Birds A few test shots with sigma 500 4.5 a-mount screw drive lens lea-5 and Sony a1

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
As title quick test with Sony a1 lea-5 Sigma a-mount 500 4.5 screw drive lens from the late 1990s , it works quick, focus and a few bits need a bit of refinement
robin 2024 1.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 300mm F2.8
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 5000
robin 2024 2.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 300mm F2.8
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 6400
robin 2024 3.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 300mm F2.8
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 5000
robin 2024.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 300mm F2.8
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 4000

The metadata is a bit confused, but the photo is quite sharp!

The metadata is a bit confused, but the photo is quite sharp!
Yep Chris capture one do not have a profile for the old Sigma 500 and clearly it imported as if it was the 300g 1, my bad (y)

Yep Chris capture one do not have a profile for the old Sigma 500 and clearly it imported as if it was the 300g 1, my bad (y)
Aside from the 300mm bit, I'm actually surprised you got as much detail in the metadata using the lea-5 and an old lens.

Aside from the 300mm bit, I'm actually surprised you got as much detail in the metadata using the lea-5 and an old lens.
Well I am not really a few tweeks and all the shots will be sharp for sure and bare in mind hand held and no lens stability (y)

Very nice!

So then we DON'T need to spend $12k on a lens, or we do? I am so confused... :LOL:

Very nice!

So then we DON'T need to spend $12k on a lens, or we do? I am so confused... :LOL:
Just trying to work that out myself but it seems clear that if the little effort here, works with the sigma 500 4.5 then should be good with the Minolta 4.5 400. So just saying good glass is still good glass, yes CA needs some work but it should be doable. anyway been offered a 600mm f4 at decent money but I can not say I want to lug that around

Which one is that Spud? They had 3 versions, all were well thought of.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 184126.jpg

You should start an image sample thread for it.

I don't know if it needs dialled in much as those look good to me. Its a tempting option when the light is low.
Thanks Iain for comments I hope to get some better light and just refine things a bit, most of a-mount screw drive lenses have been packed away for some time while I had the a9 because that did not give me screw drive with the lea-5 (y)

Thanks Iain for comments I hope to get some better light and just refine things a bit, most of a-mount screw drive lenses have been packed away for some time while I had the a9 because that did not give me screw drive with the lea-5 (y)
I noticed the A1. Seems a few people have got one.

I noticed the A1. Seems a few people have got one.
Yep the a9iii long wait was a bust again for me completely not what I had hoped for, a some what crazy camera really, so A1 and lets see what we can do with it going forward makes more sense for me I think(y)

Yep the a9iii long wait was a bust again for me completely not what I had hoped for, a some what crazy camera really, so A1 and lets see what we can do with it going forward makes more sense for me I think(y)
Even though I still do sports I think the A9iii is over kill especially as it's still only 24mp. The A1 is a better all round camera.

Even though I still do sports I think the A9iii is over kill especially as it's still only 24mp. The A1 is a better all round camera.
Unless your livelihood depends on that perfect moment the ball hits the bat/racket etc., the A9III isn't necessary. For about the same amount of cash the A1 represents better value for the average person.

Unless your livelihood depends on that perfect moment the ball hits the bat/racket etc., the A9III isn't necessary. For about the same amount of cash the A1 represents better value for the average person.
I have images with ball on bat, foot on ball at 11fps so I don’t think a A9iii is needed for that, it might make it easer.

Back