Accidentally shot videos in photo mode Sony A7IV

roshchristian

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rosh
Hi all,

I'm still quite new to the Sony A7IV as I am learning how to use this camera through trial and error.

I am currently vlogging my Hawaii trip and I go back and forth with video mode and photo mode. I accidentally filmed my videos on photo mode with around 30-50 video files that were filmed in photo mode. Does anyone know what should I do to recover these video files from the photo section of my SD Card THMBNL folder to my CLIP folder? Nothing has been deleted as I have these files still but I really do hope this is not a major issue because I would still like to have these video files recovered so I can add them to my Youtube Vlog. Has anyone gone through this problem? I would highly appreciate any help! Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Rosh. I have an A7IV myself, but have never done what you have done. Have you tried playing any of the clips that you shot that way?

How is it possible to film videos in photo mode? Isn't the camera either set for still photos or videos? If it was in photo mode, don't you end up with 30-50 photos and NOT "hidden" video clips?

Also a 7M4. I am not a video person, but on the rare occasion I do, I just push the video button while still in photo mode. The files are in a different folder, can't recall what it's named, possibly 'private', but they download like any other file. This shouldn't be an issued at all.

How is it possible to film videos in photo mode? Isn't the camera either set for still photos or videos? If it was in photo mode, don't you end up with 30-50 photos and NOT "hidden" video clips?
There is a switch to say “I am in video mode”, and there’s a red button to say “record video now”.
My understanding is the you can press the red button even in photo mode (I don’t know if you can press the shutter button in video mode) and it does record video.

Does it make a difference? I don’t know. On the new A7RV, your settings depend on mode, so maybe you’ll have some photo setting affect your video? That might be sub-optimal.

There is a switch to say “I am in video mode”, and there’s a red button to say “record video now”.
My understanding is the you can press the red button even in photo mode (I don’t know if you can press the shutter button in video mode) and it does record video.

Does it make a difference? I don’t know. On the new A7RV, your settings depend on mode, so maybe you’ll have some photo setting affect your video? That might be sub-optimal.
Interesting (and a bad design IMO). I don't shoot video at all so I have never hit the red button (though I do see it now next to the shutter button on my A74). It is bizarre that button would still be active in still photo mode.

Interesting (and a bad design IMO). I don't shoot video at all so I have never hit the red button (though I do see it now next to the shutter button on my A74). It is bizarre that button would still be active in still photo mode.
if i remember correctly you set the movie button to only work when in video mode

It is very NORMAL for that button to be active in photo mode. Every digital camera I've ever owned that shot both acted exactly the same way. In fact, I'd think it was odd if it didn't. I can easily catch a video on the fly without having to change modes, twist dials, or go to the menu just by moving my finger and pushing the little red button. It's fast.

Now, I don't know what settings it uses, I would image whatever the video version of Auto is or perhaps whatever your base settings are. I've never cared enough to look, but may now out of curiosity.

On my A7 IV, when in Photo mode, if I press the Movie button my camera displays my AUTO ISO Minimum Shutter Speed setting. This is due to custom programming.

Hi all,

I'm still quite new to the Sony A7IV as I am learning how to use this camera through trial and error.

I am currently vlogging my Hawaii trip and I go back and forth with video mode and photo mode. I accidentally filmed my videos on photo mode with around 30-50 video files that were filmed in photo mode. Does anyone know what should I do to recover these video files from the photo section of my SD Card THMBNL folder to my CLIP folder? Nothing has been deleted as I have these files still but I really do hope this is not a major issue because I would still like to have these video files recovered so I can add them to my Youtube Vlog. Has anyone gone through this problem? I would highly appreciate any help! Thanks!
Hi, Roshchristian.
Your video files should be in the CLIP folder regardless of what mode you were in when you pressed the REC button.
M4ROOT
- | CLIP

They will have a .MP4 file extension.

Back