200-600mm, how to motorize?

AntDX316

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Anthony
How do I motorize the 200-600mm lens so it can be like a smooth digital zoom?

How do I motorize the 200-600mm lens so it can be like a smooth digital zoom?
Really not possible, and even with an external source to move the zoom ring it would be very hard as the throw from 200 to 600 is so short, it's not even a full turn of the ring, more like half.

If you want a motorized zoom, buy Sony's bridge camera, the excellent RX10 IV, which has a range of 24-600mm and a very nice (fixed, non-removable) Zeiss lens. It has a small one-inch sensor, though, so images, while good, aren't going to have quite the same quality as those coming out of the full-frame 200-600mm lens. This is an excellent camera for travel in particular, but also serves nicely anywhere that one doesn't want to carry a full-frame camera body, separate lenses and possibly a tripod. I have one and there are times when I just grab it to shoot something rather than put a lens on my A1 or A7R IV.

Really not possible, and even with an external source to move the zoom ring it would be very hard as the throw from 200 to 600 is so short, it's not even a full turn of the ring, more like half.
It is possible either with an already direct solution or a newly developed one.

If you want a motorized zoom, buy Sony's bridge camera, the excellent RX10 IV, which has a range of 24-600mm and a very nice (fixed, non-removable) Zeiss lens. It has a small one-inch sensor, though, so images, while good, aren't going to have quite the same quality as those coming out of the full-frame 200-600mm lens. This is an excellent camera for travel in particular, but also serves nicely anywhere that one doesn't want to carry a full-frame camera body, separate lenses and possibly a tripod. I have one and there are times when I just grab it to shoot something rather than put a lens on my A1 or A7R IV.
yeah, I'm not looking to spend more to downgrade

It is possible either with an already direct solution or a newly developed one.
It would be incredibly difficult to motorise this zoom, you can't change the internals of the lens, so it would have to be an external source. Just not viable

It would be incredibly difficult to motorise this zoom, you can't change the internals of the lens, so it would have to be an external source. Just not viable
I mean to grip it from the outside then rotate that with a motor. Even a jar opener would work. It's amazing how people don't make.

I mean to grip it from the outside then rotate that with a motor. Even a jar opener would work. It's amazing how people don't make.
Yes, ok of course that would work, but not automated. Have you handled a 200 600? As I mentioned, it's not even a half turn from 200 to 600. You could have a motorised wheel to turn the zoom, like a thumbwheel, but it would have to move incredibly slowly. What do you want to use this for?

Yes, ok of course that would work, but not automated. Have you handled a 200 600? As I mentioned, it's not even a half turn from 200 to 600. You could have a motorised wheel to turn the zoom, like a thumbwheel, but it would have to move incredibly slowly. What do you want to use this for?
Church streaming was my experience. Everytime I have to zoom or unzoom even w/ the tightest and expensive tripod video setup it will vibrate the recording for a bit

Church streaming was my experience. Everytime I have to zoom or unzoom even w/ the tightest and expensive tripod video setup it will vibrate the recording for a bit
Right. I think that you will struggle to improve that, even with the smoothest external form of drive, because any kind of motor system will add some vibration, even with a really good, dampened gimbal. It would be slightly easier if the throw for the zoom was longer, but you will also always have a sudden stop at each end of range with any motorised source, especially external.

If you have 3 smaller motors like planetary gears it should work. The issue is no one bothers to engineer for it because no one cares. With enough basic programming and engineering it can be done but no one does it.

Back