200-600mm

Soundmike

Followers
Following
Name
John Cawthorn
I've put this under the astro heading as I have just been attempting to capture the ISS transiting the moon . But as usual the weather turned and it was cloudy anyway while I had the 200-600mm out thought I'd practice on the moon in between cloud breaks . Anyway took a few and came in and noticed a lot were out of focus, I've got a really heavy and sturdy tripod so I knew that wasn't the problem . It was fairly windy so I went back out and put the camera back on the tripod ,I observed the lens and noticed it was moving ever so slightly . Back inside I stripped it down and took the foot off and that's when I noticed that the four screws that have the plate with the thread in were all loose . Thought this was worth mentioning in case anyone wants to check their lens for the same reason I had . Went back out and seemed OK but the wind had really got up by then. One other point,experts reckon when using a tripod Oss should be off but I accidentally left mine on ,realising this I switched off but to tell you the true I couldn't see the difference. I was looking back on the camera and not a full computer screen but even so zooming in I couldn't see the difference . Just wondering if people think that when it's windy it's worth leaving OSS on.

I'd say off really, it can't compensate enough for wind, and may make things worse trying.

All my moon shots are hand held as the moon is quite bright and higher shutter speeds can be comfortably used. Focus is more of an issue so I tend to focus manually.
Clouds and atmospheric interference can upset the best of intentions so there's a bit of luck there too. Living in Tasmania is probably an advantage.

I use a tripod and manual focus.
Mine are not really that sharp either.

Last edited:
I don’t like tripods so tend not to use them. I hand hold or use a monopod.

Back