Sony A7 IV A7IV appears to focus on eye but focus box moves after shutter release?

jav_eee

Followers
Following
Name
Javier
Good morning,

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Lately I've been using bird and human eye detect a lot and have noticed that the focus box does seem to be on the eye but when the pic is taken it will have shifted off to the side. I first noticed this with birds and wrote it off as the camera being tricked by the feathers but this weekend it was happening with kids. They were moving a little quick as they were running around with easter eggs but not super fast. Again though, it seemed like the camera was locked onto the eye UNTIL i pressed the shutter.

Any tips or settings I should look at for this? I was using AF-C with the tracking sensitivity set to 3 and the shutter priority set to "release".

I thought i read in the user guide that sony recommends "balanced" for most situations as it give you the best, darn i have to say it again, balance...
I like your idea of tweaking it per custom use and will probably copy your settings.
I get the idea of balance in theory but the focusing speed of the bodies and lens is such that the movement has to be pretty significant before it starts to cause issues when set to focus. If something reaches that movement level it is probably beyond what balance is effective for.

I will need to check, but I'm almost positive I use focus release at the drag strip. Fast enough for the M4 set to Hi with mechanical shutter and RAW.

Seems to be good up to about 250 miles per hour anyway...

Back