot of cluttered branches, it won't grab it but grabs the branches instead. (Again my D850 in focus spot can lock on wherever I put the spot). I am using medium spot mode; maybe if I go to fine spot it will be better?

My question is, do f2.8 and f4 Sony lenses perform better in this regard (for those who have used both)? Or maybe pro bodies work better? I am using an A74. I am definitely missing shots (thankfully I haven't seen anything that I can't live without like a wild mountain lion). Just wondering if people have experience with this lens and with faster lenses.
I don't have a 200-600, but when I ran into similar issues with other lenses on my A7IV, I used a custom key setting to activate DMF (Direct Manual Focus) to override the autofocus. See this video for info on how to set it up. Note: the menu system shown is older than on the A7IV, but I found most of the settings discussed on menu 25/52

I would say the main issue is the focus point. Try using single centre instead. I use 3 modes only now, and have disabled all others, those are Single Centre for 95% of my shooting, Centre with tracking for large birds in flight at mid distance (where manually tracking is trickier) and Zone with tracking for closer and smaller flying birds.
All of the others will hunt around looking for something to focus on, and this causes issues.
Another thing is to look at the locked on sensitivity, I set mine at 3 to 5. 1 is useful for dragonflies though.
To answer the question of whether the primes are better. Maybe. They gather more light, which will always help the AF system, but of you are shooting one of the varying focus points the issue will remain, or be worse.

1. I have been using the 200-600 since it was released on an A7Riv and A1 and I cannot say that I have ever experienced what you are saying.
2. I find that occasionally the focusing on the spot will grab a branch/leaf/something that is within or touching the edge of the focus spot rather than the object that makes up the majority of the focus spot. Obviously the use of the small spot will reduce this but I have had this issue with other brands as well.

The 70-200GM ii, 400GM, 600GM and 100-400GM all will focus faster than the 200-600G.

I assume what you mean by "Pro body" is something with a battery grip which in the world of Sony has not impact on focus speed or frame rate. If you are asking if the A1 or A9/ii focus faster than the A7x, they do.

I would say the main issue is the focus point. Try using single centre instead. I use 3 modes only now, and have disabled all others, those are Single Centre for 95% of my shooting, Centre with tracking for large birds in flight at mid distance (where manually tracking is trickier) and Zone with tracking for closer and smaller flying birds.
All of the others will hunt around looking for something to focus on, and this causes issues.
Another thing is to look at the locked on sensitivity, I set mine at 3 to 5. 1 is useful for dragonflies though.
To answer the question of whether the primes are better. Maybe. They gather more light, which will always help the AF system, but of you are shooting one of the varying focus points the issue will remain, or be worse.
I am using single center focus point.

1. I have been using the 200-600 since it was released on an A7Riv and A1 and I cannot say that I have ever experienced what you are saying.
2. I find that occasionally the focusing on the spot will grab a branch/leaf/something that is within or touching the edge of the focus spot rather than the object that makes up the majority of the focus spot. Obviously the use of the small spot will reduce this but I have had this issue with other brands as well.

The 70-200GM ii, 400GM, 600GM and 100-400GM all will focus faster than the 200-600G.

I assume what you mean by "Pro body" is something with a battery grip which in the world of Sony has not impact on focus speed or frame rate. If you are asking if the A1 or A9/ii focus faster than the A7x, they do.
Yes, I mean A9 series or A1 series, instead of the A74 I use.

I don't think the question has anything to do with speed, it has to do with the camera's ability to pick out what he's trying to take a photo of. Discerning the difference between a branch and a bird. The A7IV has superior bird-eye focus recognition, but the A9 can calculate focus 3X faster.

However, in partial answer to the question: I just went out and played with a 6.3 lens. Camera was set up ISO-100 and 1/1000. It would hunt back and forth in the available light and never really find anything to focus on. Changed the ISO to 200, and the lens immediately locked on the exact same target. So, 'brightening the light' by one stop made the difference. If that sounds like what you're asking, you can run the same experiment. Increase the light by a stop on your 200-600 and see what happens.

I am using single center focus point.
Sorry, I misread thinking you were using expanding spot. I will sometimes find my lens refusing to refocus when I move it, it's not uncommon, and it is annoying, It's not as annoying as the stupid viewfinder eye sensor :D

Sorry, I misread thinking you were using expanding spot. I will sometimes find my lens refusing to refocus when I move it, it's not uncommon, and it is annoying, It's not as annoying as the stupid viewfinder eye sensor :D
Have you ever tried the prefocus with eye feature? The camera starts to focus as soon as you put it near your eye. I tried it once and it creeped me out! Might be cool for some things, like an air show, but I would REALLY need to get used to it.

I’m using that lens on a A9ii and have never experienced any problem. I’ve never tried it on my A7riii so must try it sometime.

The 200-600mm is fairly good it can hunt more in dark conditions due to less light gathering ,i do not see f2.8 lenses being any quicker ,i purchased the mk2 70-200mm and sold the mk1 ,which was supposedly slower i never really noticed any difference in acquisition of subject between these or the 200-600mm ,they may hold subject better once acquired and allow you to zoom in and out whilst maintaining focus on moving subjects the mk2 70-200mm is very good in this regard ,and they perhaps have a better accuracy ,maybe the latest sony a7r5 will give better results for obtaining subjects its ai processor will recognise subjects way better than previous models ,but then in normal centre it should be near identical across the sony cameras ,i think the cameras are quicker in c-af as opposed to single af also for acquisition but that could just be me.

not sure but in s-af the sonys use contrast detect also ?

Last edited:
Have you ever tried the prefocus with eye feature? The camera starts to focus as soon as you put it near your eye. I tried it once and it creeped me out! Might be cool for some things, like an air show, but I would REALLY need to get used to it.
No. What is this sorcery of which you speak!

The 200-600mm is fairly good it can hunt more in dark conditions due to less light gathering ,i do not see f2.8 lenses being any quicker ,i purchased the mk2 70-200mm and sold the mk1 ,which was supposedly slower i never really noticed any difference in acquisition of subject between these or the 200-600mm ,they may hold subject better once acquired and allow you to zoom in and out whilst maintaining focus on moving subjects the mk2 70-200mm is very good in this regard ,and they perhaps have a better accuracy ,maybe the latest sony a7r5 will give better results for obtaining subjects its ai processor will recognise subjects way better than previous models ,but then in normal centre it should be near identical across the sony cameras ,i think the cameras are quicker in c-af as opposed to single af also for acquisition but that could just be me.

not sure but in s-af the sonys use contrast detect also ?
The new A7RV does work better with the 200-600. With teleconverters and without. I haven't done a lot trying it in dim light - mainly in bright light.

The new A7RV does work better with the 200-600. With teleconverters and without. I haven't done a lot trying it in dim light - mainly in bright light.
I did rent an A7r5 and seemed to have the same issues?

Silly question but is the lens updated with version 02?

Benefits and Improvements​

• Improves the Image Stabilization performance when used with the ILCE-7RM5 camera

• Improves the Image Stabilization performance when used with the ILCE-7RM5 camera
Yes, I did the update.

when it struggles this happens on occasions you have to remember the sonys af works from near to far it makes acquastion much quicker than going from far to subject , when this happens focus on something nearer to you than the subject then try to focus on subjects again it is the achillies heal of mirrorless cameras they love a background sometimes.

That’s a good question as mine is on 02 but I can’t remember any issue when it was on 01.

Doesn’t match my experience. I’m using A7iv. You?

Also, is there a firmware upgrade you’re missing?
Gaz

Doesn’t match my experience. I’m using A7iv. You?

Also, is there a firmware upgrade you’re missing?
Gaz
If you're addressing the OP, he's gone. Decided he liked his Nikon DSLR equipment better and divested himself of Sony.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back