Followers
Following
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Alderbrook is a funky neighborhood in my town, distinguished by its slightly different approach to life.

DSC00496.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

DSC00498.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 75.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

So the first one, houses in that area are raised for what reason?

So the first one, houses in that area are raised for what reason?

The most obvious, water. They face the Columbia River and are at river level or below. The back yard is large and damp. If you look closely at the left of the house in the little side garden there is a pipe, the sewage pipe. For some of the homes it is quite high and a struggle to step over. These are old "shotgun" homes used for housing mill workers in mills no longer here. As luck would have it I almost bought this home fifteen years ago. It was damp and in very sad shape and I could not face what it would take to make it habitable. The house next door was part of the deal and they were both cheap but I just did not want to face all the rehab they would require. The house itself is real eye candy now and the folks who live there are very nice. Had I done the deal I would have had income property in a funky little area of Astoria, almost entirely hidden, quite independent and kind of self-regulating.

The space under the houses is known as a "summer cellar" here. To my knowledge they are just enclosed space over a cement slab and not used. We also have "Finnish stairs" which are too many stairs in too small a hole. The result is that the rise is too great in relation to the tread and the stairs are very steep. I have two sets of them in my home and they sure are a generous opportunity to fall. The Finns who built their homes did it with the help of friends and neighbors, not architects. We also have "Astoria basements" for basements whose foundations are far above the ground. Again, I would guess it is water that is the cause. We get 80+ inches of rain a year. Sunshine is a vague memory. ;o)

Appreciate you explaining it to me, that makes sense, houses over here in the UK are very uniform in how they are made, mostly brick on ground level. Some places have wooden houses but these are normally expensive areas and some are raised but not to many.

The one of many things I envy about USA is the space and size of the houses and land (may be an assumption). When I went to New Jersey for work, my USA counterpart invited me to stay at his house as the hotel was lifeless… his house was just wow and massive, he said if I moved to the USA this would be the standard of living for me, I don’t plan on moving out the UK but a house like that over here would be over 1 million in this area I live in.

However I love the UK for all its green and rain sodden land!

Funky indeed

Appreciate you explaining it to me, that makes sense, houses over here in the UK are very uniform in how they are made, mostly brick on ground level. Some places have wooden houses but these are normally expensive areas and some are raised but not to many.

The one of many things I envy about USA is the space and size of the houses and land (may be an assumption). When I went to New Jersey for work, my USA counterpart invited me to stay at his house as the hotel was lifeless… his house was just wow and massive, he said if I moved to the USA this would be the standard of living for me, I don’t plan on moving out the UK but a house like that over here would be over 1 million in this area I live in.

However I love the UK for all its green and rain sodden land!

Yeah, you could move here and get a grand house but there would be no fire to sit in front of for tea and a blather in the evening. And you would be giving up the wonderful UK fish and chips, and more. I remember them at 2S 6d and always get a sixpence extra chips. Rolled in brown paper, wrapped in newspaper and piping hot when you got off the bus at home where there was tea waiting along with a spot by the fire.

You may have smaller houses but you also have the pubs for social life and camaraderie and that is a way different scene than here. The ex and I went out to The Thistle and Rose in her hometown in Scotland on a Saturday night for the sing. Her aunt was with us and there were great cries of, "Lizzie, come on, gie us a sing." Her aunt did, "Auld Scots Mither Mine" and there was not a dry eye in the house. Don't let anyone tell you that the Scots are cold and heartless. That does not happen out here. You live in a wonderful place. And I bet the fish and tatties are guid where you are, too, laddie.

This is just added to give a fuller idea of Alderbrook. As you can see, water is a problem.

DSC00499.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 132.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/750 sec
  • ISO 100

Yeah that pic highlights the water! :)

Back