View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

lagaffe

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Patrick Mayer
Hello,
Sharing experience with shooting A-mount lenses on the Sony A7IV.

I have both the LA-EA4r (Monster modification) and LA-EA5 adapters.

In general, the LA-EA5 is much faster to focus and better in terms of usability (except with the Minolta 500mm f8 Reflex, which shines when used with the LA-EA4r, as you can use any focus point). As for the LA-EA4r, I'm using it because it allows usage of dedicated Minolta teleconverters. For instance, the Minolta 200mm f2.8 HS APO works with the adapter and the dedicated Minolta 1.4x and 2x dedicated teleconverters.

However, I've had some caveats with this combination (LA-EA4r + Minolta 200mm): when using continuous AF with bursts, the first shot is usually ok but following shots are completely out of focus. This happens regardless of target movement. In other words, usage is pretty much restricted to single-shots, one at a time.

Another issue I've seen with this combination is related to exposure: when stepping down the lens to f8, it happens that the exposure varies from shot to shot in burst mode (single shot AF). Variation is ±1 step. I think this is due to the TC as it introduces a bit of backlash/hysteresis in the aperture mechanism.

Anybody else has experienced this kind of issue with adapted lenses or other oddball combination?

I have only the LA-EA5. I use it with the 7M4 and 9 (soon to be 10) A-mounts. The closest to your 200 is the 80-200/2.8 HS APO. The only TC I have is a generic that makes everything MF on the adapters, but I don't use them much anyway. If I want longer reach I go for the Sigma 100-400 or Sony 200-600. My recent purchase (expected tomorrow) is a Minolta 100-400 APO.

With the 80-200, AF works very quickly and accurately, and the camera tracks well. I am able to track cars at the track and even change between cars. The 500/8 Reflex works well, but as you know is limited to the center focus. That doesn't bother me much for the lens's use case which isn't typically fast action, since I'm used to the old school focus/recompose.

I was under the impression that the Monster modification precludes the use of screw drive lenses. I had read that a converted LA-EA4 would only work with self-driven lenses after the modification. I plan to pick up a used LA-EA4 at some point so I can expand A-Mount AF use to my 7RM3, but have no interest (at this point) in anything beyond the old Minoltas.

Hello,
Sharing experience with shooting A-mount lenses on the Sony A7IV.

I have both the LA-EA4r (Monster modification) and LA-EA5 adapters.

In general, the LA-EA5 is much faster to focus and better in terms of usability (except with the Minolta 500mm f8 Reflex, which shines when used with the LA-EA4r, as you can use any focus point). As for the LA-EA4r, I'm using it because it allows usage of dedicated Minolta teleconverters. For instance, the Minolta 200mm f2.8 HS APO works with the adapter and the dedicated Minolta 1.4x and 2x dedicated teleconverters.

However, I've had some caveats with this combination (LA-EA4r + Minolta 200mm): when using continuous AF with bursts, the first shot is usually ok but following shots are completely out of focus. This happens regardless of target movement. In other words, usage is pretty much restricted to single-shots, one at a time.

Another issue I've seen with this combination is related to exposure: when stepping down the lens to f8, it happens that the exposure varies from shot to shot in burst mode (single shot AF). Variation is ±1 step. I think this is due to the TC as it introduces a bit of backlash/hysteresis in the aperture mechanism.

Anybody else has experienced this kind of issue with adapted lenses or other oddball combination?
have you got the front curtain shutter turned off on the camera? I have used the lea-4 on the a9 a7iii and was not aware you could use the Minolta tc with the lenses, I have the apo 200 hs, apo 300 2.8 apo, 400 hs apo, sigma 500 ex 4.5, I use the lea-5 all the time with the Sony 300 2.8, So as you see I am A big fan of prime lenses, I have added a couple of shots from 400 4.5 lea 3 manual focus! I picked up the wrong adaptor that day, third and fourth lea-4 a7iii sony 300 g mk1 2.8
tiger 2019 27.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500
tiger 2019 26.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500
tiger (2).jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400
tiger 1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400

@spudhead, I think we talked about this before, but stopped short. I'm thinking about the LA-EA4 to use on my 7RM3 and a possible future 7R that I can keep in my vehicle. I know you lose a 1/2 stop with the plastic semitransparent mirror but would like to see some more image examples. Does it degrade the images enough to worry about? Looking at the tiger shots, it appears maybe a touch softer. Thoughts?

@spudhead, I think we talked about this before, but stopped short. I'm thinking about the LA-EA4 to use on my 7RM3 and a possible future 7R that I can keep in my vehicle. I know you lose a 1/2 stop with the plastic semitransparent mirror but would like to see some more image examples. Does it degrade the images enough to worry about? Looking at the tiger shots, it appears maybe a touch softer. Thoughts?
I don't think it's an issue Tim what you are seeing on the tiger with the 300 g 2.8 is slightly soft but that's driver error shutter speed is a bit slow handheld and was shot at a hundred yards + away also the 300 g prime is really difficult to nail between 2.8 -3.5 its sharpest at f4 and up image 3 is a 5-meg file and the head shot is a 1.5 meg

I have only the LA-EA5. I use it with the 7M4 and 9 (soon to be 10) A-mounts. The closest to your 200 is the 80-200/2.8 HS APO. The only TC I have is a generic that makes everything MF on the adapters, but I don't use them much anyway. If I want longer reach I go for the Sigma 100-400 or Sony 200-600. My recent purchase (expected tomorrow) is a Minolta 100-400 APO.

With the 80-200, AF works very quickly and accurately, and the camera tracks well. I am able to track cars at the track and even change between cars. The 500/8 Reflex works well, but as you know is limited to the center focus. That doesn't bother me much for the lens's use case which isn't typically fast action, since I'm used to the old school focus/recompose.

I was under the impression that the Monster modification precludes the use of screw drive lenses. I had read that a converted LA-EA4 would only work with self-driven lenses after the modification. I plan to pick up a used LA-EA4 at some point so I can expand A-Mount AF use to my 7RM3, but have no interest (at this point) in anything beyond the old Minoltas.
In fact, it is the opposite: a modified LA-EA4r works only with screw driven lenses. It does not work with SAM or SSM lenses.

have you got the front curtain shutter turned off on the camera? I have used the lea-4 on the a9 a7iii and was not aware you could use the Minolta tc with the lenses, I have the apo 200 hs, apo 300 2.8 apo, 400 hs apo, sigma 500 ex 4.5, I use the lea-5 all the time with the Sony 300 2.8, So as you see I am A big fan of prime lenses, I have added a couple of shots from 400 4.5 lea 3 manual focus! I picked up the wrong adaptor that day, third and fourth lea-4 a7iii sony 300 g mk1 2.8View attachment 27047View attachment 27048View attachment 27049View attachment 27050
Good point about the front curtain shutter: I'll try with the full mechanical shutter and find out if the issues go away :)

As for the TC working with the Minolta AF 200 f2.8 HS APO: this works only with the modified LA-EA4r (Monster adapter). It does not work with the LA-EA4 or LA-EA5, unfortunately.

Beautiful shots, by the way :)

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back