Another (soon to be) Sony convert

conger71

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Andrew West
Hi everyone

After a lot of research (too much - my partner has the patience of a saint), I have recently sold my Nikon gear (a D2xS with 17-55, 80-400, 105 macro and a Tamron 12-24) in order to move to full frame mirrorless. I have dropped the hammer on a Sony A7III with 24-105mm f4 as a starting point, and I am 99.99% confident that I will be getting the 100-400mm to supplement. I am stupidly excited to see what a performance upgrade this will be, in terms of AF, ISO performance and general usability.

I am a keen hobbyist, but looking to really get to grips with Lightroom and PS, as up to this point I have been admittedly lazy and shot mostly jpeg with minimal (and probably very amateurish) processing. But the results were pleasing to my eye, but I know I can get so much more, with good technique and importantly, feedback from those who know far better than I do, on forums like this.

I have varied interest in landscape, occasional wildlife, family or pet shots, and also finding the abstract from the normal. I have a stupid amount to learn, but looking forward to this next chapter.

I'm based in the countryside - just on the Suffolk/Essex border close to Nayland - with some stunning countryside in easy reach. I'm engaged to a very patient and loving woman, who I think is itching to get into the photography bug herself. I have a beautiful 18 year old daughter who can't stand being photographed (looking forward to being able to shoot in stealth mode); I have become a step-father to 3 rescue dogs who are far more willing to model for outdoor photoshoots (walks).

Looking forward to contributing, and learning and loving the Sony platform, tech and lenses.

ATB.

Andrew

Welcome Andrew and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself. The a7III is a very good choice. The 100-400 is also a cracking lens but personally I'd go with the FE 200-600 if you want a little more reach and don't mind the extra size and weight over the 100-400. The handling of the 200-600 is much nicer thanks to the internal zoom design.

Welcome! I, too, am new to Sony. I recently sold all my Canon gear and went all in on Sony with a new a7rv.

Hi Andrew and welcome.
I also sold up my Canon equipment after buying my A7C. I shoot mostly with my 24-105 f4 and it is a simply amazing piece of glass.
Enjoy

Welcome! A while back (2019) I traded in all my Nikon gear for Sony and I really have been very, very happy with this decision ever since. I know it's a scary step to take but at least t for me it was absolutely the right move to make. Enjoy your new gear and Happy Shooting!

Welcome Andrew. I agree with Tim, look at the 200 600, it's phenomenal

Back