Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Edinburgh
Recently been wondering about using Olympus MFT for bird pics. The gear is lighter than my Sony camera and lenses and as I do tend to crop a lot for small birds is MFT actually more practical?

The new Olympus lenses get rave reviews as does the OM-1, it is very good at high ISO, allegedly, and noise levels can be controlled. Obviously it is only 20Mp compared to 50Mp on the A1 but wondered if anyone uses both and reasons for this.

If you want to lighten the load, then M-4/3 has the advantage. I came from M-4/3 and still frequent the forum. To be honest, there isn't much difference in the shots I see from here to there. M-4/3 image quality is top notch, it's not why I left. I came to Sony for much better AF and have decided that low light and DR are two reasons to stay.

OM has done a good job of controlling noise, but I think it's done computationally and it really only kicks in at a certain ISO setting. There were complaints about it by users for middle range settings. I honestly don't recall where that was, so research first. There was plenty of debate about the noise issue when the camera was first released, many weren't happy with it and sent it back. Some said the EM1-III and X had better noise control through the middle.

OM also improved their AF significantly. I think the OM-1 and OM-5 are the only two M-4/3 cameras that you can say that about though. Until Panasonic drops their new (and evidently fantastic) AF into a M-4/3 body instead of just FF, I wouldn't look to Panasonic at all.

If the goal is reach, size, and weight, then it might be worth taking a look at. The rest of it is kind of a grass-is-greener thing.

I shoot Olympus MFT mainly for underwater because of the size/weight advantage for air travel. MFT is great for wildlife if you stay within its limits. 1: You need to fill the frame in camera, the ability to crop in post is very poor compared to FF. 2: You need good light, if you shoot at high ISO a lot 3200-6400 like I do MFT is not very good. Stay within these limits and MFT is as good as FF. My own wildlife cameras are A1 and Z9 with a set of long primes, the MFT is just used underwater.

During my recovery following a stroke, I could not physically manage my FF gear. Adding MFT (I chose Olympus) to my arsenal allowed me to continue to enjoy photography until I was strong enough handle my heavy DSLRs.

The funny thing is that along the way I became immensely appreciative of the compactness, weather protection and incredible IS of the Oly gear. Only after I got stronger and purchased a A7RM4a did I return to FF.

While I much prefer FF format over MFT, I still use the smaller gear when portability is a concern and when shooting macro subjects.

During my recovery following a stroke, I could not physically manage my FF gear. Adding MFT (I chose Olympus) to my arsenal allowed me to continue to enjoy photography until I was strong enough handle my heavy DSLRs.

The funny thing is that along the way I became immensely appreciative of the compactness, weather protection and incredible IS of the Oly gear. Only after I got stronger and purchased a A7RM4a did I return to FF.

While I much prefer FF format over MFT, I still use the smaller gear when portability is a concern and when shooting macro subjects.
I had forgotten about OM's incredible weather sealing. Definitely a plus for birds/wildlife/sports.

I've an eM1 and a7ii, with an eP5 in the way. The a7ii is quite recent but μ43 gear has been with me for years. Currently use 12-60 and 100-300 Lumix zooms, and 3rd-party primes.

I recently switched out my APSC system for MFT so I'm not at the point to be authoritative on this subject. I mainly went MFT for nature/macro, not birds exclusive. Much lighter carry over my Sony gear and there is a certain comfort in knowing that my gear is IP53 rated. You might find this article "Merits of a Smaller Sensor" interesting:

A YT released today.

Dennis might test against the 200-600 G if enough people ask for it.

A YT released today.

Dennis might test against the 200-600 G if enough people ask for it.
It's an $8,000 lens. I would hope it could stand up.

Back