Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
This is an 11 inch magic friction arm, clamped to the hood over my stove, and connected to the camera via Ulanzi Claw quick release plate. The camera used is my A6400 equipped with a Tamron 24mm lens.

20210807_155252.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/39 sec
  • ISO 250

The good: I was able to clamp to the hood over the stove, no permanent fixture required.
The bad: the magic friction arm kept slipping ever so slightly (enough to annoy me), I guess you get what you pay for, and this one was cheap.
The ugly: very hot spot for filming. I often had to remove the camera to let it cool down a bit (but thankfully the quick release plate made that easy)

The best part of this setup was the Ulanzi camera quick release plate. I'm going to buy one or two more of these, I can imagine transitioning from overhead to tripod to Gimbal with relative ease.

Most people use their phone to shoot their food :D

Most people use their phone to shoot their food :D
Haha including yours truly, but this is for taking video of the cooking process.
I actually showed this to a pro photographer and he told me that (a) the wood trim I'm clamping to isn't strong enough for sustained use as an anchor, and (b) I should have a backup tether for the camera. He's correct on both points of course.
I may use a gopro for this camera angle in the future, which would be less risky than putting the A6400 there.

Haha including yours truly, but this is for taking video of the cooking process.
I actually showed this to a pro photographer and he told me that (a) the wood trim I'm clamping to isn't strong enough for sustained use as an anchor, and (b) I should have a backup tether for the camera. He's correct on both points of course.
I may use a gopro for this camera angle in the future, which would be less risky than putting the A6400 there.
That's cool. Do you have a food blog or similar then?

That Cook-top is disgustingly clean. Having said that, I would be filled with worry about a good camera over my Beef Stew. (Like I can make Beef Stew. Right.) :(

That Cook-top is disgustingly clean. Having said that, I would be filled with worry about a good camera over my Beef Stew. (Like I can make Beef Stew. Right.) :(
haha no Jeff, its not that clean, but I did try to clean it up before the photos so thanks for noticing!
I have also been scared off from this setup due to the possibility of steam and aerosolized grease in the event I try to record something frying in a pan.

I have a friend on a professional cooking set who has promised to take a photo of how the professionals do this, but I already suspect that they have support frames and remote cameras hanging from the ceiling with long zoom lenses to safely take this kind of video shot.

haha no Jeff, its not that clean, but I did try to clean it up before the photos so thanks for noticing!
I have also been scared off from this setup due to the possibility of steam and aerosolized grease in the event I try to record something frying in a pan.

I have a friend on a professional cooking set who has promised to take a photo of how the professionals do this, but I already suspect that they have support frames and remote cameras hanging from the ceiling with long zoom lenses to safely take this kind of video shot.
Ka-ching!

Back