4K Monitor

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
And don't let the size be an excuse for not going 4K 32": if you can fit a keyboard and a mouse in your desk (edit: and my standing desk is as small as it gets) you can fit a 32" monitor too

21-11-17 09h07m50s #0063 S.jpg

Last edited:

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
We may not all be chasing the same rabbit. A 27" is currently a pretty good size. But I will check it out. SONY Trinitron came to market as a 12" screen and was dazzling. I can easily watch a small screen quite easily and do watch TV on my Amazon Kindle Fire when on the road. Likewise a mono table radio can work for a symphony. This is not to say I do not enjoy a large screen TV or a killer stereo. I do but am not shackled to the device. And I need that spare change for black cigars. strong drink, fast cars and dangerous women.

The ASUS Pro Art 32" starts at US$800 and runs up to US$4500. That's a lot of cigars.

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
This is why I am considering the Mini, because you can add whatever screen you want, and price wise it's not so bad. I started on Macs, and still have a 10 year old iMac, which I don't currently use, but agree that being tied into the locked architecture is a pain.
I would not go with the M1-Mini: 2 TB ports is not enough. 1 used for an external TB SSD working drive, another for a card-reader. Then you want to do a tethered session, connect an archival HDD drive and you are already out of ports and into unplug/plug hell.
Waiting for M1max-Mini with 4x TB ports to upgrade from MacMini-2018 (the TB e-GPU experience with this one was/is a complete disaster).

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
I would not go with the M1-Mini: 2 TB ports is not enough. 1 used for an external TB SSD working drive, another for a card-reader. Then you want to do a tethered session, connect an archival HDD drive and you are already out of ports and into unplug/plug hell.
Waiting for M1max-Mini with 4x TB ports to upgrade from MacMini-2018 (the TB e-GPU experience with this one was/is a complete disaster).

I'll avoid Apple/Mac as I do not want to buy software for that platform. I have enough software on W10 and Linux. And then there is restricted software offerings to deal with. The whole Apple/Mac deal is objectionable and I am not sure it is better other than the new M1. They'll eat everybody's lunch with that. You can be sure Intel and AMD's legal departments are looking for loopholes in the patents. And other companies, too. This is an entirely new direction and a bridge to the newer technology whose name I forget but has the state where one switch can be positive and negative. Woohoo! I hope I live long enough to see some of this.

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
I never use tethered. I literally just need the internal HD, and one external to back up to, so import on card reader and eject it still leaves me a port. It would work fine for me.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.