Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
What is the purpose of the little window on the face of this battery? If I look at my battery, I can see the word "Sony" or the letter L or R if I tilt it. A few minutes ago, I could see a number but now I can't. Any help on this?

Not a window but a hologram that shows the serial number if you tilt it into the light.

To guarantee that the battery is an authentic Sony one, rather than a counterfeit.

Sadly, counterfeiting batteries has become common. If you get a "really good price" on an FZ100 battery on eBay, there's a pretty good chance it's a fake.

Someone on another site claimed these "cheap" batteries were real Sony batteries that had just barely failed quality assurance tests, and so they were a good deal. I really doubt that.

The holograms are one step manufacturers have taken to help us avoid counterfeits.

There was an article this year or last year about spotting counterfeit Canon batteries - some of the fakes are pretty good. Canon thought the problem was big enough that they put out a quiz on spotting the fakes.

Interesting and valuable information. Thank you to all the replied.

Back