Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A7R + A7R II A7rII + Zeiss 24-70 == grinding

Followers
Following
Name
collinb
Started today. Won’t AF and can’t MF. Makes a nasty grinding sound.
Sounds like the lens.
Thoughts?

Do you have another lens to try? Sure sounds like the lens, it'd be nice to double check.

Too bad. From the sound of your post, it's well out of warranty. Check into the following for a good used replacement with warranty:

MPB
KEH
Used Photo Pro

You can get one in excellent condition with a 180 day warranty for $380 from MPB.

They have a bunch at KEH too, a little more expensive but the same 180 warranty.

Buy with confidence. Both of these resellers are top notch. I have a warranty exchange going on with KEH right now.

You can get one in excellent condition with a 180 day warranty for $380 from MPB.

They have a bunch at KEH too, a little more expensive but the same 180 warranty.

Buy with confidence. Both of these resellers are top notch. I have a warranty exchange going on with KEH right now.
I’ve bought from KEH before. Tx

I’ve bought from KEH before. Tx
I've bought from both. My return experience with MPB is better than KEH. That's not to say KEH has ever declined a warranty replacement, but they seem to try and limit their loss on your dime.

I just returned a Sony LA-EA4 adapter that isn't hitting on all cylinders. Some lenses work, some don't, some work intermittently. All are compatible to the same degree per Sony. I emailed them for a replacement. The one I bought was in Excellent Condition. They only thing they had in stock was Excellent +, they wanted me to pay the difference between the two, not something that I've ever seen as a qualifier for their warranty exchange. In addition, the initial purchase was made with a holiday discount which no longer applies. I protested and never heard back, then called CS. I got ahold of a different CS person and explained the situation, and they are making a direct exchange. They even sent a shipping label so the return didn't cost out of pocket.

The one time I've had to return something to MPB it was instant, no nonsense, no caveats. Just a clean exchange.

I like KEH, but my eyes are now wide open. I'll still deal with them but will keep this nugget in my back pocket.

I read through an article on this lens. The sound it makes ... wouldn't surprise me if that coil came loose and was beating itself back and forth trying to focus.
But I'm not about to take it apart ... not yet.

I read through an article on this lens. The sound it makes ... wouldn't surprise me if that coil came loose and was beating itself back and forth trying to focus.
But I'm not about to take it apart ... not yet.

Ok so I love Zeiss glass but over the years they have had the very issue mention on several lenses, I had as I recall a-mount 16-80, cracking lens but it started with the issue you mentioned and quickly became un-useable.

New in Marketplace

Back