Anyone used the Sony APS-C 70-350mm on the A7r3 or A7r4?

Robert E

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Robert Gromen
Country
United States
City/State
Strongville, Ohio
Hi all, I'm considering this lens, the Sony G 70-350mm APS-C to use on my A7r4 body, as opposed to the Sony G 70-300mm FF lens. Reason being some of the reviews I've read on both, indicate the 70-350 is a better built and sharper lens than the 70-300 model. Even thought it would be in "crop" mode, I'll still realize approximately 30 MP captures for wildlife photography.
Any one had any experience or input on this?

My FE 70-300 is marginally sharper than my E 70-350 wide-open although I only compared them on my a7III and not the a7R IV. I have used the E 70-350 on my a7R IV in crop mode and it's a nice lightweight combo that I'd prefer to carry with me than the FE 70-300, there's not much in build quality between them, both are G lenses. There are a couple of sample photos from the E 70-350 on my a7R IV in this post: https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/a7riv/sample-images/

Hi Tim, I looked at your photos, downloading the larger copies. Lens seems very nice, good color rendition and sharpness.
The other lens I'm considering which is close in price, is the new Sigma 100-400 DN.
Can you comment on that one? Many thanks!

I do have the Sigma 100-400 although I've not used it a great deal yet so wouldn't like to comment on it too much. That said, the image quality appears to be very good and the autofocus performance is reasonable but not quite as fast as a native Sony lens. I do plan to do a proper review of this lens and a comparison with the Sony 100-400 but that's a good few weeks away at the minute I'm afraid. Here are a couple of shots I've taken with it on my a7III.

This was cropped to 2300px
kite-a7iii-sigma.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 320

franksigma2048.jpg

I found a super deal on a mint FE 70-300mm for even less than a E 70-350mm, so I'm going with that for now. I won't have the extra on the end, but will have the ability to crop and enlarge that way if needed. Will wait for a deal on the new Sigma 100-400 DN as I'm one of those frugal guys that hates paying retail for camera gear that usually depreciates like a rock after you've bought it. :)

I have the 70 350 and i like it. It has dual linear motors and is great for shooting dogs and smaller birds in action that come flying for bread crumbs. I get better photos with the 100-400 and 200600 which use the whole sensor.

Stupid question time....

If the 70-350 is used on a full frame body like an a7III, does it crop automatically as in reduce the amount of sensor used and image output to 10 mega pixels or would that only happen if I selected the super 35 option?

Thanks in advance.

Stupid question time....

If the 70-350 is used on a full frame body like an a7III, does it crop automatically as in reduce the amount of sensor used and image output to 10 mega pixels or would that only happen if I selected the super 35 option?

Thanks in advance.
There are no stupid questions :) I think by default the super 35 mode is set to auto, so it will detect if you are using an APS-C or full-frame lens and change the mode accordingly. Unless you have it set to manual, then you need to change it yourself.

Thanks Tim - what if I don't change it, will it not work or do I lose length?

Thanks Tim - what if I don't change it, will it not work or do I lose length?
If you put an APS-C lens on like the 70-350 and don't change it to super 35 mode then you'll get pretty heavy vignetting.

Ah ok. Makes sense now.
Just after a cheaper long range lens for my son’s football.
Thx again.

Ah ok. Makes sense now.
Just after a cheaper long range lens for my son’s football.
Thx again.
It might be worth considering the new Tamron 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 Di III that should be available soon. I've not tried the lens myself so can't comment on the performance sadly. It's a full-frame lens so you won't need to shoot in crop mode on the a7III.

Just read about that one on the home page. So I could use that lens and the APS-C/Super 35mm mode for even further reach like I do on a 70-200?

Just read about that one on the home page. So I could use that lens and the APS-C/Super 35mm mode for even further reach like I do on a 70-200?
Yes or you could just crop in post as well, but then you have the option.

Thanks Tim - just getting my head around this feature and which lenses go with which mounts etc.

Thanks Tim - just getting my head around this feature and which lenses go with which mounts etc.
No worries! Normally full-frame lenses from Sony have FE in the name (full-frame e-mount) and their APS-C lenses just have E in the name.

It get's a little confusing with third parties like Tamron as they don't have FE or E in the name to help identify full-frame and APS-C lenses, so you have to check the spec sheets.

That's exactly what's been confusing me (although it doesn't take much these days) ;) There doesn't seem to be a lot of 3rd party choice at this range.
Thanks again.

Back